Engine Popping Noise through air intake - What could it be

/ Engine Popping Noise through air intake - What could it be #1  

craigermags

Looking for some answers to a new problem.

I have a tractor sold under the name of Hercules - Model 3304. It has a Benye T13951T engine and is a reverse steer tractor and served me well this snow season while using a snow blower. I purchased it in 2004 and it has very few hours on it, perhaps 45 total.

Up until today in started easily and ran great. Today I fired it up to let it warm up but after about two minutes it starting backfiring through the air intake. In fact it disconnect the 2" hose from the filter canister.

I am searching for possible explanation and fixes to this problem. Any help from the experts out there would be appreciated.

Thanks Craig in North Idaho

/ Engine Popping Noise through air intake - What could it be #2  
Check for stuck intake valves, broken valve springs, and bent push rods (observe valve motion while turning the engine over manually).
If all is well, re-torque the cylinder head and check the valve lash on all cylinders.
I also wouldn't hurt to check the injector timing, and to pop test the injectors.

/ Engine Popping Noise through air intake - What could it be #3  
Like BR said the first place to start is with the valves. It sounds like one of your intake valves is either stuck or being held open. Remove the valve cover and turn the engine over manually and check for rocker arm operation. Check the valve adjustment. Some overheads get tighter as they wear instead of looser and will cause the valve to not seat all the way. Broken valve springs can also do this as there will not be enough spring preasure to hold the valve closed. Check these things first and report back your findings.

/ Engine Popping Noise through air intake - What could it be #4  
I would check what Bob Rooks has posted first on a over night cold engine.

Sounds like compression coming back through intake... intake valve not closing.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

/ Engine Popping Noise through air intake - What could it be
I would like to thank everyone who helped with my problem. After checking it was a stuck valve. I am back in operation

Craig

/ Engine Popping Noise through air intake - What could it be #6  
craigermags said:
I would like to thank everyone who helped with my problem. After checking it was a stuck valve. I am back in operation

Craig

Hey Craig,

Be sure to check the Push Rod for Bend, by Rotating the Push Rod,, Whilst having the Feeler Gauge in Position.

Can you provide more Details on your Fix? Information would be helpful for other's.

Glad you got your Tractor running again,
Joe:cool: