DF-354 Dongfeng Tractor Hydraulic Problem

/ DF-354 Dongfeng Tractor Hydraulic Problem #1  

lp15404

Tractor
Eagle DF-354
I purchased a Eagle brand DF-354 tractor with a Helpmate-2 loader in December of 2005 from Eagle Tractors in Liberty, Kentucky. The tractor is made in China by Dongfeng

The tractor came with a two year warranty. I currently have 15 hours on the tractor. The reason for the low hours is that the first time I tried to do any serious work with the tractor, the front end loader became very erratic and the hydraulic pump that operates the loader got extremely hot and started smoking. I also noticed a hydraulic leak at the quick-disconnect coupler. I checked the quick-disconnect coupler and put some tie wraps on it to make sure it was securely engaged. The loader started working again after it cooled down, but it still does not operate smoothly at times. It is sometimes very jerky when the loader is raised. I also noticed a strange grinding noise coming from the area of the two hydraulic pumps which are mounted on the right side of the TY395I engine.

I spoke with the dealer and was told that the problem was probably a bad hydraulic pump. After four weeks, I received a CBN-306 pump from the dealer, but it was not the correct pump. They sent me the pump for the power steering. The front end loader is driven by a CBN-314 gear pump.
I told the dealer that he sent me the wrong pump and was told that he did not have the CBN-314 pump in stock and he could not locate one anywhere in the USA. He said that he ordered a pump from China. I have been waiting now for eleven weeks and I still have no pump.

I sent mail to Dongfeng Agriculture Machinery (DFAM) group asking for help in locating parts for the tractor in the USA, but I never did receive a reply.

If anyone knows where I might be able to obtain parts for this tractor, I would appreciate that information.

I also would like to replace the quick-disconnect coupler, but I am having trouble identifying the proper connector. It has female threads on both ends of the connector that are approximately 22mm in diameter. I assume that these are metric threads, but all of the couplers that I find on the Internet are sized in inches. If someone knows where I can get a replacement coupler, I would appreciate that information.

Some other problems that I have had with the tractor are: The rotation speed sensor was bad, the voltage regulator went bad. The oil pressure sensor did not work. The battery seems very weak even after I recharged it. I have a fuel leak at the fuel injector pump. The rubber boot on the left front power steering linkage is broken. The engine smokes excessively. The two stabilizer bars for the front end loader are welded to the front bumper. The first day that I tried moving dirt with the tractor, the weld broke loose on the right side of the tractor. The front wheels hit the hydraulic cylinders of the loader if the wheels are turned sharply and the tractor sways with the loader down. Needless to say, I am not happy with the tractor.

/ DF-354 Dongfeng Tractor Hydraulic Problem
Thanks for the tip. I will check with Eastwinds tomorrow and see if they have parts for my tractor.

I am getting a pump from Ranch Hand Supply in Virginia. They are a Jinma dealer and do not normally have parts for the Dongfeng tractors, but one of the Jinma models uses this same engine. I received a mail message from them saying that they may have a pump to fit my tractor. They told me there are two types of CBN-314 pumps. They were very helpful in identifying the pump that I need for my tractor.

/ DF-354 Dongfeng Tractor Hydraulic Problem #5  
Glad you were able to find what you needed. I considered purchasing a tractor from the same place you got yours. Kinda glad I went with Chip and the Kama. Sounds like most of your problems are due to the FEL. Does eagle put a chinese loader on the DF? I've read lots of bad stories on those. Mostly debri clogging the valve body. I would suggest you take all the FEL hydraulics apart to inspect and clean before you try out the new pump or it may get you again. Make sure the pressure relief in the loader valve is clean and operating properly. Adding an inline pressure guage could aid in the diagnosis. And watch those quick connects I have heard that sometimes they use 2 different types that aren't compatable. If it lugs your engine at all the 1st time you try it, it's dead heading and headed for another failure. Good luck!!!

/ DF-354 Dongfeng Tractor Hydraulic Problem #6  
The pump is only the symptom. The original problem that caused it, is still there. Could be just a bad coupling. Given all the other items you are having problems with, recommend having your dealer do the repairs.

/ DF-354 Dongfeng Tractor Hydraulic Problem #7  
JohnS said:
The pump is only the symptom. The original problem that caused it, is still there. Could be just a bad coupling. Given all the other items you are having problems with, recommend having your dealer do the repairs.

Reading his description, I was thinking the same thing.

I purchased the tractor with a Helpmate-II loader. The loader is made in the USA. The problem with having the dealer fix the problems is that I bought the loader on EBAY and the dealer is about 350 miles from where I live. There are no dealers close to where I live that can work on the tractor.

I will do some checks on the hydraulic lines when I get the new pump. I don't really suspect the loader, but I suppose the loader controls could be not allowing the hydraulic fluid to circulate back to the reservoir. It has seperate levers for the loader controls. It is not the joystick type of control.

It appears to me that the fluid from the reservoir goes into a tube-like assembly that looks like about a 2 inch pipe which is about 18 inches long. There are two lines from the assembly that go to the pump for the front end loader and also to the pump for the steering. I occasionally have some problems with the steering freezing for a very short period of time. I was told that there are no hydraulic filters in the hydraulic system. The hydraulic fluid is in the transmission. There is no seperate reservoir for the loader or steering hydraulic system. I was told to change the fluid after 50 hours, but I plan to drain it when I get the new pump and put new fluid into it. I am still trying to locate a quick-disconnect coupler or just a connector that will connect the hydraulic lines without the quick disconnect. I plan to swap out the quick-disconnect coupler when I can find a replacement part.

The dealer was supposed to send me a new hydraulic connector to replace the quick-disconnect and a new pump, but I am still looking for it. I have waited patiently for more than 11 weeks for parts to fix the hydraulic problems. I get promises, but no parts.

/ DF-354 Dongfeng Tractor Hydraulic Problem #9  
I've got a good dealer but he's 800 miles away. A lot of chinese tractor buyers pretty much figure on being their own mechanic. I knew it going in. My problems have been minor but I'd say for every 8 hrs of operation I work on it 1 hr. I know it's frustrating but I think you will get it all solved and the little tractor may just surprise you.

/ DF-354 Dongfeng Tractor Hydraulic Problem #10  
Take off the hydraulic hoze and go to a shop that supplies the hoze and installs the fittings. They should be able to fix you up with little or no problems.