BIT THE BULLET--GOT A NEW KAMA TS254C

/ BIT THE BULLET--GOT A NEW KAMA TS254C #1  

grsr3

Bronze Member
HI----BEEN AWHILE,
Have an almost new 25 HP Kama. Felt fairly confident when bidding on this machine due to the positive posts by most folks, but especially by Rob--3RRL. I know he has a 554 and I really don't want a machine that size. I am generally pleased with the machine even though I have had some minor problems already. One of the terminals on the ignition switch burned up--simply drilled another hole in the dash and installed a toggle switch for the accessories (Lights, etc.)--no big deal. Could have bought a new one or went to a junk yard and scavenged an old one---a switch is a fairly simple gadget. Hydraulic fluid leaks out of breather behind seat---I heard about the extension hose idea---no problem. I think I'm in pretty good shape---so far. The tractor is a little bear--more powerful than I thought it would be. The Y385 jumps up in one or two cranks and is smooth and quiet. The shifting is not near as nice as the engine---sometimes you have to feather the clutch to get the gears to mesh----whether it's the tranny or the 2/4wd box. The shuttle shift is OK. And YES---I DO TRY TO LAY OFF THAT CLUTCH PEDAL.
I have a few amateur questions. My grader blade moves around more than I care for it to move. I am wondering if there is some better way to stabilize the TPH. Those adjuster arms with the chains don't really do the job----or should the hitch have some play in it?? Also, rather than use a piece of hose to extend the breather I would like to add a 12" pipe nipple. Unfortunatley what looks like a 3/4" iron pipe thread is a metric look-alike. Can't find a piece of pipe with a metric thread or a coupling, which would also be needed to fasten the breather assembly on to the pipe nipple. And lastly, I am thinking about a backhoe attachment. Because this a 25 HP tractor most everyone says the biggest hoe I should get is a 6 footer. Anything bigger will pull the tractor around. I know what ever I get the hoe will need its own pump and reservoir. My concern with a 6 foot hoe is the constant need to keep moving the machine around in order to get to what ever it is your digging at. Is this a legitimate issue to worry about or am I over thinking the problem. Thank you in advance for your responses.

GEO.

/ BIT THE BULLET--GOT A NEW KAMA TS254C #2  
The KAMA TS254C can handle the Koyker KB75 7.5' backhoe. I would probalby not put the LW7 china hoe as it is much heavier. almost too heavy for the TS354C (same chassis). But the Koyker will set you back over $6K.

We stock a LOT of parts for the KAMAs. let me know if you need anything.

/ BIT THE BULLET--GOT A NEW KAMA TS254C
Thanks Chip.
Got a line on a 6' hoe----Chinese----$3,000.----with frame mount, in a crate. Don't know the brand and the seller don't think it will bolt to the Kama---need to do some modifications. Don't think I would use it enough to justify spending $6,000. for a Koyker. As far as parts are concerned please give me a price on the lever that's used to adjust the seat.. It broke off---don't know how. Broke at the first tapped hole---weak point. Could probably get it welded and re-tapped locally but may buy it if price is OK.
Thanks, Geo.

/ BIT THE BULLET--GOT A NEW KAMA TS254C #4  
Hi grsr3,
Glad to see you got that Kama. They are powerful tractors indeed.
I found similar electrical problems, but as you said, although frustrating...easily dealt with. The machine tool itself is quite good and sturdy. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your purchase.

If Chip says your 254 can handle a 7-½' backhoe, I'd definitely reccomend getting one. You'll find yourself constantly repositioning with that shorter stroke....it's shorter than you think when you start trenching something. I wish I would have gotten the same advice and gone with more reach on my backhoe. Also consider getting or making a subframe for it. I've also seen the additional side connectors which is an improvement over just the 3pt connection.

The shifting hard shifting when new appears to be a common complaint too. However, once you change that tranny oil after break in it will definitely improve. Not saying to do this, but I used 85w/140 when I changed and it made a huge...noticeable difference. Maybe just new 90w oil would've done it too?

If you get a chance, visit HERE. There is a lot of useful information about your tractor that may be of interest to you....
Congratulations.

/ BIT THE BULLET--GOT A NEW KAMA TS254C
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the response. That site you recommended is great---loaded with good stuff, but can't find info on latest issue which is about hydraulic fluid--- need to refill hydraulic reservoir. Check my question under "Owning/Operating" and let me know what you think. It looks like the ISO 46 product that my local Tractor Supply Co. sells is the right stuff. My Kama manual lists SAE 20/30/40---plain old engine oil---could that be right???? Thought hydraulic fluid was something different from engine motor oil, or maybe what they are trying to say is different than what I 'm reading. Also will try changing the tranny fluid to improve shift quality. Take care,
George

/ BIT THE BULLET--GOT A NEW KAMA TS254C #7  
hydraulic oil comes in 10, 20,30 wt. I don't know about 40 wt. I had to go to a 20 wt on the steering on my kama as the 10 just bypassed around the seals and you couldn't drive it. I wouldn't put engine oil in the hydraulics.

/ BIT THE BULLET--GOT A NEW KAMA TS254C #8  
grsr3 said:
looks like the ISO 46 product that my local Tractor Supply Co. sells is the right stuff.

Would help if you'd put some info in your profile, we could be more specific with our responses. In most cases, AW32 works great in these Chinese tractors (except for power steering on my KAMA). It's got a viscosity equivalancy of 10 weight engine oil, AW46 being ~20W. In cool and moderate climates, you can use the AW32 year round. Warm climates are more suited to AW46 or even AW68 year round. But if you use either during a northern winter, you'll likely experience an aggravating warm up period before the hydraulics/steering want to start working.

//greg//

/ BIT THE BULLET--GOT A NEW KAMA TS254C #9  
George,
I agree with Greg in that AW32 is a good all around choice. You can get it at TS stores or Napa or even WallMart most locations. I've been thinking about using AW46 because of the hot climate out here in So Cal. but the AW32 has worked just fine and I'd rather have that stuff flow freely through the pump and lines.
Also glad you liked that link. Like here on TBN, it also has very helpful information with lots of photos on your service requirements.
One thing about the tranny oil cahnge, when I bought the tractor, my dealer had already (supposedly) changed it from the Chinese stuff. If you can, run it a few hours before changing to allow some gear interface wear and then change again at 50 hrs. I waited until 50 hrs to do mine but that's up to you.
BTW, I looked at those Korean backhoes and they look pretty darn good. Maybe Ron will give you a good deal on one?
Post some pictures!:)

/ BIT THE BULLET--GOT A NEW KAMA TS254C #10  
i need a pull-rod left for the kama ts254c part no. is 520.31.131, can you help me.