Seal Relacement 284 Steering

/ Seal Relacement 284 Steering #1  

Ewal

Tractor
Iron Horse Tractor [JM 284]
My 284 IHT, a jinma , has developed a major leak in the left final drive. The seals in the housing under the felt washer are allowing gear oil to seep all over the lower section of the final drive unit.
The tractor has 129 hrs on the meter and started leaking the last of the winter during cold weather conditions for snow cleanup.
My dealer has provided replacement seals and I am getting ready to tackle the job when the weather is good enough to allow me to work.
Has anyone done this replacement ? I have reviewed the manuals and I have a pretty good idea on what needs doing and how to do it ,but I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has some experience.
The lower section of the final drive looks to weigh better than 50 pounds so the use of a jack is a given.
Thanks, Ewal

/ Seal Relacement 284 Steering #2  
Does that final drive sump have a vent / vent plug? If so.. service it.. pluged vents cause blown seal.

good luck.

Get an exploded diagram of the area you are repairing so you have less chances for surprises.

Also.. Unless it was just a bad seal.. or blown seal.. -DO- try to find out why the seal failed. In many cases a seal fails because a bearing is going and causing excessive shaft movement.. thus taking out the seal. So when you get it down.. check the beairngs on the associated parts.. that way you won't be teraing it down again in a few months to repalce the seals and the bearings.

Soundguy

/ Seal Relacement 284 Steering #3  
It's not a real big job,remove the wheel and tire, take the 6-bolt cover off the standing shaft,when you take bolt # 9 loose the assembly is going to drop down, replace the felt washer and the seal FB50x72x7, put it back together.Check the bearings for wear,most of the time we find the failure was due to mud and dirt that has been pushed up into the felt washer area

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales