Smoke or condensation?

/ Smoke or condensation? #1  

michaelTS354

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kama TS354C
I got my Kama out to use for the first time at night, it was in the mid 40's and very damp feeling. After the tractor got warm it continued to exhaust white smoke, or could it have been condensation such as an automobile produces when its cold outside. It was hard to tell because the only light around was from my headlights. The tractor seeemed to run fine as I was just using the back blade to clean the horse stall. During the day it has only smoked at start up and a little until it is warm. The temp guage only got to around 80. Once again this the first time I have really got to use it, it has 4hrs on it. It has the factory fluids unless the dealer changed them. The 3 point lift works very quickly as does the power steering. I hope it was just exhaust steam and not smoke, but i dont know if diesels produce this like gasoline engines. Hopefully I can get it out again soon and see what it does in the day time.

/ Smoke or condensation? #2  
Most likely just condensation, not unlike seeing your own breath on a cold day. If it is particulate smoke - such as from incomplete combustion or incorrect fuel/air mixture - it will hang in the air like smoke - instead of dissipating immediately, like your breath.

//greg//

/ Smoke or condensation?
Thank you Greg, I guess I was just a bit worried, I am going to inspect further next time I start it up. I just put my first tank of fuel in since i had gotten it, could there also be some water in the fuel? I bought the off road diesel fuel but now I am wondering if that was a good idea being I dont know how old it is since it isnt purchased as much . Another question I have if you dont mind is about using the 3 point. Since the lower pto lever has to be engaged for the 3 point lift to work should I put the speed selection lever in neutral since i dont need the pto shaft while using the rear blade? Other than that I love my Kama so far and hope for many years of use and enjoyment.

/ Smoke or condensation? #4  
When fuel burns it produces water.

That is why you get that "condensation", white "smoke", out of the tailpipe on a cold day. After the exhaust pipe heats up it will completely evaporate the water and you won't see anything. Same with a car, once it warms up you don't see it unless it's VERY cold or VERY damp.

Don't worry about it unless like the other guy said, it "hangs". Now if it's like -40 outside, water vapor will "hang" too.

/ Smoke or condensation? #5  
Hi Michael, welcom to the Chinese tractor board on TBN.
On your TS354, go ahead and cut that lever by your left heal so that it is only a couple inches long, that way you can use it if you have to disconnect your hydraulic drive or PTO but will not accidently disengage it. I do not recommend using this lever to control your PTO. this liver slides a collal over the ends of two spined shafts. If either of the shafts is turning when you try to engage, you will get a grinding sound, some have tryed to force the engagement only to burr the endsof the collar making it impossible to engage. The best way to turn the PTO on and off is to select netural on the PTO lever.
Never attach an implement while the engine is running!

Do you have a TS354C or TS354X?

/ Smoke or condensation? #6  
<font color="blue"> I just put my first tank of fuel in since i had gotten it, could there also be some water in the fuel? </font>

Hey Michael,

It's probably nothing to worry about in your situation.

But just so that you will know. A tank that is not full will collect condensation inside the tank, and the less fuel in the tank, the more condensation will collect. Over time, that condensation, can be a significant amount of water inside the tank. That is why, in small planes, they fill the tanks up, before parking, so as not to risk water getting into the fuel lines, which can make for an exciting flight, especially on TakeOff.

Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Smoke or condensation? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( could there also be some water in the fuel? )</font>
Unless you can actually SEE water in the sediment bowl, I wouldn't worry much about water in the fuel tank. The specific gravity of diesel fuel is such that water will be at the bottom of the tank. If/when it gets to the point where it enters the fuel line, it has to go to/through the sediment bowl. If you check the sediment bowl regularly, water will be visible on the bottom of the sediment bowl. At that point you want to disconnect the fuel line and drain out about the bottom three inches from the tank. That'll take care of the water - till next time.

//greg//

/ Smoke or condensation?
Hello Chip, it is the 354C. Thanks to all the replies. I have 7 hours on it after today and am going to change engine oil soon. What is the best choice for oil filter. I read on here of a NAPA filter but you have to back out the the threads so the filter will grap them to tighten up. Do I have any other choices other than that?

Michael

/ Smoke or condensation? #9  
We have been recommending the NAPA 1516 or equivelent. sometimes you ahve to turn the threaded nipple the filter screws onto out some to reach the concave top of the US filter, the China filters are dished upward.

/ Smoke or condensation?
I referenced back the 1516 oil filter on the NAPA sight and it is for a 2001 Ford Ranger 2.5 4 cyl. I hope this helps some other TS354C owners so they may be able to purchase another brand if desired or if there is no local NAPA store.