Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #11  
That install looked really clean. I have been around jeeps for years and people have droped lots of different motors into those, but often they are not that cleanly done /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Could you regear your rear end to get lower revs? Just a thought.
Awesome conversion!

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #12  
whats it like for power compared to the Mazda?

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #13  
Dan, you have my full respect and admiration. I'm an old tool and die maker and now design holding fixtures, gages, machines, etc. and I know that you have challanged nature to change the way things are and the way you want them. Very nice job on the install and all the power to you. A job well done is a job forever.

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup
<font color="blue"> </font> (whats it like for power compared to the Mazda)
<font color="black"> </font> The Mazda was not running when I bought it so I really can't compare. However I don't think you could get by with any less power. When I take off even in city traffic I run it wide open, even then I sometimes fall behind traffic. However, it really is interesting how much torque the little engine has, the Mazda weighs about 3500 lbs and I have towed my flatbed trailer with 2200 lbs on it and another 1100 lbs in the bed of the Mazda (getting compressed hay bales for the horses) Just to let you know, I am running the engine at 2650 rpm. I don't know how many HP it is developing at that rpm but I don't think it's much over 28. This will be a great test for the Jinma engine, it already has burned all the paint off of the exhaust manifold right down to the cast iron, there are times I hold it wide open at maximum RPM for over an hour. I figure I have over 200 hours on it in 5 months, most of it running flat out. If it survives what I am doing to it, I can't imagine how long it would last a typical tractor user.

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #15  
<font color="blue">Just to let you know, I am running the engine at 2650 rpm. I don't know how many HP it is developing at that rpm but I don't think it's much over 28. This will be a great test for the Jinma engine, it already has burned all the paint off of the exhaust manifold right down to the cast iron, there are times I hold it wide open at maximum RPM for over an hour. I figure I have over 200 hours on it in 5 months, most of it running flat out. If it survives what I am doing to it, I can't imagine how long it would last a typical tractor user. </font>

Hey Dan,

What do you have the valve lash's set at?

Did you adjust the the high speed throttle screw, to get up to 2650 rpm's?

Have you retorqued the Headbolts?

I ask these questions, as I suspect that any trouble may begin on the Top End Side, but if the Headbolts are kept tight and the valve lash's are kept within specifications, it may make a huge difference on how long the engine will maintain service. What do you think?

I commend you on this project and hope that you will keep us updated on the engine's service life.

Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #16  
Dan,

Very nice. I'm sure many would question why not a used Mazda engine vs. a tractor engine...because it was a fun chalange!

Where did you get the engine? How much did it cost? Did you go with the 28 Hp for size or cost? I know my KAMA 45 Hp engine is a beast but it's big and heavy.

I've considered putting a diesel on a pontoon boat because I hate 2 cycle engines.

Again, nice work

Patrick

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #17  
Hats off to you sir! I'm in the process of repowering two different Jeeps even as we speak. (A CJ7 that's getting a Nissan SD33T, and an M38a1 that's going to be receiving an OM616 out of a Mercedes Benz 240D). You can see my last major conversion projecthere.

One question, didn't you have balance issues after you removed all of that meat from the flwheel? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Where did you get the engine? How much did it cost? Did you go with the 28 Hp for size or cost? I know my KAMA 45 Hp engine is a beast but it's big and heavy.)</font>

Hi Patrick. Not to but in or anything, but there's a Y385T running on eBay even as we speak. Check it out!

Don

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #19  
I have often thought about using a tractor or even a mower engine in a Model T frame. I think the power match of 28 hp or less would be fine. I think for your mazda truck you really need about 90 hp. I had a VW bus with about 40 hp back in the 55 mph days and it did ok but I blew one engine going 70 mph for a couple hundred miles. I think I used 3 engines in that old bus while I had it. I had to constantaly adjust the valves. Any way you are very talented (way more than me) and I look forward to seeing more of your projects...

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup
<font color="blue"> </font> (My counterpart at work is in the process of installing a Perkins(out of a Ford Ranger) into his "B" truck.. The issue will be titling it.. How are you handling that?)

<font color="black"> </font> When the installation was done on my pickup, I had increased the angle of the motor by about 5 degrees. This has not caused any problems possibly because the truck is a extra cab and has a CV joint between the two drive shafts. (The rule of thumb for engine swaps is the centerline of the engine/transmission shaft must be as close as possible to the angle of the centerline of the input shaft of the rear-end) The CV joint may be saving me from driveshaft vibration.
The good news about the Mazda pickups is that the front end steering components are very low, at the same level as the frame cross member allowing you to set the new motor low in the frame without having to make/ modify a new oil pan. (I used the stock one that came with the Jinma) Also the Mazda has adjustable front end height that uses torque arms, so if your new engine more heavy (the Jinma was) in just a few minutes you can adjust the height back to stock.