KAMA 354 Shuttle Lever Adjustment?

/ KAMA 354 Shuttle Lever Adjustment? #1  

MrFixit

Silver Member
Tractor
KAMA 354C
So far I only drove my new 354 a few feet to park it in the garage until I do all the Maitenance this weekend. But I noticed something that may need attention:

When placing the Shuule Lever in Forward the lever hits the dash. Although it goes into gear I'm not sure it is going "All the Way" and I suspect damage will occur if not placed properly into forward.
The lever has no external adjustments (As I heard a Jinma does), it goes directly into gear box. I think my choices are:

(A) Move the dash forward. Yeah, sure.
(B) Find a way to internally adjust shifting mechanism.
(C) If Lever actuates a Gear for moving shift fork , find a way to reassemble lever with one cog different as to advance forward shifting.
(D) Take the easy route and place a slight bend in the lever so it no longer hits dash.

Although (D) seems the easiest I'm not sure if it is the correct method. If anybody has been through this with a KAMA and can offer any suggestions I would much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tim

/ KAMA 354 Shuttle Lever Adjustment? #2  
Have you tried reverse yet? You might be stuck in forward. If so, it's not a problem, and fixing it might also fix the lever throw problem.

//greg//

/ KAMA 354 Shuttle Lever Adjustment?
Hi Greg,

Forward and reverse seem to work just fine. But when engaging forward the lever taps the dash. If does not pop out of forward so I think it's fully engaged. But Thinking is not alwars good enough or me! Don't want to break the new tool (Toy)

Tim

/ KAMA 354 Shuttle Lever Adjustment? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If does not pop out of forward so I think it's fully engaged. )</font>

That's a fair guess. I've got the 45hp KAMA, and had the "popping out" problem. In doing so, it locked itself in one direction or the other. I'm thinking the shuttle linkage design on yours is similar. Near the bottom of the shuttle shift lever there should be a recessed set screw. Mine was painted over, so it went undiscovered for a long time. By carefully loosening that set screw while maintaining slight down pressure on the lever might shorten the throw a little. It also helps ensure more positive engagement of the ball & detente system used for this particular linkage.

//greg//

Hi Greg,

The lever itself has 2 openings (maybe set screws or roll pin) that I thought were for fastening the lever to the shaft that pertrudes from the gear box.

Is the screw you are reffering to part of the Lever or part of the gear box? Is there any easy way to provide a picture? When shifting into forward it feels like it goes fully into gear and requires some energy to pull it back out of gear. If there is a detent that should stop the lever from hitting dash than that is probably all I need to do.

Thanks again!

Tim

/ KAMA 354 Shuttle Lever Adjustment? #6  
We bend the rod on ours. about 4 to 5 inches from the end. Heat with oxy-aceteline torch, bend and repaint. There is no adjustment, everyting is pined with roll pins. I suppose you could gind off part of the ball that slides the fork, and build up the other side, or try to bend the shift fork some, but a nice professional bend in the lever solves the problem without creating any new ones.

/ KAMA 354 Shuttle Lever Adjustment? #7  
Apparently I was incorrect in assuming the 300 series and 400 series shared shuttle linkage designs. Sorry if it caused any confusion. Chip oughta know, he sells both.

Mine is a one piece lever; shift ball on top, pivot ball and shift finger on bottom. It goes through a hump on the cover plate. the pivot ball is under the hump, inside the cover. There is a spring tensioned dust cup over the hump, that is held in place with a cotter pin. Just below the dust cup is a hole in the side of the cover hump. That's where the recessed set screw resides. It and the cotter pin are what hold the hole thing together. The set screw fits into an angled slot in pivot ball. There's about a half inch or so of up/down movement that can be controlled with that set screw. Not enough down pressure from the tension spring, and the linkage can jump out of the detente.

Diagram attached.

..greg..

Attachments

• 817961-shuttle.jpg
    817961-shuttle.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 200
   / KAMA 354 Shuttle Lever Adjustment? #8  
Greg, it used to be the same as the KM, a lever on coming from the trans, but they re designed it about a year and a half ago. the lever uses a rotary motion of a vertical shaft (moved by alever much like a column shift automatic) a short extension under the cover is mounted at 90 deg which gives the forward/backward motion to the shift fork. on the TS we were never happy with where the shuttle shift had to be when it was a floor mount lever. to get it long enough for easy shifting there just wasnt room for the lever. This is the reason we started to import the creeper version, (which has its own advantages to boot), but now the shuttle under the wheel is very smooth shifting and works quite well, except the bend which we put on it at assembly, it is a knuckle saver.

Thanks Chip!

Another fine example of a Great dealer verses a dealer who just sells a tractor. If I bought mine from Chip this would have been modified properly before shipping it to me. Of course I tried to save a few bucks on shipping costs as Chip is way far from South Florida and bought mine from the other guy.

Tim

/ KAMA 354 Shuttle Lever Adjustment? #10  
Hey Chip,
I have a 2004 ts354c kama with the floor mounted shuttle. After a few tries I now have extended the lever in a "S" shape bend about 8 inches. It shifts much easier and I can reach it without bending or looking for it when I'm using the tractor. It clears everything and the "S" bend keeps it from being too close for comfort between the legs. I want to thank you for knowing your tractors and being willing to help us who are learning. Thanks.
Paul