Something strange maybe?

/ Something strange maybe? #1  

DwayneB

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2240, NHTD80D
I was running the brush hog and backing up on a steep pond dam. The lift arms were in the full up position but the wheel was hitting the **** and putting upward force on them. At this point the hydraulics seemed to dead head and the tractor was trying to die. I figured out what going on pretty quick and pushed the clutch all the was in and shut down the engine. After scracting my head for a bit I restarted. Same thing. Then I lowered the lift arms and restarted. All was well again and worked fine the rest of the day. Did lose a bit of fluid out the overflow during this. What happened? Anyone?

/ Something strange maybe?
I was running the brush hog and backing up on a steep pond dam. The lift arms were in the full up position but the wheel was hitting the **** and putting upward force on them. At this point the hydraulics seemed to dead head and the tractor was trying to die. I figured out what going on pretty quick and pushed the clutch all the was in and shut down the engine. After scracting my head for a bit I restarted. Same thing. Then I lowered the lift arms and restarted. All was well again and worked fine the rest of the day. Did lose a bit of fluid out the overflow during this. What happened? Anyone?

/ Something strange maybe? #3  
Just guessing mind you, I've never personally operated a 354. But if the lift arms are impeded by an unmovable force BEFORE they have traveled the distance specified by the lift control lever - the pump will in fact continue to respond to the operator's input. But the lift arms are blocked, the full travel cannot be completed, but that doesn't stop the pump from trying. By changing the position of the lift control lever, the pump didn't have to work anymore trying to get the lift arms past the impedance

Same thing would happen if you purposefully tried to lift an object that far exceeded the TPH capacity, a bulldozer for example. The pump would respond to your input, and kill the engine (or itself) trying to comply.

Alternatively - if your 354C has draft control - the lift control setting could have been in conflict with the draft control setting. The angle and force with which you hit that bank may have initiated draft control correction, which was perhaps not possible because of the other forces you were putting on the TPH. Changing the lift control lever changed the parameters of when the draft control intercedes.

//greg//

/ Something strange maybe? #4  
Just guessing mind you, I've never personally operated a 354. But if the lift arms are impeded by an unmovable force BEFORE they have traveled the distance specified by the lift control lever - the pump will in fact continue to respond to the operator's input. But the lift arms are blocked, the full travel cannot be completed, but that doesn't stop the pump from trying. By changing the position of the lift control lever, the pump didn't have to work anymore trying to get the lift arms past the impedance

Same thing would happen if you purposefully tried to lift an object that far exceeded the TPH capacity, a bulldozer for example. The pump would respond to your input, and kill the engine (or itself) trying to comply.

Alternatively - if your 354C has draft control - the lift control setting could have been in conflict with the draft control setting. The angle and force with which you hit that bank may have initiated draft control correction, which was perhaps not possible because of the other forces you were putting on the TPH. Changing the lift control lever changed the parameters of when the draft control intercedes.

//greg//

I believe you hit the nail on the head with the draft control. I think it was trying to correct. It's alwyas good to get a plausable explanation.

I believe you hit the nail on the head with the draft control. I think it was trying to correct. It's alwyas good to get a plausable explanation.

/ Something strange maybe? #7  
If you are using the position control the draft control must be all the way up against the stop, if it isn't the 3pth will do some strange movements and if you use draft the position control must be all the way up any other combination will cause problems.
One time I had a round bale on the spear on my 3pth and the front of my tractor started to bounce and the engine rpm when up and down like the pump was dead heading, I either or it did it on its own moved the draft control down about 1 to 2 inches, so since that happened, what ever control needs to be up to use the other I use the wing nut stop to hold the up one in place so it can't move.
Makes ya think when 1500 lb's is bouncing up and down on its own on the back of your tractor.

/ Something strange maybe? #8  
If you are using the position control the draft control must be all the way up against the stop, if it isn't the 3pth will do some strange movements and if you use draft the position control must be all the way up any other combination will cause problems.
One time I had a round bale on the spear on my 3pth and the front of my tractor started to bounce and the engine rpm when up and down like the pump was dead heading, I either or it did it on its own moved the draft control down about 1 to 2 inches, so since that happened, what ever control needs to be up to use the other I use the wing nut stop to hold the up one in place so it can't move.
Makes ya think when 1500 lb's is bouncing up and down on its own on the back of your tractor.