Just bought a TS354, few questions plz?

/ Just bought a TS354, few questions plz? #1  

michaelTS354

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kama TS354C
I did all the research I could find on this tractor before i bought it and hope I made a good decision.The tractor starts fine so far. Not a big deal for a tractor but the fiberglass body work is very poorly finished. My question is what to check or do before i put it to work. I notice some of you recommend changing the fluids. If so what engine oil is recommended and approx. how much does it hold. The owners manuals are very poor to read and understand. I will only be using this tractor mainly on weekends, bush hogging and using box/scrape blade. Also the dealer i bought from said a 2004 Ford Ranger 4cyl. oil filter would work, is that true for the oil and fuel filter? I look forward to using this machine and hope it will last me a long time. Thanks for any help

/ Just bought a TS354, few questions plz? #2  
Unless your find a "2004 Ford Ranger oil filter" that is listed as a diesel application, I think I'd take that recommendation with a huge grain of salt.

But since I don'thave any actual hands-on TS354 experience myself, I'll leave the rest of the answers to those that do.

//greg//

/ Just bought a TS354, few questions plz? #3  
Chip would know of any American filters that would fit

Jim

/ Just bought a TS354, few questions plz?
Ok thanks, I have read some of his posts, maybe he will chime in here. This is my first tractor.I read the post on replacing the factory chinese gear oils and am considering doing that as well before I get this thing going. I just want to make sure this tractor lasts me a long time and is enjoyable to use as well.

Michael

/ Just bought a TS354, few questions plz? #5  
You can use NAPA filters, 1516 oil and 3195 fuel, you will likely have to back out the nipple on the oil filter a few threads as the NAPA filter is concave at the top and the chinese filter domes upward (convex).

/ Just bought a TS354, few questions plz?
Ok, thanks Chip, thats what I will go with. Last question, what is recommended for engine oil, I would like to use the best possible, and is anyone using synthetic in these Kamas?

/ Just bought a TS354, few questions plz? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( what is recommended for engine oil, I would like to use the best possible, and is anyone using synthetic in these Kamas? )</font>

Been using Shell Rotella-T 15W40 in all my diesels for years. And I abide by the advice to hold off on synthetic lubricants for these tractors, till they are fully broken in. The general number of hours tossed around is usually 300.

//greg//

/ Just bought a TS354, few questions plz? #8  
I love my TS354. Its like a Sherman Tank one guy said on here once and he was right! I took the advice from Chip and Greg on the Rotella oil. You will be amazed on what comes out of all the fluid resevoirs, YUCK. But this tractor is more than strong enough to do what we do with them.