Default Hot Hydraulic Fluid ?

Jinma 254 FEL Chipper
    I ran the chipper for a couple of hours and when I tried to return to the garage the 3 point would barely lift the unit .
    I let it sit for a while and it was fine.
    Is this normal hot hydraulic fluid?
    Anyone?

Tractor
    JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170

Default Re: Hot Hydraulic Fluid ?

It can happen. Hot hydraulic oil or any hot oil for that matter get's thinner as it get's hot. Thin oil does not perform as well as cooler oil does. You could try going with the next higher viscosity oil to help counter this somewhat. Better yet go with a high quality multi-viscosity fluid that would offer better hot temp operating characteristics. What viscosity is the oil currently in your system?

Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Quote Originally Posted by rkevis
    Jinma 254 FEL Chipper
    I ran the chipper for a couple of hours and when I tried to return to the garage the 3 point would barely lift the unit .
    Anyone?
    I don't understand the relationship between a PTO driven chipper and hot hydraulics. Hydraulic fluid gets hot, yes. Heat is a natural byproduct of compression. But the fact that you were running a chipper should have nothing to do with heating up hydraulic fluid.

Assuming your hydraulic sump is actually filled to the correct level, take a look at the dipstick. It should be have fluid that looks almost clear as water - and drips almost as fast. If it's cloudy and/or has a buttery texture, it's been contaminated with water. If it's dark - it's simply old and dirty. Drain, flush with kero, refill with non-foaming AW32. Problem should go away

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Advertiser
    Tractor
    Jinma Dealer / Importer. General Tractor Repair Shop.

Quote Originally Posted by rkevis
    Jinma 254 FEL Chipper
    Anyone?
    If you are truly feeling excessive heat from the hydraulic's ??? then something is heating the oil.

If the hyd fluid is low and the engine turning a 540 rpm PTO speed and the hyd pump was pumping air and oil.... that will heat it up.

IF your hyd fluid is clean and full .... I would then think what could be restricting the oil .... another oil heater.

There are many more reasons??

Let us know what you find.

Ronald
    Ranch Hand Supply