kama ts254c clutch

/ kama ts254c clutch #1  

lakespirit

Silver Member
Tractor
2004 KAMA TS254C
I can't figure out how to put this back together correctly. Put new clutch disc on and now I can't get over 2MPH. How do you ensure it's together right before putting tractor back together. Should all 6 of the of the clutch release levers supposed to be almost touching the throwout bearing on the clutch release fork? How do you set these up before putting the tracotr back together.

/ kama ts254c clutch #2  
I don't know much but I can answer your question.
"Should all 6 of the of the clutch release levers supposed to be almost touching the throwout bearing on the clutch release fork?"

NO
It's a 2 stage clutch. You should feel 2 distinct points on the clutch travel. The 1st push touches the 3 fingers of the 1st stage. About half-way down you should feel the throw-out bearing touch the 2nd stage.

It can be adjusted through the access port I think but, probably a lot easier when apart.

/ kama ts254c clutch
It felt that way when I put it back together the first time, but I didn't have any hydraulics and the speed was only about 2-3mph at any RPM. Any ideas on that one? Thanks

/ kama ts254c clutch #4  
sounds like the clutch is slipping badly.

I dunno, Is there pressure on it from the throwout bearing?

Is the clutch disk in backwards?
Is the pressure plate damaged?

Chip at Artrac is the expert on these tractors. He will chime in soon to help you. At least by monday. He checks the board almost every day.

/ kama ts254c clutch
Thanks Dwayne. How can I tell if plate is damaged? When I pulled it apart the first time the pressure plate on aux disc was fine, but the primary was shiny-smooth, so I cleaned it up and it's smooth with cross hatch marks again. How would I know for sure if discs are backwards? I followed the pictures in the manual, but who knows.

/ kama ts254c clutch #6  
like i said when Chip chims in you will have a wealth of info at your disposal.
I don't know about the disc. All I know is from my experience with autos. On some autos the peice that the spline goes through is a lot longer on one side of the disc and if in backwards the disc would never touch the flywheel. This tractor I've never seen apart. As far as the pressure plate goes the springs can break.

/ kama ts254c clutch
OK, thanks. Hope I can hear from Chip soon.

Chip if you see this, One of my big problems is that I can't tell how to dimensionally put the assembly together.

/ kama ts254c clutch #8  
There is a drawing of the clutch with dimensions in the operators manual. I don't have one here at the house so if you don't have yours, I'll have to try to get to it on Monday, Mondays are crazy as this is the busy season but I will try to get to it. Dwayne is correct, there is (I think it is .030 inch) gap between the three PTO fingers and the 3 main fingers and a gap that equates to about 1" of pedal free travel required to move the throw out bearing from rest to engage the first set of fingers. If you just tried to rough up your disk and reinstall, that will likely be your problem. Slipping of the clutch gernerates tremendous heat and glazes the friction material, and the pressure plate and I suspect it damages the bellville spring, less spring pressure means slipping clutch and the ontly thing that can keep the tractor from moving if all the gears are engaged is the clutch slipping.

I would suggest you put in a comlete clutch package, but certainly at least the main disk. We do have complete cluch packs in stock.

I know this is proably bad news, its a fair bit of work to split the tractor, BUT the good news is it is much faster the second time!

/ kama ts254c clutch
I do have a new main disc...it's the pressure plate I filed down and created the rough surface. I tried using the drawings, but maybe not mechanical enough to figure it out. I'm not really even sure how to take the measurements.

What's the belville spring?

/ kama ts254c clutch #10  
Shucks, i ment to grab a manual to take home. the measurements are hard to do because the clutch must be mounted to the flywheel. The pressure plates are smooth, not ruff, the ruff will just grind off the friction material from the disk. The spring is a washer type spring that puts pressure on the pressure plate, they can loose their temper if they get hot then not as strong as they need to be to do a good job.