Jinma 284 Overheating

/ Jinma 284 Overheating #1  

TJW

Tractor
Jinma 284 LE
Hello - New to the forum.
My 284LE overheats when I am brushcutting. I run it in 2nd gear. The main issue seems to be the radiator getting grass seeds plugged in it. Also the hood seems to keep the enging pretty hot. If I run it with the hood up in the early morning, it runs at about 100C. I think I need to pressure wash the radiator again to get the crud out. I use an air compressor, but it doesn't quite do it.
It seems this wasn't engineered very well. Has anyone figured out a good modification for this or a work around??
Thanks.

/ Jinma 284 Overheating #2  
If you do a search you will find a lot of discussion on overheating while mowing. Some have filters to help. Some just blow the radiator out with high pressure air. In the summer I am using plain water no antifreeze.
Harold

/ Jinma 284 Overheating #3  
there is a screen that is supposed to be in front of the radiator, but stuff will get through around it. some have used household furnace filters with good success, but it must be kept clean.

/ Jinma 284 Overheating
Thanks. I think I'll try the furnace filter idea.

/ Jinma 284 Overheating #5  
Can't see your tractor, so I'm gonna speculate that the air filter housing is in front of the radiator. Lousy place. Diesel intake suction creates negative pressure up there, and can significantly reduce air flow through the radiator. Poor little plastic fan doesn't have a chance. So I bought a section of 2" suction hose (suction hose is designed not to collapse under vacuum), connected it to the air intake hole, ran it over the radiator, over the intake manifold, and alongside the fuel tank. Sucked in nice cool air down by my left knee. Ran too cold in the winter though, had to go with a shorter section of hose routed over the exhaust manifold (to suck in warm air).

The cooling fan is supposed to be completely surrounded by the fan shroud. Adjust it and/or the radiator as required to optimize air flow.

Pressure washers and aluminum radiator fins don't mix. Stick with compressed air, even if it means taking the radiator outa the tractor.

Also, a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and distilled water on an otherwise closed cooling system (good cap/no leaks) will raise the boiling temp. Much better than plain water.

I started using the cheap blue furnace filters myself. At 50 cents each, you don't even have to bother cleaning. Throw away and stick in another 50 center. Unfortunately, I could never find one the right size, and always ended up cutting down a larger one to fit the Jinma radiator. I don't use them anymore, since I found a heavy duty universal filter at WalMart. It's dark green in color, does not require a cardboard frame, and can very easily be cut to fit. It also can be removed for cleaning. It looks to be pressure washer safe, but I usually get mine clean enough just by taking it out and hitting it a few times on the tractor tire.

//greg//

/ Jinma 284 Overheating
Thanks Greg, that gives me lots of options. I should be mowing up a storm in no time.
TJ

/ Jinma 284 Overheating #7  
DO NOT use a pressure washer or other high force water to clean the radiator, you will do a LOT of damage to the fins. Even a straight stream from a garden hose or air from a compressor at close range can do a considerable ammount of damage. Since the debris was sucked into the front, it would make sense to blow it out from the rear but the fan and shroud make this impossible without disassembly. About the best I have found is to use a shop vac with a soft brush attachment from the front and suck the debris out the same way it came in. You may have to carefully pick at the more stubborn pieces with a toothpick to loosen them up.

I know on mine I can feel the airflow from the fan/radiator on my right leg.

I also get debris past the removealble screen on mine and am working on this problem as well. I was thinking a finer mesh screen to replace the hole in plate type sieve screen that mine came with. I think this would also flow a little more air than the stock one, but still be reasonably easy to clean like the stock one is.

It is habit for me to scan the gauges frequently and with 70-75 degree air temp, my temp gauge runs about 80-85 while running the mower. If it creeps up toward 90, I stop and clean the filter and it goes right back down to low 80's. I run a 50/50 antifreeze mix.

/ Jinma 284 Overheating #8  
If you have an air compressor then go to Harbor Freight and purchase the long (24") air gun. You can then blow out the radiator from behind and do a fairly decent job by using some gymnastic manuevers!

/ Jinma 284 Overheating
Thanks, I thought of that and I am looking for one.

By the way, has anyone had a problem with the little clear plastic hose collapsing between the oil filler cap and the air induction? If this was a car I would say it was the PCV system.
Mine is completely collapsed and split. Can I just replace it with vacuum line??

I've put a 100 hours on my tractor without too much work and now I am looking at dialing it in a bit. Had a problem with my fuel over the las week. Lots of crud in the bottom of the tank. Replaced the cheap plastic sediment bowl with a glass one from NAPA, I was getting air in the fuel system causing problems. Still have some crud in the tank, but it's working it's way out.
TJ

/ Jinma 284 Overheating #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( By the way, has anyone had a problem with the little clear plastic hose collapsing between the oil filler cap and the air induction? If this was a car I would say it was the PCV system.)</font>

There shouldn't be much vacume on that hose to cause it to collapse, unless your air filter and crancase breather filter are really clogged. As for a replacement, I would say an appropriate size vacume hose would be ok.