Diesel starting trouble -- compression?

/ Diesel starting trouble -- compression? #1  

George_Martin

I am considering buying an old diesel tractor that the owner says the "motor runs fine but needs a sniff of ether" to get started. I know regular use of ether can be very harmful to the engine, but it very likely that the hard starting is due to low compression and the engine will soon be needing an overhaul? I do not know the condition of the glow plugs. Thank you for your help and all the great advice you all have given me in the past.

/ Diesel starting trouble -- compression?
I am considering buying an old diesel tractor that the owner says the "motor runs fine but needs a sniff of ether" to get started. I know regular use of ether can be very harmful to the engine, but it very likely that the hard starting is due to low compression and the engine will soon be needing an overhaul? I do not know the condition of the glow plugs. Thank you for your help and all the great advice you all have given me in the past.

/ Diesel starting trouble -- compression? #3  
I see one question mark in that post George, but I can't quite make out what the actual question might be

//greg//

/ Diesel starting trouble -- compression? #4  
I see one question mark in that post George, but I can't quite make out what the actual question might be

//greg//

I should have proof-read my question better. Since it needs ether to start, is this an indication that compression is low?

I should have proof-read my question better. Since it needs ether to start, is this an indication that compression is low?

/ Diesel starting trouble -- compression? #7  
Quite possibly. only way to know is do a compression test...

/ Diesel starting trouble -- compression? #8  
Quite possibly. only way to know is do a compression test...

/ Diesel starting trouble -- compression? #9  
In general, a diesel that is needing ether to start is getting weak .. however.. I've seen brand new diesels that are cold hearted dogs if their glow/thermostart/preheat systems don't work.. fixing that turns them into reliable starters.. You might want to chaeck that glow system..
though a compression test will be a very good diagnostic tool as well... in fact.. I'd want both, unless just quickly checking the glow got it going good.

Soundguy

/ Diesel starting trouble -- compression? #10  
In general, a diesel that is needing ether to start is getting weak .. however.. I've seen brand new diesels that are cold hearted dogs if their glow/thermostart/preheat systems don't work.. fixing that turns them into reliable starters.. You might want to chaeck that glow system..
though a compression test will be a very good diagnostic tool as well... in fact.. I'd want both, unless just quickly checking the glow got it going good.

Soundguy