Silver Member
    Tractor
    Chinese quality - Jinma 2420 - Ford 1900 - Steiner 420

Default Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420

Just a follow up on this since the other thread is closed,

I replaced the alternator on the tractor finally. I ended up using a Delco 7127M-3 with a internal regulator that was not one wire compatable. I did this mainly due to the cheap cost of the unit ($31 from Advance Auto parts refurbished) and the simplicity of wiring it in. These units even come with a wiring diagram that's necessary in the box. It makes it very easy to follow the directions and swap it out. On mine the new alt is much bigger physically than the old one but it still mounts with the main bolt just fine. Same size bolt hole and all. The pulley that is supplied with the alt is ok as well so no swap out was necessary. All I had to do was to make a new bracket for the 2nd bolt hole and what i did was use the old original bracket and the u shaped latch from a latching mech from a barn door (those with barns should know what this is). I used that just because it was laying around and it is very study steel and avoided any part on the alternator. It works good. I did move the mounting point but that was minor. I cut out the regulator (left it on the tractor though) and just wired those two wires together. And at the alternator I put that connection onto the number 2 one and the number one I just put a wire directly to the + terminal and in this case that's the + output from the alternator. Not very complicated at all and last night I was able to run the tractor with all the lights on for the first time ever ! All other times it was draining the battery when I'd cut in the evening. Also with this setup it'll allow me to add some more 50w lights for some real late night working. I'll put a couple more up there so I can really see.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Steve (with a correctly working Farmpro 2420 finally...nothing broken currently... what a miracle ! )

Tractor
    Jinma 354, Ford 1953 NAA Golden Jubilee, Komatsu Bulldozer

Default Re: Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420

Steve,

Way cool, how many amps or watts is that Delco 7127M-3 rated for?
    My Fortune cookies:
    If you have to ask if you can do something, you probably can't.
    Life is short, especially if you forget to wake up the next day.
    He who hurries wastes time.
    If you must select between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried before.
    Tractor hydraulics is not rocket science.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I'm not sure how this model compairs with a 10si or a 12si.. but many delco are wired similar. #2 to 'power' is fine.. and #1 to switched power.

If you notice your battery goes dead if you don't use it for a week or two, cut the wire to #1, and instead wire it to the switched side of your ignition.. etc.

Soundguy

Quote Originally Posted by stevem5215
    Just a follow up on this since the other thread is closed,

I replaced the alternator on the tractor finally. I ended up using a Delco 7127M-3 with a internal regulator that was not one wire compatable. I did this mainly due to the cheap cost of the unit ($31 from Advance Auto parts refurbished) and the simplicity of wiring it in. These units even come with a wiring diagram that's necessary in the box. It makes it very easy to follow the directions and swap it out. On mine the new alt is much bigger physically than the old one but it still mounts with the main bolt just fine. Same size bolt hole and all. The pulley that is supplied with the alt is ok as well so no swap out was necessary. All I had to do was to make a new bracket for the 2nd bolt hole and what i did was use the old original bracket and the u shaped latch from a latching mech from a barn door (those with barns should know what this is). I used that just because it was laying around and it is very study steel and avoided any part on the alternator. It works good. I did move the mounting point but that was minor. I cut out the regulator (left it on the tractor though) and just wired those two wires together. And at the alternator I put that connection onto the number 2 one and the number one I just put a wire directly to the + terminal and in this case that's the + output from the alternator. Not very complicated at all and last night I was able to run the tractor with all the lights on for the first time ever ! All other times it was draining the battery when I'd cut in the evening. Also with this setup it'll allow me to add some more 50w lights for some real late night working. I'll put a couple more up there so I can really see.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Steve (with a correctly working Farmpro 2420 finally...nothing broken currently... what a miracle ! )

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Chinese quality - Jinma 2420 - Ford 1900 - Steiner 420

7127 is the GM 10Si version I believe. It's the 63amp alternator. I have it wired in with the stock Jinma 30a gauge and key switch for power. We'll see how the wiring works out as there are times when it's not started in 3 or 4 weeks.

Steve