How much oil in injector pump?

/ How much oil in injector pump? #1  

George_Martin

I am in the process of changing the oil in the injector pump of my Jinma 284 with y385 engine. The tractor is 4 months old with only 20 hours. I removed the fill/breather plug, the drain plug, and the rubber cap off the overflow. Only 2-3 oz. came out of the drain. I have seen 2 web sites on how to change the oil. One says to add oil 1 oz. at a time until it comes out the overflow and that it will take about 4 oz. total. The other says it will take about a pint. So far, I've put in 5-6 oz. and nothing is coming out of the overflow. I am concerned because so little came out when drained. Should I add more oil? Is just removing the rubber cap off the overflow enough or does something need to be loosened? Thanks.

/ How much oil in injector pump? #2  
No way it holds a pint, just a few ounces. be sure to give time for the oil to flow forward to the overflow at the front of the pump.

/ How much oil in injector pump? #3  
<font color="blue"> So far, I've put in 5-6 oz. and nothing is coming out of the overflow. I am concerned because so little came out when drained. Should I add more oil? Is just removing the rubber cap off the overflow enough or does something need to be loosened? Thanks.
</font>

Hey George,

On my 224, with a y380t engine: I did as you did, and left the plastic/rubber cap off of the overflow drain. I continued to add oil, until I saw it start to drip out the overflow drain. I don't remember exactly how much oil that it took, I think that it was somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 quart(Just a guess). But you can get a visual guess as to how much it will take, as the reservoir that you are adding oil to, has to get about 1/2 full, before the oil will start draining to the other side, where the overflow drain is located. Then I let the tractor sit overnight, so that I knew that all of the excess oil, would have time to drain out. You probably don't have to let it sit for more than a couple of hours though, to allow for the excess oil to drain, but that is what I did.

I used 30 wgt Non Detergent, what type oil, did you use?

Get your tractors running &
Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ How much oil in injector pump? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I used 30 wgt Non Detergent, what type oil, did you use?)</font>

Joe, I'm thinking you might be happier in the long run with a detergent type lubricant in there. Consider that the injection pump is a small engine that compresses diesel fuel up rigid injector lines. In that sense, you might consider it a small multi-cylinder compressor. And one of the things that can go wrong with compressor motors - is failure due to carbon buildup.

That why I use compressor oil. It's ISO100 (equivalent to about 20W) and has special additives (detergents) to combat carbon buildup. I'm not saying that everybody should use compressor oil, but at least I think it might be wise for you to go to a detergent oil

//greg//

/ How much oil in injector pump? #5  
<font color="blue"> In that sense, you might consider it a small multi-cylinder compressor. And one of the things that can go wrong with compressor motors - is failure due to carbon buildup.

That why I use compressor oil. It's ISO100 (equivalent to about 20W) and has special additives (detergents) to combat carbon buildup. I'm not saying that everybody should use compressor oil, but at least I think it might be wise for you to go to a detergent oil
</font>

Hey Greg,

How's everything up in Kentucky? We're still running around, from the Hurricanes down here.

Well, If I go to a detergent oil, and since I am using Rotella 15w40 in the Engine. Do you think that the 15w40, might be better for the injector pump, than a 30w High Detergent?

By the way, how much are you having to pay for the compressor Oil? You may have made a convert out of me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can you get the compressor oil at Wal Mart? You know Wal Mart is my favorite store, for trying to save money. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again Greg, and how's that kama running?

Have a nice day,

/ How much oil in injector pump? #6  
I have a Farmpro 2425 (Jinma 254 w/ Y385 engine). It took 6 oz to fill the injector pump to the proper level. I used Campbell Hausfeld compressor oil from Walmart.

FWIW, I changed all of the fluids earlier this year. The transmission, injector pump, hydraulic, and engine oils actually looked pretty good. Flushing the transmission and hydraulics didn't yield any nasty residue (though the hydraulic screen did have lots of metal particles). The only fluid that came out in jelly-like clumps was the one for the front differential. I now have 180+ hours on the meter, and the only problem I've had was a broken fan belt.

/ How much oil in injector pump? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do you think that the 15w40, might be better for the injector pump, than a 30w High Detergent?
By the way, how much are you having to pay for the compressor Oil?
Can you get the compressor oil at Wal Mart? )</font>

Joe - the 15W40 will definitely be better than the ND30W, and (in my estimation) compressor oil superior to both. If your WalMart sells compressors, they should sell compressor oil. I just happened to get mine at Lowes, three bucks for a half quart bottle I think. Comparatively pricey, but then again you only use a few ounces at a time.

//greg//

/ How much oil in injector pump? #8  
<font color="blue"> the 15W40 will definitely be better than the ND30W, and (in my estimation) compressor oil superior to both. If your WalMart sells compressors, they should sell compressor oil. </font>

Thanks Greg,

I'll get right on it and go get some Compressor Oil from Wal Marts today. Do you think that the Campbell Hausfell Compressor Oil, will be ok to use? Down here Greg, The temps are really on the Hot side. Do you think that the 20 wgt compressor oil, will be heavy enough? It's about time to change out the oil, in the Fuel Injector Pump anyway, so now is a good time to do it.

Thanks CSH, For Backing up what Greg has been trying to tell me for quiet a while now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Great to know that you are having good luck with your 254. I've got about 135 hours on my 224 and so far so good. Nothing has broken yet, and the maintenance free battery that came with mine is doing good. Although my tractor plates and stickers say mine is a 224,, The engine plate disagrees and states that mine is only a 20 hp. The 2 other horses arn't that much, but I sure could use them quiet often.

Thanks Again,
Have a nice day,

/ How much oil in injector pump? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do you think that the Campbell Hausfell Compressor Oil, will be ok to use? Down here Greg, The temps are really on the Hot side. Do you think that the 20 wgt compressor oil, will be heavy enough? )</font>

Pretty sure what I have in my KAMA is Campbell-Hausfeld. And I need to apologize for a typographical error. Too late to edit the correction in to the above post, but ISO100 is the equivalent of 30W - not 20W. Sorry.

The viscosity of lubricants sold in America are based on SAE standards (example 30W). ISO standards are metric (example ISO100). So if it helps HERE is a chart to illustrate the relationships among the various markings you'll find on lube containers.

//greg//

/ How much oil in injector pump? #10  
<font color="blue"> Too late to edit the correction in to the above post, but ISO100 is the equivalent of 30W - not 20W. Sorry.

The viscosity of lubricants sold in America are based on SAE standards (example 30W). ISO standards are metric (example ISO100). So if it helps HERE is a chart to illustrate the relationships among the various markings you'll find on lube containers.
</font>

Hey Greg,

You've made me a convert, Greg. I really appreciate the comeback with the corrected viscosity, and the Chart verifies that the ISO100 is exactly 30wgt. Just what the Doctor ordered.

Thanks again Greg. You may have saved me a lot of money, down the line, in the durability of My Fuel Injector Pump.

These Tractor Forums should Put you on the PayRoll, with all of the Helpful Technical Information that you have provided over the years. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have a nice day,