smoke coming out crankcase breather

/ smoke coming out crankcase breather #1  

toby74

The respirator/crankcase breather on the side of a JM284LE is blowing greyish smoke out of it. Smoke smells and looks kind of like exhaust. The tractor has 10 hours on it. The tractor seems to run fine for the most part. It does have a slight miss when you first start it up, but seems to straighten out pretty quick, then when you run it at full throttle, it is skipping a beat every couple seconds. Exhaust looks fine, nothing out of the normal. The tractor was full of oil with around 6 hours on it, and now at 10 hours it is about half way to the fill line. So it is eating oil. Oil pressure is good. Does not appear to be any water or anything in the OIL, the oil looks brand new, no darkening. Antifreeze is still full, and does not appear to be dropping, no bubbles or anything in the radiator. Air filter is clean, no blockages. I have used the pump to make sure that there is no air in the fuel lines, does not appear to be any. As I was checking it out and it started to warm up, I noticed a strange squeaking noise when I would idle it down, and when I would pull the fuel stop. It sounded like it was a squeaking coming from inside or around the exhaust pipe.

Does anyone have any idea what this problem could be?
Is it safe to run it in this condition?
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

/ smoke coming out crankcase breather #2  
doesn't sound good, could be a ring was not put on the piston correctly or a wrist pin clip came off or was left off and the wrist pin is eating the cylinder wall.
I don't think its a valve unless the valve guide is displaced and oil is running down the outside of the guide into the cylinder.
Either way you have a problem, hope you bought it from a dealer with support, if not time to pull injectors one at a time and look at the tips for signs of oil.
Another thing that comes to mind the squeek could be a bent push rod and that would cause a miss also, but not cause it to eat a lot of oil. The only way to tell for sure what the problem is would be to take it apart and start looking.
one quick test would be to take valve cover off and start it, see if the blow by is coming from around a valve or from the oil drain and push rod holes, around a valve would be a bad guide from the drain down hole it would be piston related.
Hope that helps, hard to say without hearing and seeing the tractor, good luck
Jim

/ smoke coming out crankcase breather #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is it safe to run it in this condition?)</font>

I would not reccomend running it in this condition any more than is necessary for troubleshooting. I think there is only potential to do more damage. Since, I am assuming it wasn't doing this earlier in it's life and it is now venting blowby gasses out the breather at 10 hours, it would be a good assumption that whatever is wrong is only getting worse.

Jim pretty much summed it up other than the possibility of a cracked piston. At any rate, it should not be doing what it is doing at only 10 hours if it was broken-in properly.
With only 10 hours on the machine, I would be looking into warranty repair. A reputable dealer should stand good for something such as this. If you self imported/crate-assembled, at the very least, you should be due some replacement parts. Good luck.

/ smoke coming out crankcase breather #4  
We have had some before with a bad ring or missing rings,the squealing does not sound good,If it's a real LE it should have come with a warranty from the selling dealer,if you self imported it could be a HD and you may be on your own,we stock alot of parts if you don't want to wait the couple of months it may take to get them through the warranty route, however we cannot honor your dealers warranty for parts

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ smoke coming out crankcase breather #5  
Hopefully under dealer warrantee, but if not, after the valve cover, the next item is to remove is the head and inspect the cylinder wall. Should be very obvious if broken or missing ring.

/ smoke coming out crankcase breather #6  
Tommy: you should update you're profile so that people can see where you are located. that way it would be easier to get in contact with you other than ssending PMs.

just a thought.
MarkM