Oil & Fuel JM284 fuel problem

/ JM284 fuel problem #1  

Foggy

Tractor
Jinma 284LE (2006)
I'd just finished a trouble-free 3-hour mowing session on the weekend, parked the JM285 (2006 model) for a break, and when I came back could not get it restarted.

The starter was turning over fine, but as soon as I released the ignition switch the engine would stop. I suspected a fuel problem, so followed the troubleshooting process described in

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...fter-stall.html?highlight=jinma+fuel+injector

I verified fuel flow as follows:

1) Tank to fuel pump - OK
2) Fuel pump to fuel filter - OK
3) Fuel filter to injection pump - OK
4) Injection pump to tank return - OK
5) Injection pump to injector - NO FLOW

For (5) I removed the hard line going into one of the injectors, hand-pumped the fuel, and got nothing.

Is it safe to assume I have a problem with my injector pump? How can I diagnose the problem further?

Not sure it if it important, but at one point when I was trying to restart the tractor, I got it to start but it revved incredibly high for a few seconds before I killed it. After that I couldn't get it to start at all. Could this indicate a governor problem?

Advice appreciated. My service guy is out of town for a few days, and I'd like to make some progress on a fix ASAP.

Regards, Foggy

/ JM284 fuel problem #2  
We have seen this before,sounds like you have some debris in your fuel system,and it has 1-of the pistons in the injector pump stuck,you will have to remove the top of the injector pump to repair.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ JM284 fuel problem
Thanks Tommy.

Can anyone point me to a site/thread detailing the stripping of the injector pump? Is this something I should be attempting, or should I leave it to a pro?

/ JM284 fuel problem #4  
The hand pump will not supply fuel to the hard lines at the injector, you will only get fuel there when the engine is cranking. Be sure the stop lever on the injector pump has returned fully (the one the cable pulls on when you shut off the tractor).

/ JM284 fuel problem #5  
You stated: "For (5) I removed the hard line going into one of the injectors, hand-pumped the fuel, and got nothing."

The injection pump will only send fuel to the injectors while the engine is turning over. Crack the nuts on the injectors and crank the engine over and see if you have fuel.

As bluechip mentioned make sure the fuel shutoff is completely disengaged.

As far as repairing the injection pump that is something best left to a injection pump repair shop.

/ JM284 fuel problem #6  
Foggy said:
For (5) I removed the hard line going into one of the injectors, hand-pumped the fuel, and got nothing.
I personally have no faith that the hand primer is capable of reliably moving fuel between the injection pump and the injectors (up the hardlines). For that step, I use the starter motor. So before you start dismantling the injection pump, I suggest that you
1. put the transmission in Neutral and set the brakes
2. loosen the hardline compression fittings at the injector end
3. open the compression release
4. crank the engine with the ignition switch
If you've already confirmed fuel being delivered TO the injection pump component of the fuel delivery assembly, then it shouldn't take more than 10 seconds of cranking to observe fuel at the injector ends of the hardlines. Optionally, you can do this one hardline at a time.

If fuel is now being delivered to the injectors, tighten the compression fittings. The engine should start. If one or more lines is not delivering fuel, then consider Tommy's recommendation.

//greg//

/ JM284 fuel problem
Thanks all. I'll test the delivery to the injectors by turning the engine over.

Foggy