Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #1  

stevem5215

Platinum Member
Tractor
Steiner 420 - Black Craftsman Pro 24hp - Simplicity 48 ZT-2500 - Simplicity Citation XT 61" - Chainsaw CS-5720 - FarmerTec G660 90cc's
Just a follow up on this since the other thread is closed,

I replaced the alternator on the tractor finally. I ended up using a Delco 7127M-3 with a internal regulator that was not one wire compatable. I did this mainly due to the cheap cost of the unit ($31 from Advance Auto parts refurbished) and the simplicity of wiring it in. These units even come with a wiring diagram that's necessary in the box. It makes it very easy to follow the directions and swap it out. On mine the new alt is much bigger physically than the old one but it still mounts with the main bolt just fine. Same size bolt hole and all. The pulley that is supplied with the alt is ok as well so no swap out was necessary. All I had to do was to make a new bracket for the 2nd bolt hole and what i did was use the old original bracket and the u shaped latch from a latching mech from a barn door (those with barns should know what this is). I used that just because it was laying around and it is very study steel and avoided any part on the alternator. It works good. I did move the mounting point but that was minor. I cut out the regulator (left it on the tractor though) and just wired those two wires together. And at the alternator I put that connection onto the number 2 one and the number one I just put a wire directly to the + terminal and in this case that's the + output from the alternator. Not very complicated at all and last night I was able to run the tractor with all the lights on for the first time ever ! All other times it was draining the battery when I'd cut in the evening. Also with this setup it'll allow me to add some more 50w lights for some real late night working. I'll put a couple more up there so I can really see.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Steve (with a correctly working Farmpro 2420 finally...nothing broken currently... what a miracle ! )

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #2  
Steve,

Way cool, how many amps or watts is that Delco 7127M-3 rated for?

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #3  
I'm not sure how this model compairs with a 10si or a 12si.. but many delco are wired similar. #2 to 'power' is fine.. and #1 to switched power.

If you notice your battery goes dead if you don't use it for a week or two, cut the wire to #1, and instead wire it to the switched side of your ignition.. etc.

Soundguy

stevem5215 said:
Just a follow up on this since the other thread is closed,

I replaced the alternator on the tractor finally. I ended up using a Delco 7127M-3 with a internal regulator that was not one wire compatable. I did this mainly due to the cheap cost of the unit ($31 from Advance Auto parts refurbished) and the simplicity of wiring it in. These units even come with a wiring diagram that's necessary in the box. It makes it very easy to follow the directions and swap it out. On mine the new alt is much bigger physically than the old one but it still mounts with the main bolt just fine. Same size bolt hole and all. The pulley that is supplied with the alt is ok as well so no swap out was necessary. All I had to do was to make a new bracket for the 2nd bolt hole and what i did was use the old original bracket and the u shaped latch from a latching mech from a barn door (those with barns should know what this is). I used that just because it was laying around and it is very study steel and avoided any part on the alternator. It works good. I did move the mounting point but that was minor. I cut out the regulator (left it on the tractor though) and just wired those two wires together. And at the alternator I put that connection onto the number 2 one and the number one I just put a wire directly to the + terminal and in this case that's the + output from the alternator. Not very complicated at all and last night I was able to run the tractor with all the lights on for the first time ever ! All other times it was draining the battery when I'd cut in the evening. Also with this setup it'll allow me to add some more 50w lights for some real late night working. I'll put a couple more up there so I can really see.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Steve (with a correctly working Farmpro 2420 finally...nothing broken currently... what a miracle ! )

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420
7127 is the GM 10Si version I believe. It's the 63amp alternator. I have it wired in with the stock Jinma 30a gauge and key switch for power. We'll see how the wiring works out as there are times when it's not started in 3 or 4 weeks.

Steve

I found my old thread on this and wanted to mention that the alternator is still in operation on this tractor. Been 10 years now with a refurb alternator. Shows how good these GM alternators can be in Tractor duty.

Steve

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #6  
gm 10si are very good alts. i have a few on tractors that are vintage.

And it's still working fine. Wonder how long it can last ? I think we have around 900hrs on the tractor now.

Steve

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #8  
I have no doubts on gm 10-si

/ Alternator not charging battery on FarmPro 2420 #9  
And it's still working fine. Wonder how long it can last ? I think we have around 900hrs on the tractor now.

Steve

I built a control circuit for a Pelton wheel hydro unit on a small farm that was off grid years ago.
150 foot drop and plenty of allowed water use .

The Pelton wheel was direct drive to a 10 SI and The wheel ran 24/7.

In 5 years we had to go through 2 units and both just needed bearings and we replaced the carbon brushes.

That worked out to around 22,000 hours for each 10si before bearings needed replaced @15 amps continuous.

The 10SI is solid for sure.