Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Default Re: Trailer For tractor

I made the mistake of buying the trailer first and going cheap, bought a 16' homemade job with single axel. Then I bought my BX 25. The trailer did not track well and the trailer + the tractor weight was the tail wagging the dog with my 1/2 ton truck. Found a good used manufactured 18' lift bed with tail and dual braked axels trailer; rated at 14,000#. It was still very quesy with the 1/2 ton truck. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of folks both in and out of the trailer industry. My BX with FEL and BH plus two other implements and accessories weighs in around 6000# + the 2,000# trailer. The largest trailer dealer in our area (when I was pricing new) stated that; if I bought a trailer from him he would not hook it up to my 1/2 Ton truck in his yard but he would deliver (for a fee) to a neutral point and I could do what I want. He blamed liability; as my truck was not rated to carry the 8,000# load. I bit the bullet and bought a 1 ton Dodge 350 dually (used). I now have a dream to drive. I have had 12,000# on the trailer and din't even know it is back there. Moral; No matteer what you get you will probably sometime overload the 1/2 ton truck and find yourself in the ditch or worse piled into somebody else when things go wrong. Always get more than you need to have that safety margin and comfort zone. Side note: I sold that old trailer for $500 and when the guy came to get it he had a small compact car with a class 1 hitch with an adapter to class 2. When he put the load on the car the rear bumper was 6" off the ground and trailer sloping forward. Hope he made it where he was going, but then God seems to protect the fools for some reason, not my luck.

Ron

Advertiser
    Tractor
    Jinma

For the setup you have we offer a 18' with (2) 3500lb axles, ramps and holders, brake on one axle for $1750. You need to deduct the weight of trailer (2 @ 7,000 lbs, trailer usually weighs around 1400lbs, max carry weight 5600lbs) to see if you are able to carry your load safely. If it were me i would go with 6,000 lb axles, better to have a little heavy axle, you may need it sometime.

Ben
    Circle G Tractor Sales, Inc.
    Jinma Tractor Parts, Farm Pro Tractor Parts, Farmpro, Nortrack, Agracat

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

I used to drag around a 3 axle gooseneck with a tractor backhoe on it weighing 27,000 total with a 3/4 Ton pickup. If you use your head you can compensate for anything.

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by sdkubota View Post
    I used to drag around a 3 axle gooseneck with a tractor backhoe on it weighing 27,000 total with a 3/4 Ton pickup. If you use your head you can compensate for anything.
    And you could get away with only minor injuries while killing someone else or their entire family.
    You sir, are the reason there are laws. Laws written in blood.
    Yuchai YCT dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe for sale.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rooks View Post
    And you could get away with only minor injuries while killing someone else or their entire family.
    You sir, are the reason there are laws. Laws written in blood.
    If you think you are going to stop any trailer with 8,000 lbs on it on a dime then you are a fool. Inertia doesn't care what kind of pickup you have or trailer you pull. People get into trouble by not realizing the ramifications of pulling extra weight and the increased distances need for turning, stopping, etc. I never had an accident, never had a close call, but drove like I needed to and for every other driver on the road. Not sure what laws you think I broke.

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

If you think you are going to stop any trailer with 8,000 lbs on it on a dime then you are a fool. Inertia doesn't care what kind of pickup you have or trailer you pull. People get into trouble by not realizing the ramifications of pulling extra weight and the increased distances need for turning, stopping, etc. I never had an accident, never had a close call, but drove like I needed to and for every other driver on the road. Not sure what laws you think I broke.
    My bad. I just noticed you are in South Dakota.
    Laws:
    You must have a CDL if you operate:

A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds.
    A trailer with a GVWR of 10,001 or more pounds if the gross combination weight rating is 26,001 or more
    pounds.

And if you did possess the knowledge to acquire a CDL, then you wouldn't have made the statements that you did.
    Yuchai YCT dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe for sale.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rooks View Post
    My bad. I just noticed you are in South Dakota.
    Laws:
    You must have a CDL if you operate:

A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds.
    A trailer with a GVWR of 10,001 or more pounds if the gross combination weight rating is 26,001 or more
    pounds.

And if you did possess the knowledge to acquire a CDL, then you wouldn't have made the statements that you did.
    They didn't require CDLs at the time.

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

They didn't require CDLs at the time.
    Thank you.
    Let's try to keep information provided in these forums as current and accurate as possible.
    Sometimes "tribal knowledge" and ego will attempt to prevail over common sense and what is legal.
    Try to avoid this for safety's sake.

I digress,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12