No left turns!

/ No left turns! #1  

joerocker

Silver Member
Tractor
Farm Pro 2420
I was cutting some grass today and towards the end I noticed that my manual steering tractor (Farmpro/Jinma) didn't want to turn left.

It turned right as usual but felt "funny" and VERY stiff going left.

Anyone else have a steering problem? I looked at the manual and I THINK I have the ball bearing steering. It talked about adjusting it but I couldn't figure out how.

Any ideas?

/ No left turns! #2  
I'm not specifically familiar with your steering setup, however have rebuilt many mechanical steering assemblies on old tractors.

Usually you have the steering wheel shaft turning a worm gear with a ballnut that engages a sector gear, which is on a sector shaft, and that turns a steering arm which pulls or pushes on a draglink and tie rod end up at the front axle spindle thus turning your tractor. On newer models there is only 1 sector /steering arm / and draglink going forward, and then from there there is a draglink going from one steeirng arm to the other, across the front of the tractor. On some older tractors, the first sector gear engaged another sector gear behind it, and thus there was a right and left steering draglink independently pushing / pulling on the steering arms a tthe front of the tractor, and thus, no 'cross' draglink from one spindle to the other.

You have a few areas to look at. The prime failure is the top thrust bearing ont he steering worm shaft. it sets at the top of the steering box and can starve for lube... bottom thrust bearing can also go out.. but usually doesn't as often.

Next area to look at is the sector backlash adjustment.-May- be a stud with a retainer nut on the opposite side of where the steering sector arm / draglink is.. will depend on design. I fthe backlash is excessively tight, it will cause hard steering. if it is excessively loose it will cause sloppy steering ( excessive play and non responsiveness ), and can in some cases allow binding due to the sector gear cocking and binding slightly against the worm. Bushing clearance will determine how much ,if any, it can cock. Ecsessivve backlas clearance -may- allow the sector bushing to wear prematurely.

Spindle bushings can cause hard steering and binding if the are wallowed out and allow the spindle to get in a bind.

Wheel bearings can cause hard steering if there is excessive clearance and it allows the hub to cock against the axle.. this will also lead to early seal failure, bearing failure, hub damage, axle damage and will cause less responsive steering, wobble at high speeds, and may make it overall more difficult to steer... effects toe and camber.. etc..

Jack the front end up.. if it is tight with the front wheels of fthe ground. disconect steering draglink, and isolate.

My bet is on a bad thust bearing in the steering box. Evidence of this can also be seen as the steering wheel apepars to rise / fall or screw in / out of the steering column. what you are seeing is excessive clearance caused by a shelle dout bearing.. etc.

If your tractor doesn't use the worm / sector style of steering.. nothing i wrote is applicable for the steering box.. etc.

If it was an old tractor I could give you more specific advice.. if it was an old ford.. I could give you part numbers...

good luck. post back with what you find.

Soundguy

/ No left turns! #3  
The manual steering has been reliable so I have not been inside one, but to be able to steer one way and not the other sounds like something bent in the linkage perhaps? I think the steering column turns a worm gear which acts upon the sector gear, no ball nuts in this box as I recall.

/ No left turns!
Thanks!

I tightened up the "sector Backlash" and it seems to be better. A little "firmer" but not as much "play" in everything. It "seems" to have fixed it but I haven't driven it a lot yet.

I filled the steering box up with gear lube and greased everything today.

Hopefully it's fixed.

/ No left turns!
Well the steering is still hosed...I called my dealer and they're having FarmPro send me a new steering box. It looks to be an easy fix.

I jacked up the tractor and you can feel a "catching" as you turn the wheel with no weight on them. I disconnected the steering from the steering box and it does the same. Problem is definitely in the box. With weight on the wheels and moving it will sometimes turn OK to the left and other times it feels like the steering is binding up and REALLY hard to turn, you can hear it groaning.

/ No left turns! #6  
My bet is a thrust bearing on the worm shaft goin out.. allowing excessive shaft play, allowing binding, especially when loaded....

Soundguy

/ No left turns! #7  
joerocker said:
Well the steering is still hosed...I called my dealer and they're having FarmPro send me a new steering box. It looks to be an easy fix.

I jacked up the tractor and you can feel a "catching" as you turn the wheel with no weight on them. I disconnected the steering from the steering box and it does the same. Problem is definitely in the box. With weight on the wheels and moving it will sometimes turn OK to the left and other times it feels like the steering is binding up and REALLY hard to turn, you can hear it groaning.
If I knew which type steering box you had, I could post a schematic. I have one of the crankpin type, and one of the circulating ball type.

//greg//