Very Smoky on Startup

/ Very Smoky on Startup #1  

ZionHill

Tractor
Minot 20 hp
Hi all,

I realize that diesels can be smoky on startup when cold. It's still very cool here in PA in the mornings. My tractor smokes quite a bit and it takes some cranking to get it going. Once it's been started it then starts the rest of the day with the smallest blip of the starter.

Is this pretty normal, and what can I do to to make the initial startup quicker?

Thanks

/ Very Smoky on Startup #2  
Try Holding the Key switch in the H position for approx. 20 seconds prior to trying to start.You should be able to see the amp gauge draw all the way to the discharge position and grad. come up.That should help the first start up

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ Very Smoky on Startup #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi all,

I realize that diesels can be smoky on startup when cold. It's still very cool here in PA in the mornings. My tractor smokes quite a bit and it takes some cranking to get it going. Once it's been started it then starts the rest of the day with the smallest blip of the starter.

Is this pretty normal, and what can I do to to make the initial startup quicker?

Thanks )</font>

Hey Zion,

This is my starting procedure. I have 145 hours on my 224 now, and it usually starts first time, every time.

http://ctocf.proboards54.com/index.cgi?board=starting&action=display&thread=1143069921&page=1

Also, many have found that their valves were way out of adjustment, so you may want to take a look at them, at your earliest convenience. The procedures are well documented on our site.

Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Very Smoky on Startup #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is this pretty normal, and what can I do to to make the initial startup quicker? )</font>
It's normal if you DON'T use the glow plugs and compression release to start a cold engine. Learn and use both, and your smoky starts will be a thing of the past

//greg//

/ Very Smoky on Startup
Thanks, I learned a lot from the comments.

Here's an observation on my tractor. It has a switch on the clutch pedal so you can't start it in gear. When I put it in H position with the clutch depressed it just starts cranking over.

However, if I hold the key on without the clutch depressed for 20 seconds then simply depress the clutch -voila! completely smoke free start. It's a thing of beauty!

It could be my ignition switch isn't working right - but I'm happy with the outcome and I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again

/ Very Smoky on Startup #6  
Defective ignition switch - very very common on the Jinma 200 series. H is for Heat (glow plugs), S is for Start (solenoid. Either the backing plate with the position letters has slipped, or the switch has turned in the hole. Or maybe even the wrong switch altogether.

Anyway, there's a commonly accepted Ford Switch Mod available if you'll click above where it says attachment.

//greg//

Attachments

• 905971-Ford switch.pdf
    63.5 KB · Views: 158
   / Very Smoky on Startup #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Defective ignition switch - very very common on the Jinma ...Anyway, there's a commonly accepted Ford Switch Mod available )</font>

Ya know.. I get a tingle and warm (irony?) feeling every time I see that printed...

Soundguy