shenniu "bison 25" ??

/ shenniu "bison 25" ?? #11  
Re: shenniu "bison 25" ??

you say it has a "busted housing" - what is a housing?

/ shenniu "bison 25" ?? #12  

Housing is the rock shaft housing whitch some people may call the lift arm housing the housing is the outer metal shell that holds the arms in place

/ shenniu "bison 25" ?? #13  

You mean the three point hitch lift arms? Front end loader lift arms?
Rock shaft as in rocker shaft? Lift arms as in rocker arms? Housing as in valve cover? :confused2::confused:

/ shenniu "bison 25" ?? #14  

I thought at first he meant the valve cover Bob, they're thick heavy cast items on these machines. But I eventually figured out he means the hydraulic sump under the tractor seat

//greg//

/ shenniu "bison 25" ?? #15  

Ah, yes - what I call the "lift box" or TPH sump. On my tractor that is a casting and if it broke I'd first try brazing it back together. Properly done, brazing will be stronger than the original metal. Silicon bronze rod and a TIG torch is my preferred method for repairing broken cast iron items, though malleable cast iron can be welded quite successfully using high-nickel filler rod and a DC arc welder.

I've seen a large number of old industrial machines with castings that had been broken and repaired and then used three shifts a day for decades.

/ shenniu "bison 25" ?? #16  

Unless it's the casting around the (rock) shafts themselves that's split/cracked. Given that's where the oil seals must seat, I'd say offhand that area is probably near on impossible to repair. I'm bettin' that's why the poster is searching for a replacement sump.

Not that I'm blaming the poster, he may be new to such forums. But I think you'll agree that we haven't been given very much info to work with here.

//greg//

/ shenniu "bison 25" ?? #17  

True that, Greg. It can sometimes be a bit frustrating to have to drag info out one piece at a time, but then I tend to err on the other side of the fence and provide reams of useless information when I have a question. :confused2:

Even if the sump/housing is cracked right through the seal housings a really good welder/machinist should be able to repair it and re-cut any seal/bearing seats. If it was mine I'd do it without a qualm, since I have the die grinders, milling machine, lathe, welders, etc. - but if I had to pay someone else to do the job right I'm quite sure it would be cheaper to just buy a new one - and have it shipped from China. There's a world of difference between welding/brazing a high-quality malleable iron casting and welding a Chinese gray cast iron.

Of course, if I did it, it would be painted and pinstriped, too. :laughing:

/ shenniu "bison 25" ?? #18  

You guys are finally getting the message and at least talking about the right housing . Where it is cracked i thing it would be diffacult to weld and make it hold.I,m not saying it,s not possible.And if that turns out to be the only way out i may try it.But i,d like to try to find a used one if i can .So any info on who might have one would be appreciated

/ shenniu "bison 25" ?? #19  

But i,d like to try to find a used one if i can .So any info on who might have one would be appreciated

Just out of curiosity, have you priced out a new one including shipping?
Might not be as bad as you think.

/ shenniu "bison 25" ?? #20  

No i have not priced any parts yet everything on my tractor is written in chinese except for 25 Bison on the hood so i was afraid i,d have a hard time ordering parts for it .there are also someparts broken on the inside haven,t taken it apart to asess the internal damage