Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #1  

stevem5215

Platinum Member
Tractor
Steiner 420 - Black Craftsman Pro 24hp - Simplicity 48 ZT-2500 - Simplicity Citation XL 61" - Chainsaw CS-5720
Hi, First post here.
We have a 126hr FarmPro (Jinma) 2420 with a charging problem and a hydraulic problem. Maybe someone can help us out.
1. Alternator not charging. Battery eventually goes dead of course. Keeping the battery charger on it when not in use keeps it working fine otherwise. Had 12.8 volts across battery so nothing wrong there. Has 12 volts at the Alternator charging post. Has 12 volts at the field winding when the ignition switch is on. (measured across the neg term and the field winding at the alternator) Looks to me like it's just plain bad. I emailed one parts place about it and they want $195 for the alternator. Sounds a bit expensive for a junky chinese part. Anybody have a better source ? Or a better alternative like a retro kit to a GM self exciting style like those listed on ebay for $75 ? That would be a cheaper solution and if it would mount up probably would be more reliable than the chinese solution with a separate alternator and regulator.
2. The hydraulic problem seems to be with the power steering. It works but has a tendency to drift back to center if you are turning a corner. It will turn the tractor just fine currently if you keep resteering into the bend. But I assume this will get worse. I tried cleaning the screen filter under the seat and changing the hydraulic fluid. That seemed to help it a little but not enough that it's back to normal. I'm guessing that this is either a control problem (steering wheel cylinder) or a piston problem (at the front wheels) with the cylinder there. Anybody have any ideas on what this might be ? A common failure here ? Ok, the whole tractor is a common failure but I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks for listening..
Steve

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #2  
Before you buy an alternator, check the fuses, I cant remeber which it is, but 3rd or 4th from top will prevent alternator from charging. However, based on your test, I too suspect a bad alternator. They have been remarkably reliable by the way. I have heard of people using a single wire alternator and reconfiguring thier charging circuit, the problem is when doing this on a tractor that it is hart to get enough rpm for the alternators to excite itself. I did this on an 8n and had to add a light bulb and push button and had to remember to pusht he button to get the alternator to charge after starting the engine.

As for the steering, the likely casue is the steering cylinder seals, if not that then it could be the rotary valve tha modulates the steering (at the base of the steering column) but is is almost always the seals.

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #3  
The charging problem may be the voltage regulator,check it.We have any part you may need in stock.I too think you need a rebuild kit for the front steering cylinder not a hard job we have them also

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #4  
If you do convert to a gm style.. like a 10si or 12si.. get the 3 wire job.. not the 1 wire. As BC mentioned.. oftentimes they want upwards of 1800 rpm to self excite.

The 3 wire jobs can be setup with a diode or 194 lamp inline with the #1 terminal and then hook that to switched ignition power. On the diode.. any radioshack diode that will handle an amp or so will be fine. Install so that the cathode ( marked end ) is towards the 1 terminal, and the wire from the ignition switch is on the unmarked side.

The #2 wire can be looped right down to the charge stud.

The charge stud can be hooked to the charge out line where the old alternator was.. or if the carge output goes thru a cutout in the vr.. hook to the charge out from the old vr.. etc.

Check a junkyard. Many places sell ones that have been checked for 25$, and have 55g barells of them setting around..

Soundguy

stevem5215 said:
Hi, First post here.
We have a 126hr FarmPro (Jinma) 2420 with a charging problem and a hydraulic problem. Maybe someone can help us out.
1. Alternator not charging. Battery eventually goes dead of course. Keeping the battery charger on it when not in use keeps it working fine otherwise. Had 12.8 volts across battery so nothing wrong there. Has 12 volts at the Alternator charging post. Has 12 volts at the field winding when the ignition switch is on. (measured across the neg term and the field winding at the alternator) Looks to me like it's just plain bad. I emailed one parts place about it and they want $195 for the alternator. Sounds a bit expensive for a junky chinese part. Anybody have a better source ? Or a better alternative like a retro kit to a GM self exciting style like those listed on ebay for $75 ? That would be a cheaper solution and if it would mount up probably would be more reliable than the chinese solution with a separate alternator and regulator.
2. The hydraulic problem seems to be with the power steering. It works but has a tendency to drift back to center if you are turning a corner. It will turn the tractor just fine currently if you keep resteering into the bend. But I assume this will get worse. I tried cleaning the screen filter under the seat and changing the hydraulic fluid. That seemed to help it a little but not enough that it's back to normal. I'm guessing that this is either a control problem (steering wheel cylinder) or a piston problem (at the front wheels) with the cylinder there. Anybody have any ideas on what this might be ? A common failure here ? Ok, the whole tractor is a common failure but I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks for listening..
Steve

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #5  
If I recall, the gentelman who put the jinma engine in the pickup truck mounted a Mazda Alternator from a B2600 pickup. It was nearly a direct bolt-on.

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #6  
While I was very skeptical of any of the electrical items, havn't had any issues with mine. Still on the original chinese battery, too. I have not seen a high number of posts on alternator failures. My tractor is kept outside with just a tarp, and is subject to temp and humidity swings.

You can get them for $120 here: http://www.chinaimporters.com/ciparts/

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420
Well, the battery gave out this spring after coaxing it along for 3 years. I'm guessing it was just internally shorted out.

As for the Alternator. Wouldn't the 12v to the field winding show that the regulator is working ? How do I go about testing the Voltage regulator on this ?

Thanks,
Steve

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #8  
Auto electric shop?

Unless you have the field specs.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420
Well, on Saturday I replaced the Voltage Regulator and found it still isn't charging the battery (tested by just turning on the lights and observing the amp gauge which goes negative when I do so). I believe the Alternator is bad still at this point now that I see 12v at the field winding. Anybody know of a cheap alternator rebuild or new one ?
Also, I did the rebuild of the power steering cylinder. It turned out ok. The seals inside of it were shot and the new ones are a different design (duh). That works like new. Thanks for the tips on it.

Steve (Pittsburgh, pa)

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #10  
There's probably a Starter and Alternator shop or 2 in your town. They will test your alternator and remove all doubt.

Rebuilds usually are not expensive and for my nickel a good shop job is better than the new stuff sold at some parts houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.