354 turns sharper to the left... comments?

/ 354 turns sharper to the left... comments? #1  

crofutt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jinma 354
Getting more and more time on my new 354 (20hrs) Blew out the gasket on the power steering pump where the banjo fitting attaches. Spare parts had 4 of the gaskets, replaced and back in business. Mowed with it today and realized how much sharper it turns to the left than the right! Is that normal? Seems like the cylinder is mounted too close to the left wheel. Are they all like that?

Speaking of mowing, the mower works great (Jinma finish type), way better than expected. Although not without a few problems. I plan on making a report on the tractor and attachments in the next few weeks as I get more time on it. Thanks! Bill

/ 354 turns sharper to the left... comments? #2  
Not sure about your 354, but many of our 284's have a loose jam nut under the rubber boot where the steering cylinder rod screws into the tie rod. It allows the piston to turn and slowly unscrew itself.during that time others have said they find it turns sharper one way than the other.It's under the rubber boot,a easy check! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 354 turns sharper to the left... comments? #3  
Like mark said, check the rod end fitting under the steering boot. The locking nut on my 284 steering cylinder was loose and the cylinder rod had started to back out of the end fitting. I discovered it when I had to replace my rubber boot at a little over 50 hours. Since it had the boot over it, I hadn't thought to check it when I checked the rest of the hardware for security. Mine hadn't loosened to the point where I noticed that it turned sharper to the left, but I would guess that would be a symptom.

/ 354 turns sharper to the left... comments? #4  
did you put this 354 together yourself from a crate? or get it from a dealer?

//greg//

/ 354 turns sharper to the left... comments?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( did you put this 354 together yourself from a crate? or get it from a dealer?

//greg// )</font>

I put it together myself, but the front end was completely installed except for wheels and tires, Why do you ask? Is there something I missed doing?

/ 354 turns sharper to the left... comments? #6  
Well, not sure. But logic dictates that the steering cylinder should be somewhat centered - like halfway out - when the wheels are pointing straight ahead. That way it should travel stop to stop in roughly equal parts. Sounds now like that's what it's NOT doing. Perhaps the cylinder was over- or under-extended when the factory assembled the front end (?)

//greg//