Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup
I used the stock Mazda Alternator because it had the factory built-in voltage regulator. If you look close you can see that I used the Jinma (engine side) mount for one of them. And then modified the Mazda tensioner. I took a few hours of work but I haven't had to touch it since then.

Hope that answered your question...

Have fun...
-Dan-

(How much oil does it use in 3000 miles?)

I change the oil every 1500 miles and the filter every 3000. I have not had to add any oil between changes.

It used quite a bit of oil for the first 1000 miles (1 to 2 quarts) before the rings broke in. It also had alot of blow-by (like a little volcano) for the first 3-6 hours.

By the way I am using an automotive oil filter for the engine. Its a Fram. I will post the number of the filter. It works great and gives me more clearance between the engine and the frame.

Thanks,
-Dan-

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #43  
Harry thansk: I'll look em over when i get down at the womans, I'm on Dial up here and really slow tonight?

Mark M
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(Will you use different size pulleys on the crankshaft and AC compressor?)

I took the stock Mazda waterpump pulley, turned it around 180 degrees and machined an adapter plate for it and mounted it to the crankshaft pulley. (see pictures in 'my gallery') The Jinma crankshaft pulley has several small tapped holes in it and I used those to hold the adapter down. The pulley adapter is centered on the crankshsft pulley be means of a small 'boss' that I machined into the adapter that is a light press fit into the crankshaft pulley's ID.

This 'Mazda water pump pulley' is smaller diameter than the original Mazda crankshaft pulley by about 1 1/2"

Being that the Y385T engine turns slower and the pulley is smaller I am in hopes that the A/C will not rob too much power from the engine (and that I will still be able to go down the freeway) and still have good A/C. (In the pictures you will see an unused pulley on the crankshaft, behind the pulley is the aluminum adapter)

What do you think?

My brother says that he will put a super-cold 'blend' of freon - butane into the A/C. Maybe that will help.

I have no idea what the A/C will do to the Mazda's power.
-But isn't that what makes it so much fun?!!-

I am open to you guy's ideas and comments..

-Dan-

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #46  
You can mount a smaller chinese diesel engine in the bed to run the a/c and other accessories....

On a more serious note, this is a very cool project and I appreciate the time you spend on responses, posting photos, etc. I thought at one time of putting a Yanmar diesel in an old 71 Courier, but it never happened. Keep up the good work.

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #47  
<font color="blue"> I do mostly freeway driving at 55-65 MPH (Not the best for mileage as I have to run the engine wide open to get to 65) My best mileage so far has been 53 miles per gallon. I average 37 to 42 miles per gallon most of the time.
</font>

Hey Dan,

Just a thought. But I have heard, but not seen the Power Curve Chart. That the Y385 engine has the most torque around the 2000 rpm range. If that is true, could you put a higher gear somewhere, maybe in the rear end, so that you could have a much faster top end speed, and overall better fuel mileage.

You are allready getting very good mileage, but an added gearing somewhere, might just help even more!!! And may help the durability of the engine, plus get you more of the top end speed that is needed nowadays on the turnpike's.

Just a thought.

Have a nice day,
Joe

(Just a thought. But I have heard, but not seen the Power Curve Chart. That the Y385 engine has the most torque around the 2000 rpm range. If that is true, could you put a higher gear somewhere, maybe in the rear end, so that you could have a much faster top end speed, and overall better fuel mileage.

You are allready getting very good mileage, but an added gearing somewhere, might just help even more!!! And may help the durability of the engine, plus get you more of the top end speed that is needed nowadays on the turnpike's.)

I have thought the same thing, however there are reasons that I think that I'm right on the edge of my horsepower. For instance there is a one mile long hill on the way home from work that slows me down to 40 MPH even if I get a running start. I have tried that hill in 5th gear and 4th and even 3rd (my max govenor speed in 3rd is 37 MPH) and it makes little to no change in speed. (I can't climb it in 5th, the engine 'falls off' and starts to die)

Also when going down I-5 there are times I have my foot in it and I can only go 53-56 MPH (Head wind ect) no matter if I'm in 5th or 4th (My maximum govenor speed in 4th is 57 MPH)

These things seem to tell me that I am reaching my maximum HP for the engine, and that even with 'taller gears' it would make little change to overall speed.

You make a good point with mileage. I have noticed that I can exceed 50 MPG if I keep the revs down below 2000 RPM. (That is about 56 MPH in 5th gear) If I run it at 2650 RPM (about 67 MPH in 5th gear) I get about 38 MPG. If I had a taller gear it would increase my mileage at 65-67 MPH, but I don't think I have enough HP at 2000 PRM. It's just a little dangerous going out on I-5 at 55 MPH so I tend to run it hard and go as fast as I can. I seldom 'limit out' on RPM's

BTW, when I have said that I run the engine 'flat out' it means that I have the govenor wide open but not that the engine is at it's maximum govenor speed.

Any thoughts?

I have thought about putting a High Power 12V commercial cage fan onto the intake tube as a 'turbo-charger' when needed. Graingers sells it for about $150.00 Do you think it would add anything?

Thanks,
-Dan-

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #49  
Since the generator is not having to compensate for the electrical draw of a gas engine, I would tend to think the smaller the crankshaft pulley the better. If your AC compressor needed to turn faster you could change the compressor pulley. I have used propane extensively in cooling systems, and it works great. I would think butane should do the same.
If you do go with a smaller crankshaft pulley, the waterpump will also turn slower. I think all would be fine except maybe in heavy stop and go traffic. May not be a problem even then.

/ Jima Y385T powered Mazda Pickup #50  
<font color="blue"> I have thought about putting a High Power 12V commercial cage fan onto the intake tube as a 'turbo-charger' when needed. Graingers sells it for about $150.00 Do you think it would add anything?
</font>

Hey Dan,

Well, my idea about the gear, won't work, if the engine doesn't have enough power. But if you turbocharge the engine, it might then.

That sounds very interesting!!! Turbocharging the engine.

I just don't know how these little engines would hold up to more boost. But there is that extra pulley on the Crankshaft for a compressor!!!! But then that would be SuperCharging the engine, with no lag, like in a Turbocharger.

I've got a feeling that before everything is said and done, that you will eventually get the power that you need out of that little diesel engine!!!!

Don't forget to at least check and/or adjust your valve lash.

Please keep us tuned, as to your next move.

This is getting interesting now!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif