Adding hydraulic attachments to a Q.A. front loader

/ Adding hydraulic attachments to a Q.A. front loader #1  

zogman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kama TS354C & Ferguson TO20
Has anyone done this? I know 3RRL (aka-west coast Rob)has come close with his grapple, beautiful work by the way. I have a skid steer style quick attach loader mount on my Koyker 160 and I was thinking about using a PTO pump and possibly my backhoe reservoir to power a front end brushhog or harley rake. Seems like it would be really nice to have some implements in front of me and a breeze to hook up! Just wondering if any of you had already tried this.

/ Adding hydraulic attachments to a Q.A. front loader #2  
I have a KAMA 354C with Koyker 160 and 5' Quick Attach bucket. I also have a Quick Attach Grapple that replaces the bucket. Sounds similar to what you are looking for.

The Hydraulics are plumbed through a Prince 3 spool valve. One Spool (variable flow control) for Lift, one for curl and one for the Grapple jaws.

The PTO driven pump hydraulics go into the 3 spool valve and then return back to the Pump. Each Spool has 2 hoses, one for pressure and the other for return.

I can supply further setup information if this is something you may consider.

Tim

/ Adding hydraulic attachments to a Q.A. front loader #3  
Hi East Coast,
When you say PTO pump, do you mean like a hydraulic pump that you plug onto the PTO shaft? So you would be running hoses to your front hydraulic implement from a PTO pump hooked on your rear PTO? Some guys do that now using their rear remotes if you have them but I don't see why your idea wouldn't work.

Then my question is powering the brushhog or Harley rake which normally runs off the PTO itself, unless I'm wrong here? So it would be neat to have a PTO drive on the front too. I don't have a real QD bucket but I'm going to make a pin attached QD plate so I can mount a Harbor Freight EZ hitch on the front loader. I was going to use it to move implements or trailers etc. Adding a front PTO drive would be a great improvement to run the brushhog. Heck, you could run your backhoe or hyd PHD on the front too then.:)

/ Adding hydraulic attachments to a Q.A. front loader
Mr Fix it,
I would really appreciate any rough drawing or detail you might have. You can PM me or post pictures. I would really like to see your setup. Is your grapple a skid steer implement you are using for a tractor? I remember something you previously posted about it weight. Thanks - Rob

Hello WC Rob,
I was thinking of using the external pump from my backhoe or get a bigger one since I have no idea what GPM rating you need to power some of the skid steer implements. I'm just thinking the QA feature is a whole lot easier to work with than a 3 pt hitch, It would be really easy to drop my bucket and drive right up to an implement snap down the two locking levers and connect a couple of hoses and roll on. Some of my dream QA implements would be an auger, brush hog and harley rake all of which are available for skid steers with hydraulic drives (no PTO to fight with!) I don't understand why we still use 3pt hitches. It seems to me you could back up to a (3pt hitch)QA plate and raise up the rear arms lock it in and go. Maybe someone can dash my theories and straighten me out , and make me stop daydreaming about tractors!

/ Adding hydraulic attachments to a Q.A. front loader #6  
Hmmmm,
Interesting concept.
Sure would be a lot less hassel plugging in a couple of hydraulic remotes vs hooking up a hydraulic pump to the PTO and fasten it to keep it from spinning.

/ Adding hydraulic attachments to a Q.A. front loader #7  
I think you will find running skid steer type implements will take much more flow than the onboard pump and remotes on the KM would produce. Will need more than avaialable 8 or 9gpm to run hyd motor on a brush hog or powered rake post hole digger, etc.

/ Adding hydraulic attachments to a Q.A. front loader #8  
Hi Rob,

I'll try and get my camera to take PICs Saturday. It seems to only take 1 meg pics.

I looked at a Hydraulic drive Front Brush mower and the price was way out of my range. Maybe others are more reasonable. Chip is correct with the Flow requirements, I'd take a look at all the toys you may be interested in and make sure your pump has the capabilities.

The dual jaw QA Skid Steer Grapple came from a company under the Pirhanna name and is extrmely heavy duty ( and heavy, 615 pounds)

Does your Pump have Quick Attack Hose fittings?

Tim

/ Adding hydraulic attachments to a Q.A. front loader #9  
Hi all,

Maybe not what you have in mind but ...

Erskine :Snow Blower - FRONT STEER / ERSKINE™ ATTACHMENTS, INC.

Converts the rear PTO to a front PTO to run the front snowblower.

Interesting concept if you used same principals, dropped the blower and with some fabrication you may be able to mount a bushog on it instead. Front mount hog with hydraulics to raise\lower. Sounds like a idea.

Probably a little pricey concept but a little ingenuity and a lot of talent may make it work.

Also think that Ranch Hand had some infor on prototype snowblowers that ran off mid PTO's for Jinmas. That would probably make it even easier.

Later and have a great nite.

Tom

I talked to a company that manufactures the Hydraulically driven Brush Buster QA mower. He said the 60" mower takes 13 GPM flow to run it and it can cut 3" brush with ease. I don't know if I need that kind of capability but is would be nice. The killer is it costs $4.3K delivered. I was thinking of something a little less tough for a lot less $$. I think this thing is built for clearing swamps or jungle.

Anyone know anything about hydraulic motors? The manufacturer mentioned the Brush Buster had an overpressure valve which would definitely come in handy when you hit a stump.