Importing a chinese tractor

/ Importing a chinese tractor #1  

CajunFrog

Tractor
JM 354LE
I have been getting prices on a Jinma 354 tractor from several exporting groups in China. For the sake of the supporting dealers, I will not mention the prices here but to say the least their "factory" prices are very attractive. However, I am sure that it is not as good as the price on large volume repeat sales to dealers especially with special options. But the more I look into closing a deal to self-import the more confusion I encounter. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
For example, there are various options offered by the different groups on this tractor. The one with the best base price is not with an EPA engine & shuttle shift. He wants over $700 more for these options. That makes him right up with the others. He leads me to belive that since I am not intending to resell I can legally import the non-epa and pay a small $15 epa fee. Anyone know about this? He says that I am good as long as I get it before end of 2006. Also on the freight forwarding. The price quotes from freight forwarders on freight alone for the tractor range from $300 to $800 as LCL. One quotes around $300 LCL for 3500# tractor but wants $250 more for shipping a FEL along with it. Some go by weight but the cheaper seem to go by CBM.

As a side note: The ZL-30 loader is slightly over half the price of a Koyker but I hear they are very inferior so will probably go with Koyker. Any ideas on that.

No freight forwarder is willing, it seems, to commit to a price because it may be a month or so before they get the tractor from the factory. Then it seem I am left with the duties & fees incured after it gets here and there is a big ? with exactly how much that will be. They say "several hundred dollars".
The groups wants the money up front before they order your tractor. Then it seems you are left to the mercy of the freight forwarders. I would think that $700-$800 for a tractor and around $1000 W/FEL would be the high range for the cost of getting the tractor here & cleared thru port & customs.

Yes, I know that I can order a crate tractor from several dealers here in US and Canada and save a lot of the headaches and about $1500 less than one assembled and ready to work. But that is still at a premium of more than $1500 over my maximum estimated cost incurred with importing it myself. I know some people on this forum have probably imported thier own tractors successfully and at considerable savings. Any tips please pm me. Anything to point me to a safe, reliable, and ecconomical (read "cheap") freight forwarding company for getting this done would be greatly appreciated.
Lastly, I want to say that without the dealers we would not know about these wonderful little "cheap" tractors and that they do a remarkable job in support of these here and in many other tractor forums. Its just that I'm a cheap stingy &ast@rd. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks,
K

/ Importing a chinese tractor #2  
In May 2005 I bought a JM200LE from a one time container lot buyer. Overall I got a good price and no support. If I buy another Jinma I will use a real tractor dealer. I am guessing from your handle you live in Louisiana as I do. There are two dealers bordering LA that are regular contributors here. Chip in Arkansas, and Affordable in Texas. I would suggest you at least talk to both before you self import.
Harold

/ Importing a chinese tractor #3  
Any tractor imported after Jan .06 must be EPA approved,you better be real careful as after you send in your money YOU have to get it cleared thru customs.A non-epa approved tractor can be seized and destroyed, the factory will not refund any of your money if that happens.You will also have to deal with missing and damaged parts on your own.Self importing is not as great of a deal as it used to be.When you total all the cost involved to get the tractor to you,I think you will see it's not going to save you much money if any at all.The dealers have a little leverage with the factorys because we have loads coming in all the time so we can get our missing parts ect, we also have customs brokers, bonds in place already.These tractors are a great bargain buying from a dealer that can and will support you, why would you gamble not knowing the total cost after, customs,shipping, insurance,ect.We sell lots of parts to customers that could not get any support from the factory so why not purchase from someone that is not going to have you waiting 3- months to get parts,????Sometimes I just don't understand I guess

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
Bellville,Texas

/ Importing a chinese tractor #4  
My vote would be to go with Tommy or Chip as well, there won't be any hidden charges, you'll know what it is going to cost upfront and you get their support as well. Both good guys IMO.

/ Importing a chinese tractor
Hey guys, I hear what you are saying. You are voicing the concerns that most people should consider when buying a new Chinese tractor and for the average guy it is advice well given.
@Tommy, thanks for the advise about the epa engines. I figured cost in for the epa option as I suspected it was mandatory.
However, with the potential savings on the tractor I can afford to install a good Koyker or Allied FEL and still not be over the price of an assembled tractor.
As far as the warranty and dealer support. I don't give a rat's behind about the warranty.....that is the least of my concerns. Goes with being your own "dealer" so to speak. On assembly of the tractor ....I was a mechanic before I was an engineer and have few doubts about my mechanical ability. I know it will be put together and serviced with loving care...BY ME!

