Oil & Fuel fuel stabilizer?

/ fuel stabilizer? #1  

TSMART

Silver Member
Tractor
jinma jm 224
Does StaBil work on deisel??

At summers end I will not use my new jinma 224 till next summer, so if the tractor sits there for a few months should I use stabil OR should I just run it totally out of fuel??

Or should I store it FULL of fuel??? Just curious.

/ fuel stabilizer? #2  
There are products called diesel fuel conditioners that would probably be a better idea than StaBil. For winter use, select one that specifies that it has anti-gel properties. I never know when the local suppliers start adding anti-gel to their underground tanks in the fall, so I add my own. Doesn't hurt to put conditioner in previously treated fuel.

But if I were to store a diesel vehicle over winter, I think I'd do it with a full tank of conditioned fuel. Fuel systems can't rust when they're full, plus you don't have to go through the aggravation of priming and bleeding come spring.

//greg//

/ fuel stabilizer? #3  
TSMART, I don't know if youre tractor is going to be stored in shelter, under a tarp, in a damp area etc.....

.Just a couple of things to think about. Cover exhaust pipe outlet, lower FEL down on something to keep the bucket off the ground, coat any exposed Hyd cyl shaft with grease to keep it from rusting, lower rear 3pt lift, could put a block of wood to keep the clutch pedal depressed, do not store with brake pedals depressed, could take off negative battery terminal, cooling system has proper protection, I would store with a full tank of fuel.

Ronald

/ fuel stabilizer? #4  
I put my tractor to sleep and the end of November/early December, and wake her up in March. As Greg, suggested, I use diesel fuel conditioner with anti-gel. Also as he said, fill the tank. Do all of what RanchHand, as well.

Additional recommendations:
- Do and engine oil/filter change such that the acids don't sit in your crankcase over the winter.

- If you haven't used the injector primer pump in a while, unscrew it and give ita few pumps. They tend to stick/sieze up if not used over time.

- Hit all grease fitting to push any possile water out. Especially the FEL fittings.

- I remove the battery and keep in charged in the basement. Still on the original chinesse battery.

- Spray some silicone on any exposed metal to help prevent rust.

- Fill tires to the high side of their ratings or use jack stands to keep tires, and weight off tires.

- Plug air cleaner to prevent mice infestation. I also use numerous mothballs to help prevent bug and mice from amking you tractor home.

Here is the write-up I did awhile ago: http://johnstractor.com/files/TractorStorage.htm

Pics of mine in winter: http://johnstractor.com/SnowMa.html