Loud Exhaust

/ Loud Exhaust #1  

ZionHill

Tractor
Minot 20 hp
All,

I'm finding the exhaust on my tractor to be a little on the loud side when running for long periods.

If I were to insert a baffle something like what you see on Harley straight pipes would it have negative effects on performance/tuning?

Has anybody tried a third party muffler on the Jinmas? How about doing the down pipe rerouting?

Thanks

/ Loud Exhaust #2  
Is the exhaust too loud for neighbors or other creatures in the area? If it's only loud for your ears, I suggest some ear plugs. (I'm a poor man)

My KAMA 354C doesn't seem any louder than the typical riding lawnmower.

/ Loud Exhaust #3  
Hearing protection will most certainly be better, for both you AND the tractor

//greg//

/ Loud Exhaust #4  
I keep a pair of ear muffs on the tractor all the time hanging from the hand throttle lever. I wear them whenever I am using the PTO or running the tractor above 1200 RPM for any length of time. I personally wouldn't do anything to alter the flow thru the engine. The routing of the exhaust down and under the tractor might help quite a bit with the noise and I have thought about it, but it is not an easy option for me because of the FEL I am using.

/ Loud Exhaust #5  
I gotta agree with the others. Even though the manual on my NH 7610s says the DB at the OP platform is 89db.. I like to keep a set of big earmuffs on the tractor.. typically I wear a small set of ear buds under the muffs so i can listen to tunes at low volume. Same deal on my ford 5000... big engine.. lots of noise.. hearing protection is a -must-.

Soundguy

/ Loud Exhaust #6  
Having lost 30 db of mid range hearing I can relate to this topic. Oddly my upper and lower frequency hearing is normal, I use hearing protection whenever I'm operating any equipment.

Even sounds which doesn't seem loud can damage your hearing after long term exposure.

Trust me, it sucks when everyone who talks to you sounds like they're mumbling.

I not only use hearing protection, I also wear a good quality dust mask. Now, my nose doesn't run and my sinuses are completely clear at the end of the day.

Holy crap, I just realized Soundguy has over 9000 posts on Tractorbynet. Is this your job? : )

/ Loud Exhaust #7  
When i get to work in the AM, I open a window to each of my favorite sites ( TBN and YTMAG ).. and just periodically browse thru the day. Usuallt i'm stuck on a stupid conference call.. or other genrric phone call.. and can get a few messages in. Lunch.. breakes.. etc. sometimes I do actually have to work though! At my 2nd job pace is tight.. no time for mail .. friday and satuday included. I generally get about 30-45 minutes at night after my 2nd job when i get home at 10:30pm, pr 11:30pm... while waitning for my wife to get home from her job.

So ya.. I get around a little.

Soundguy

TruChaos said:
Holy crap, I just realized Soundguy has over 9000 posts on Tractorbynet. Is this your job? : )

/ Loud Exhaust #8  
It's good he post so much, he posts on our China board. I'm just tring to get him to actually buy a China made tractor! You would think of his ten tractors he could manage just one...Kama

Patrick

/ Loud Exhaust #9  
I'm actually looking for a two wheeled chinese tractor. My wife went to tibet and china last year for a month.. and everybody had these 2 wheeled tractors with handlebars, and they were coupled to surry type riding carts.. or simple a small cart, and the owners rode on them. Wife wants one... and i can't find them.. but if I do.. and it is affordable.. then I will probably pick it up.

Soundguy