Torque for Rocker Arm Assembly Bolts?

/ Torque for Rocker Arm Assembly Bolts? #1  

JINMA224XR

Gold Member
Tractor
2004 JINMA 224XR, (1990 SHINNIU 254/sold)
Does anybody know, what the correct Torque is supposed to be for the Bolts/Nuts, that hold the Rocker Arm Assembly on a Y380T engine?

Or is there a way to check how much torque is allready on the Bolts?

Have a nice day,
Joe

/ Torque for Rocker Arm Assembly Bolts?
Well, I noticed that 45 people have read the original post.

With no replies, then I am assuming that about 45 others here in the Chinese Section, are also needing this information as well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don't trip over yourselves trying to answer this Highly technical question.

Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Torque for Rocker Arm Assembly Bolts? #3  
in what increments is your wrench adjusted? 2lbs?, 5lbs?

I'd set the wrench at around 35 lbs and start tightening. Adjust the wrench torque higher by increment until you get movement in the bolt. When the bolt moves = tightens the torque was the previous setting. Of course if the bolt moves at 35 lbs. set the torque lower say 15 lbs go to another bolt and repeat the process until the correct torque setting is determined. At that point set all the bolt to that torque. Of course, this assumes that the bolt you use to determine torque was set correctly. It might be worth going to a third bolt and confirm the torque setting by starting at a lower setting and repeating the process.

<font color="blue"> I did a search on the site and here is a good description of the process and the torque.
http://johnstractor.homestead.com/JMretorque.html
Mark H
</font>

Hey Mark,

They gave the values for the Head Bolts, but did not mention the bolt values for the Rocker Arm Assembly Bolts.

I don't know how they got to the head bolts with a torque wrench, without removing the Rocker Arm Assembly.

Have a nice day,

<font color="blue"> I'd set the wrench at around 35 lbs and start tightening. Adjust the wrench torque higher by increment until you get movement in the bolt. When the bolt moves = tightens the torque was the previous setting. Of course, this assumes that the bolt you use to determine torque was set correctly. </font>

Hey N4807G,

Interesting.

Is this a method that you are comfortable with?

What happens when you encounter a bolt/nut, that is allready at the maximum of it's torque strength and you continue to tighten, using your method? Oops, do we have a Plan B.

Have a nice day,

/ Torque for Rocker Arm Assembly Bolts? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Don't trip over yourselves trying to answer this Highly technical question)</font>

Nothing techical about it Joe. Nothing Chinese about it either. Bolts are simply torqued based upon their size; for the most part that means diameter. Those nuts/bolts to which you refer are M8. Torque range of a M8 is 19-28 nm/m (14-21 ft/lbs) whether it's on a bicycle or a bus.

//greg//

Attachments

• 789686-threads.jpg
    789686-threads.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,537
   / Torque for Rocker Arm Assembly Bolts? #9  
I guess I assumed the bolts are already torqued and you just want to determine at what torque they are set. If that is the case this method should work fine. I suggested 35 as a safe low setting to begin. Frankly I'm not sure there is another way if you don't have the mfg's suggested torque value.

If you are concerned about shearing a bolt head (if I read your response correctly don't be). Undoubtedly the bolts aren't tightened to their maximum possible setting.

Obviously make every effort to find the recommended setting 1st. The information is out there somewhere.

<font color="blue"> Bolts are simply torqued based upon their size; for the most part that means diameter. Those nuts/bolts to which you refer are M8. Torque range of a M8 is 19-28 nm/m (14-21 ft/lbs) </font>

Hey Greg,

Thanks Greg.

How much below max, do you recommend setting the torque wrench?

Have a nice day,
Joe