GX 120 tiller hook-up

/ GX 120 tiller hook-up #1  

kbone1

Tractor
JM 354
I have a 4’ GX 120 tiller, my problem is that I can barely hook the PTO shaft to it do too how close it is to the back of my JM 354. I want to put my slip clutch on it but I do not have enough room. The lower arms are not adjustable and I do not want to cut my PTO shaft. Do they make adjustable lower link Cat 1 arms? Any help or suggestions or help would be great! I wonder if I would have had the same problem if I had bought the GX 150 (5 foot model)?

Thanks in advance,
kbone1

/ GX 120 tiller hook-up #2  
It is normal to cut the driveshaft to fit the tractor, be sure to cut from both halves of the shaft. measure for the shortest point between the PTO shaft and the input shaft on the tiller.

/ GX 120 tiller hook-up #3  
I don't know what a gx 120 tiller is? Is it a grey market tiller? I have grey market 5' and I have a JM354 tractor. I wound up having to seriously modify the mounts both upper and lower. I extended the pins to 15-1/2" from tiller housing center to pin centers to get enough room for clutch and proper drive shaft angle. A lot of compact tractor tillers mounts are too close. I used some serious 1/2" plate and made substantal mounts. If you don't, that Tractor can tear up weak 3pt mounts in a heart beat when a unseen object is hit with the tiller. Been there. Agri-Supply was the best price on PTO clutches, just make sure you know drive shaft makes styles & sizee. bjr

/ GX 120 tiller hook-up #4  
Picture One
Finally got picture size down for posting, so you can see what I did. bjr

Attachments

• 847933-Tiller Rebuild Second Time 003_reduced.jpg
    847933-Tiller Rebuild Second Time 003_reduced.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 161
   / GX 120 tiller hook-up #5  
Picture Two

Attachments

• 847936-Tiller Rebuild Second Time 004_reduced.jpg
    847936-Tiller Rebuild Second Time 004_reduced.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 146
   / GX 120 tiller hook-up #6  
A pdf file of print with dimensions bjr

Attachments

• 847974-TILLER Attachment Lugs Modification (1).pdf
    28.1 KB · Views: 155
   / GX 120 tiller hook-up #7  
My mower and tiller both came with directions on cutting the PTO shaft. Like Chip said that is normal.

Mark

/ GX 120 tiller hook-up #8  
Here is my dillemma.. I cut my shaft to fit a slipper in line on my 284, and sold that for a Kama 554. I have not tried it but wonder if now the shaft is too short??

/ GX 120 tiller hook-up #9  
I have the opposite problem with mine, the tiller shaft is too short, it works but I can't lift it very far out of the ground or else it will fall out, I already tore up the PTO sheild due to this, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have ont pto that was sent with my stuff when I bought the mower & all which was for a belly mower is all I can figure it is about 12" long lol. not much use unless I want to cut off the tubes & add on new ones... I was going to but a clutch just to extend the OEM tiller shaft long enough to keep it from falling out.

mark m

/ GX 120 tiller hook-up #10  
Just cut it again and see if it is still too short /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I would probably add the slip clutch (if this is a china tiller especially) but a new driveshaft is probably less costly.