JM284 pto engage lever broke off

/ JM284 pto engage lever broke off #1  

geobar

When I tried to engage the pto, the lever broke off where it is welded to the collar. Since the collar is only pinned to the shaft it does not look to be a big deal to remove. But I also noticed that the shaft is spring loaded to jump back into the housing. My question is: how far in will the shaft retract when I drive the pin through the collar, and how to pull the shaft back out enough to put the collar and pin back on. Thanks.

/ JM284 pto engage lever broke off #2  
At least you know about the spring - that puts you ahead of many others who've found out the hard way. If you're careful to keep the shaft from getting pulled back inside, it's possible to pin a replacement lever in there. Or - remove the broken collar and use a cotter key to hold the shaft out while welding the collar back onto the lever.

Otherwise you'll have to remove the seat and the hydraulic sump in order to gain access to the shaft from the inside. If you're forced to go this route, be prepared to replace the gasket that goes between the housing and the sump

//greg//

/ JM284 pto engage lever broke off
Wow! Thanks Greg. Sure glad that I asked before pulling that collar off. Save a lot of time and aggravation.

/ JM284 pto engage lever broke off #4  
Do you have room for using neadle nose vice grips to hild the shaft while removing the collar? Other wise I supose you could drill and tap a small hole in the end so you can hold it.

/ JM284 pto engage lever broke off
The shaft can be pulled out a little bit under spring load (with the collar still on), but I do not think that I would trust the vice grips while I drive out the pin. I was thinking of cleaning up the shaft and threading it, drilling into the collar and using a blind tap, then if necessary a small spot weld. No need to rush into this since I am using the neutral position of the pto speed selector to disengage the pto. Are there any precautions I need to take with the alternator or anything else if I need to use a welder?

/ JM284 pto engage lever broke off #6  
geobar said:
I am using the neutral position of the pto speed selector to disengage the pto.
You can actually continue to do that indefinitely. I had JM254s almost identical to your 284, and never used the PTO disengage lever. Like you, I simply went back and forth between Neutral and 540 on the PTO speed control lever.

//greg//

/ JM284 pto engage lever broke off #7  
As far as welding,,perfect world,,take it off machine,,course that generally ain't possible,,next ground it on or as close as you can,to where you are welding,,probably don't need to disconnect battery,but we always do for some reason,,,than the time or two you don't,,nothing bad happens,,,strange,,just ground it on the part you are making sparks and it should turn out all right,,,that chinese steel is I think mostly cast iron,,or pot metal on stuff like handels,,might be tricky to get a good weld,,best thing to do would be order a new part,thingy

/ JM284 pto engage lever broke off #8  
I wouls clean up the handle on the shaft/lever and put the ground ON the handle, grind/clean up the color and then weld it back on leaving the collor in-place if possable, I think there is a ball inside that can fall out if you let the spring/shaft go too far back in? I can't remember for sure but I think that was how that worked for a detent?

anyhow you may want to drill the collar a bit with a bit same size as the handle so that the handle slips into the detent/hole slightly and put 2 small tack welds on the handle to collar. disconnecting battery would be OK probably not required but this is old tech. simply unbolt - terminal from the frame leaving rest hooked up.

mark M

/ JM284 pto engage lever broke off #9  
geobar said:
When I tried to engage the pto, the lever broke off where it is welded to the collar. Since the collar is only pinned to the shaft it does not look to be a big deal to remove. But I also noticed that the shaft is spring loaded to jump back into the housing. My question is: how far in will the shaft retract when I drive the pin through the collar, and how to pull the shaft back out enough to put the collar and pin back on. Thanks.

Easiest way to access is to pull the access plate under the creeper lever.
Don't need to pull the seat. Be pretty obvious how to remove the spring and
pawl so you can remove shaft and weld.. We get broken pawls in here a couple of times a year.
This results in not being able to engage the pto transmission. Total fix time less than an hour..

Graham