As for parts....the tractors are now fairly popular and there are quite a few dealers stocking parts like Tommy here. Also the local Farm Pro dealer stocks some parts and can get most others usually overnight. My main concern is the actual logistics and related costs in getting the tractor from China to Port of New Orleans.
It is ironic to note that many of the dealers of these Chinese tractors started out by importing a container of these tractors, assembling them in their shops or garages, and selling them for a profit. There usually were few spare parts around locally and sometimes little support yet the tractors prevailed on thier own merits. I am not doing this to make a profit.....just to get as much tractor as I can for the money I want to spend.

IMO even if some things would go badly I do not think I will lose so much that I would not still realize a small savings. It is a risk and If I can get a handle on the risk assesment which now is basically a good estimate on the transportation and import fees then I will probably run with it.
Thanks,
K

/ Importing a chinese tractor #6  
Keep us posted on how it goes,I would like to know the total cost when it's all said and done.We have loads coming in all the time and some go without a hitch and some go to Crap
When you purchase LCL, the tractor will come in to Long Beach or LA, where it will have to clear customs.We have had LCL's sit in a bonded warehouse for weeks before the got on a truck coming to Texas.No matter what they tell you on time expect 70-90 days for delivery after they confirm your payment with no problems,remember they use your money to build the tractor with.I doubt that the tractor will come in to the port of New Orleans,but you never know.That would be 35 days on the water thru the panama canal.More cost.We have a port in Houston but it adds 20 days to the delivery time and more money.Good luck I hope things go well for you

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
Bellville,Texas

/ Importing a chinese tractor #7  
CajunFrog: I have toss this idea to my brother-in-law (who is in the trading business and regularly import products from china and other asian countries...not tractors) Here's the advice he gave me. Don't bother. There's no advantage in importing as an individual. There are lots of disadvantages.

It's not feasible to import just 1 tractor. It takes the same amount of effort as importing a full container of anything else. As a matter of fact, machineries are subject to more rules. There are too many things can go wrong. If you are lucky, everything go smoothly, then you save some money. But that's not free money. You worked for it. Now, if there's problem anywhere along the way, then you need to "resolve" those problems. That's more work! In some cases, if you convert the time spent into $$$, you could be getting less than minimum wage. That's for someone with lots of experience in importing products and knows who to deal with. If you deal with the wrong people, you might loose all you money and get no tractor. So, earn your $$$ from whatever you do best and buy from a dealer near you or at least in the USA.

/ Importing a chinese tractor
Well so far it seems like the Chinese low-balled me on the expenses associated with getting the tractor over here. That's probably why they would not give me a delivered price in that I wanted them to handle the logistics. I suspected this. Boy, they are copying the American businessman's tactics and beating him at his own game. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I got quotes from several freight forwarders and it seems the cost will be 50% higher that what I had expected and listed in my original post This is though freight forwarders here in the US. I can cut the associated cost by half but only by shipping FCL or 8 units in a 20' container. Most of the cost is not the basic freight but the fees that they charge for forwarding and to get it cleared. They appear well padded. The forwarding charge is almost as much as the freight. Now this was supposed to be direct to New Orleans but there may be motor carrier involved as you mentioned Tommy.

I am waiting on quotes from FF based in China but I do not think they will be able to do it for 30% less to get me back in budget /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Will keep you guys posted.
K

/ Importing a chinese tractor #9  
I have orders coming in monthly and assure you I know whats involved in getting these tractors here and cleared.I also understand you are trying to save where you can,We sell these tractors about as fast as we get them and I don't sell crated units however there are companys here that will,find you a crate seller if thats what you are wanting and get it thru one of them,you are not getting the actual costs and it's going to cost you more than you think.I have had so many customers that have told me that they would never do it again on one unit that the true cost was way more than expected.It sounds like you are set on doing it anyway,and I don't want to be the one that said "I told you so" so before you send that money off with no refund make sure that you have researched and decided thats what you want.We get hit with unexpected charges all the time X-ray charges,demurrage,FDA charges ? Remember they are going to have your money for months ahead of time and if a problem arises with clearing over here they are going to shrug there shoulders and say," We don't understand the problem "we will back with you later with some answers,we never had this problem before.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ Importing a chinese tractor #10  
It will most likely come on rail from LA to your port warehouse. Thats how mine got here, not direct from the ship to NY/NJ port. Most people I discussed this with, have gotton their containers the same way.

I did import mine direct. Saved some money at that time. Not sure if I would do it again, in the post 911 paperwork world. If you go forward with it, have lots of patience, and be prepared for at least some paperwork to get screwed up, and have to pay additional warehouse or other fees. While rare these days, sometimes you still see some people with some significant issues. Look at the long post on the washer caught in the oil pump, thread. Just be prepared, that it MIGHT happen to you, and you will get little or no support from china/exporter.

I would have to go find all my paperwork to quote costs, but they are over two years old, and mean nothing today.