KAMA Sticky Solenoid

/ KAMA Sticky Solenoid #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
I've had some problems with my KAMA solenoid not engaging the starter motor. I"ve read where others had similar problems so I thought to post this.

Chip at Artrac had mentioned to "clean out" and lube it in another thread and that's just what I did. It was very easy and took about 10 mimutes to do. I noticed that the sticky solenoid problem was getting worse and worse so I decided to clean it before even attempting to start the KAMA for the first time. It began to happen more frequently upon starting...usually 5 or 6 times over the course of each weekend and usually everytime the first time I tried to start the KAMA. I found the solenoid piston had a deposit of gummy stuff on it, hindering its sliding movement inside the solenoid body. After this cleaning, the tractor started immediately and never had a failure the entire weekend.
Hope this helps those of you who complained about this problem.....simple solution...thanks Chip.

-Disconnect the batterry terminals
-Remove nuts that connect the copper connection from the starter motor to the solenoid
-Remove the 10 mm bolts that hold the solenoid to its mount
-The solenoid body will have a spring in it, that goes around the piston
-Slide the solenoid body CAREFULLY off the piston inside
-The piston is connected to a lever via a spring loaded plunger and hook arrangement and can be tricky to re-assemble
-Keep the piston attached to the lever if you can
-Run some fine emory cloth or wet & dry 320 with kerosene to clean it off
-Do the same to the solenoid body (inside)
-Wipe dry and clean and apply lubricant to both(I used gear oil)
-Slide the body back onto the piston
-Bolt back together again.

/ KAMA Sticky Solenoid #2  
I had the exact same problem with my starter. I called Chip and he advised me of the same, it worked great. Also, I highly recommend changing all fluids, oil, differential, radiator, gear box, hydraulics, etc...