the zerk that won't

/ the zerk that won't #1  

frigman

Tractor
farm pro 2425
This is driving me goofier that my wife says I am. I have a Farm Pro 2425 and the grease fitting on the wheel knuckle for the power steering arm will take no grease. I've changed the zerk , raised the front end and workrd the knuckle back and forth---still won't take grease. Thats problem one. I bent the steering rod that connects left to right wheel. If I that the nuts off will thit rod pop off so I can strighten it. I'ts not bent real badly but it rubs on the undercarriage of the front differential. Being part newbie, I really would appreciate any help.

/ the zerk that won't #2  
I've got one on a tie rod doing the same thing. It's an obstruction somewhere. I'm going to take the tie rod apart and fix it. my guess, the hole don't go all the way thru.

/ the zerk that won't #3  
One of mine is very hard to get grease in,the right one on top of steering knuckle,changed zerks,,,but,,if I put alotta pressure it goes very slow,so slow that you can see no grease coming out,,but if I wait a min or so,,it starts oozing out,,probably like the man said,to small a hole in my case? Seems like mine is getting harder,maybe parts are wearing,making smaller openings.
As far as tie rod,never had mine off,but if yours is rubbing you gotta take it off seems to me like,[wonder I ain't bent mine,,its drug earth before],,yeah you would think by taking those nuts off it would come loose?Somebody else probably has experience taking them off,maybe they will read this,,,thingy

/ the zerk that won't #4  
frigman said:
I have a Farm Pro 2425 and the grease fitting on the wheel knuckle for the power steering arm will take no grease. I've changed the zerk , raised the front end and workrd the knuckle back and forth---still won't take grease.
Remove the zerk again, but this time probe the hole for obstructions. Use a little diesel fuel in the hole to thin out the grease. The put on goggles and blow out the hole with compressed air. If there's an obstruction that might clear it, but at least you should be able to see then what's directly under the zerk. I have a can full of dental picks for jobs just like that.

frigman said:
I bent the steering rod that connects left to right wheel. If I that the nuts off will thit rod pop off so I can strighten it. I'ts not bent real badly but it rubs on the undercarriage of the front differential.
It's dead simple to remove - but be very very careful with the threaded ends of the draglink. If you crush those hollow threaded ends out of round, you'll never get the tie rod end(s) to reinstall. Mark the threads on the tie rod ends before uninstalling too, otherwise you'll have to go through the whole toe-in process from scratch.

//greg//

/ the zerk that won't #5  
A blind hole for a grease zerk.. now that's just classic... That's an example of some fine machine work.. or a great sense of humor on some overseas fellow.

Makes ya wonder how the factory lubed that part prior to shipping it.. ( does QC exist? or is it all just bolted together with eyes closed?) Next part is how the state-side dealer let that slip by... a fitting that don't take grease is more than obvious...

I expect the overseas 10 cent a week workers to miss it.. But when the boat drops it off to the dealer here in the states.. it's just pathetic when they miss it.

If it's a crate tractor.. then bump that last statement. It's back to the owner having to catch all the 'whoopsies' that the manufacture can export...

Soundguy

/ the zerk that won't #6  
I too have a tie rod end that's probably not drilled through. Good project for me to get that fixed this weekend. Raining like crazy here.

/ the zerk that won't #7  
Soundguy,they got q.c.,,its just they are paying him 9 cents a week...thingy

/ the zerk that won't #8  
During my visit to china, I was told the average industrial wage was around 700 rnb ,which equates to about .53 per hour in USD. I look for this number to increase as the quality of product increases and selling prices increase. Prices are much lower in china. I bought a cheap watch because I left mine home for about $2.25. If I had to guess, the buying power is closer to 1.25 per hour. I think they also have some very low cost housing. Most ride bicycles or scooters to work. I even saw motorcycles with big boxes of stuff strapped down both sides and across the seat... The intersting thing is I saw a lot of people smiling. I doubt many of us would find reason to smile living in those conditions. We have attache dour happyness to owning stuff, it is important to many of us to brag about our stuff to others, If we have better stuff, we are obviously better than the rest. Remember that you cant take your stuff with you when you go... Those of us that live here in the USA have truly recieved a great blessing for which we need to remain thankful. We also need to be sure that the important things in life don't get confused with our financial condition The sun rises and sets the same for everyone regardless of their balance sheet.

/ the zerk that won't #9  
SoundGuy,

I think you are being a little bit harsh. We the China tractor buyers know going in there are a few bugs to work out. When I got my tractor, I had to fill all the grease fittings. I did have a need to disassemble a grease area and there was some grease but certainly not full! I needed a starter and I'm sure a few more items will pop up as I zoom in on 80 hr after two years of ownership. I'm sure you are not in the camp of thinking a dealer will tweek these China tractors and out comes a Ford or JD. These are great tractors for the money. I could not have even considered buy a 45 hp Kabota. For what I paid for this KAMA, I'd have a nice Kabota lawn mower. I would not reccomend a China tractor to anyone with the highest of quality expectations.

I have been very happy with both my tractor and my dealer, Chip

/ the zerk that won't #10  
bluechip, that is interesting. I sure would like to go to China to visit.

re the zerk problem. I have a Great Bend FEL that is made in the US by Bush Hog inc. and one of the zerks on a pivot pin would not take grease. It was not drilled through the bushing. Frigman, your tierod end may not be drilled through.