3-Point Hitch Flat head screws on 3-point hitch

/ Flat head screws on 3-point hitch #1  

bigcountry1009

Tractor
Farm Pro 2420
My Farm Pro 2420/Jinma 204 has two screws on the top of the 3-point hitch, one on each side of the housing where the lift arms go in. They are leaking fluid when the tractor is on. Is there a purpose for these? And, can I take them out, clean and put sealant on them to stop the leaking??

/ Flat head screws on 3-point hitch #2  
I've never actually been sure what they're for, and the parts book is no help. The only SWAG I ever came up with was that they were set screws to hold the upper arms in a fixed position while it was transported via crate. Mine never leaked, so I just forgot about them after a while. But I guess if they did, I'd just (sparingly) use some pipe thread compound. Careful not to let any get into the hydraulic fluid though.

That said, they're awful high on the housing to "leak" under normal operation. Is the hydraulic vent plugged by any chance? Overfilled?

//greg//

/ Flat head screws on 3-point hitch #3  
Mine leaked and it was because of the vent being stopped up as Greg said. The vent is the bent pipe on top of the refill, check fluid plug. I blew it out and the leaking oil stopped.

/ Flat head screws on 3-point hitch #4  
bigcountry1009 said:
My Farm Pro 2420/Jinma 204 has two screws on the top of the 3-point hitch, one on each side of the housing where the lift arms go in. They are leaking fluid when the tractor is on. Is there a purpose for these? And, can I take them out, clean and put sealant on them to stop the leaking??

If it is the two screws I think you are talking about ??

There purpose is to hold the lift arm bushings in place.

To confirm my thought... remove the screw and it should have a tip/point on the end of it.

They are shown in the parts book I have.

If oil is coming out around those screws .... pressure is building inside the lift box or it may be over filled.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

/ Flat head screws on 3-point hitch #5  
Yeah mine did/does leak a tiny bit there to,,mine were just loose,piss poor design,,,still weeps slightly when it gets hot,,,,my vent was not plugged and hydro was not overfull,,,just tighten them real good,,and if thats the only leak you got,man you be doing good! thingy

/ Flat head screws on 3-point hitch
Good deal, I'll put wrap em with some thread tape and put the He-man torque on em, see what happens.

/ Flat head screws on 3-point hitch #7  
Be real carefull with that teflon tape on hydro stuff,piece gets in it might plug up something,,maybe that loctight stuff might be better,let it about half dry maybe? thingy

/ Flat head screws on 3-point hitch #8  
bigcountry1009 said:
Good deal, I'll put wrap em with some thread tape and put the He-man torque on em, see what happens.
I specifically identified pipe thread compound as opposed to teflon tape. And note too that I cautioned about getting any into the hydraulic fluid. Too many folks have found tape clogging chokepoints in their hydraulic and lubrication systems. Don't be tempted to use anything that will sieze/freeze/lock the threads either. Soon as you do, there'll come a day when you actually want to take them out for some legitimate reason.

//greg//

/ Flat head screws on 3-point hitch #9  
You can break that lock tight stuff loose,,probably won't work anyways with all the oil,,all he's gotta do is put a little man power with a screw driver anyways,,,and check them every now and than,like I said,piss poor design,,but no big deal,,mines been oozing for 4 years now,,,thingy

/ Flat head screws on 3-point hitch #10  
From post #4

If it is just weeping hyd oil and keeping it damp ??/ I would not be concerned.

The ends of thoses scews when tighten all the way down will rub the lift shaft.

I recommend to run the screw down and back off 1/4 turn.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply