The saga continues...

/ The saga continues... #1  

ZionHill

Tractor
Minot 20 hp
Minot 20 hp - Original problem was foaming hydraulics fluid:

I flushed and refilled the hydraulic system and cleaned the screen. This was a great learning experience and I'm glad I did it.

Only problem is it's still foaming out of the filler breather. I think I must have damaged a seal when I was working it hard the other day. Here are some clues:

1. I was using the 3-point dirt scoop lifting wet and heavy dirt when it originally started faoming. I may have bounced the load putting strain on it.

2. With no load the 3-point goes up and down. I can stand on the hitch and it doesn't leak down so I don't think it's the piston seals.

3. When the power steering is either all the way left or all the way right it foams out. When the lift is all the way up or down it foams out.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? The one thing I haven't checked is looking into the filler hole and seeing if it's foaming all the time. I'll check that today.

Appreciate any tips

/ The saga continues...
Minot 20 hp - Original problem was foaming hydraulics fluid:

I flushed and refilled the hydraulic system and cleaned the screen. This was a great learning experience and I'm glad I did it.

Only problem is it's still foaming out of the filler breather. I think I must have damaged a seal when I was working it hard the other day. Here are some clues:

1. I was using the 3-point dirt scoop lifting wet and heavy dirt when it originally started faoming. I may have bounced the load putting strain on it.

2. With no load the 3-point goes up and down. I can stand on the hitch and it doesn't leak down so I don't think it's the piston seals.

3. When the power steering is either all the way left or all the way right it foams out. When the lift is all the way up or down it foams out.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? The one thing I haven't checked is looking into the filler hole and seeing if it's foaming all the time. I'll check that today.

Appreciate any tips

/ The saga continues... #3  
Do the test and I suspect that it is foaming. Foaming comes from pump or inlet pipe leaks. Leaks past the pump, are pressure leaks, and will drip/spray hyd fluid. You can try tightening the fittings on the inlet plumbing. If that doesn't do it, its probably the pump. Probably want TSC to cover that cost.

/ The saga continues... #4  
Do the test and I suspect that it is foaming. Foaming comes from pump or inlet pipe leaks. Leaks past the pump, are pressure leaks, and will drip/spray hyd fluid. You can try tightening the fittings on the inlet plumbing. If that doesn't do it, its probably the pump. Probably want TSC to cover that cost.

/ The saga continues... #5  
could be TSC didn't set the stops and the 3ph lifted to high and the oring pealed and damaged it, it will foam also if the oring is bad

/ The saga continues... #6  
could be TSC didn't set the stops and the 3ph lifted to high and the oring pealed and damaged it, it will foam also if the oring is bad

/ The saga continues... #7  
Check the O ring where the supply ot the pump attaches to the side of the pump. Also the large nut on that fitting there. I ahve also seen a porous casting on one of these fittings that would allow air to be mixed into the hyd oil as it entered the pump, in that case it would foam just running about 10 to 15 minutes, regardless of use of hydraulics.

/ The saga continues... #8  
Check the O ring where the supply ot the pump attaches to the side of the pump. Also the large nut on that fitting there. I ahve also seen a porous casting on one of these fittings that would allow air to be mixed into the hyd oil as it entered the pump, in that case it would foam just running about 10 to 15 minutes, regardless of use of hydraulics.

/ The saga continues...
Update:

The company that handles the warranty for TSC (FailSafe, Inc) is a little disorganized to say the least and the nearest service guy is 2 hrs away in Elizabethtown, PA. While they are trying to cultivate a closer connection I'm going to take things into my own hands.

I ordered a new hydraulic pump and if it does end up getting fixed by a service guy I'll have it on hand as a spare. I received a full packet of O rings and seals with the tractor all nicely labled with the part numbers. I'll have it fixed most likely before they get their act together.

Tat2 and BlueChip, good tips from you guys and I will follow up on those leads. My feeling is that it's worse than just O rings but hey - if it is just that then more power to me!

Thanks

/ The saga continues...
Update:

The company that handles the warranty for TSC (FailSafe, Inc) is a little disorganized to say the least and the nearest service guy is 2 hrs away in Elizabethtown, PA. While they are trying to cultivate a closer connection I'm going to take things into my own hands.

I ordered a new hydraulic pump and if it does end up getting fixed by a service guy I'll have it on hand as a spare. I received a full packet of O rings and seals with the tractor all nicely labled with the part numbers. I'll have it fixed most likely before they get their act together.

Tat2 and BlueChip, good tips from you guys and I will follow up on those leads. My feeling is that it's worse than just O rings but hey - if it is just that then more power to me!

Thanks