Pile of Fill

/ Pile of Fill #1  

TomG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1710: Loader, Hoe, Snowblower, Box scrapper & 3ph Forks
Eight loads of fill were dumped into a hole where a house was at our camp. Exactly when things are going to happen around here aren't always defined. The pile of fill just showed up. The hole is about 5' deep, and the fill occupies half of the hold, is around 15'x30' on top and goes about 5' above ground level. The pile is real steep,

So, I'm looking at the pile and thinking 'Wonder how am I going to spread this out in the hole?' I'll bet that if I go into the hole to pull some of it down, it'll fall on me. I could pull some down to make a ramp up to the top of it. However, I bet the tractor would have no traction, and probably would bury itself, in the loose fill. Even if I manage to push it around on top, I bet there's a good chance the edge would collapse and I'd slide into the hole. Even if none of that happened, the tractor just isn't going to compact the fill very much.

I was still pondering on how to do this yesterday morning, and figured I'd most likely end up buried below or burrowed on top. The phone rang. It was the guy who did the demolition. So, he says: 'The pile looks a little ominous for your tractor. Did you want me to spread it out with the dozer and bring some top soil? ' Didn't take me long to agree.

Perhaps there's a good safe way to do this sort of thing with a compact tractor. If there is, I don't know what it is. Maybe somebody has some suggestions. However, at the moment, I think the job is a far better place for construction equipment than for compact tractors.

Maybe there's even a place for construction equipment in my life. I only took me three months to argue myself into a tractor. Wonder how long it would take for a dozer. Of course, if we bought a 100-acre bush lot, that might clarify the argument somewhat.

/ Pile of Fill #2  
TomG - Piles of material are very, very variable. There are too many different factors to be able to generalize much. For example, I've driven on small piles of sandy material that were so unstable that I immediately decided to only work from the edge. But when the material is that loose, you can do that, because as you pull it away from the edge, higher material keeps sliding down and taking it's place. On the other hand, a good grade of fill will compact enough as you drive up it that it becomes fairly stable. I would never drive into it at any angle other than head on, though. You may remember another post of mine where I was drivng halfway up a large pile of fill. You can do that when it's good compacting fill. Otherwise, you have to stay off it.

Mark

/ Pile of Fill #3  
TomG,

In my opinion, you made a very wise decision. When the dozer finishes the clean up, you might consider broadcasting, some native grass seed to the area. That will help prevent any erosion in the future.

I own a number of pieces of, heavy equipment. Including a dozer (did have 3). If you decide to purchase a dozer, be sure you check it closely. A major problem on big iron, can be over looked by an unaware eye. If you are not familiar with what to watch for, then take an unbiased knowledged person with you...even if he charges you a couple of hundred. You will be thankful that you did, down the road. You can buy a good machine, take all the time you want to do your work, then sell it, and get your money back (or most of it). Might even make a buck or two. You end up with a less expensive, completed excavation project but, don't let me mislead you. Be sure you can operate a dozer, and understand the danger's envolved with doing so, plus prepared for major repairs (should any occur).

For the record...the three dozer's I have owned were: a John Deere -BAD CHOICE-! (3 engines and 2 tranny's 13,600.00) in 3 years operation. A Cat D-5 Good machine -Very Expensive to Repair- (final drive's are not strong enough for the torque that is put on them 11,300.00 both fianls) in 2 years operation, and a Fiat Allis 10-B -Best I have owned, and slightly less expensive than Cat to repair- (spun a dead axle on left bank, wasted all the out board bearings and one inboard in the process 3950.00) over 4 years of operation.

Best of luck with whatever you do./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Cowboy
BigBoyz Toyz

/ Pile of Fill #4  
Cowboy I've got a question for you. When I see dozers for sale they say undercarrage 80%--what does that mean? I have no plans to buy a dozer just curious about how they rate them. At times I would love to have a nice trachoe but I don't see one in the close future./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gifThanks
Gordon

/ Pile of Fill
Thanks Cowboy and Mark. I hope I have good instinct for picking the right spots for my compact and letting somebody with the right equipment do the rest.

'Unstable' is a good word to describe the pile, and I did recognize the danger in working on it. When I thought about doing it with the compact, I realized that I faced a near vertical wall more than 10' high from the bottom of the hole. 'No,' says I, 'Don't think I really want to go into the hole and pull material off from the bottom with a box scraper.' I thought about pulling down stuff off closer to the top with the hoe, but I'd still have to get really close to the pile. I'd also reduce the working area on top of the pile.

I thought about working from the top. At 5' above ground level, I'd still have to go up on the pile, because I couldn't push a big enough bite with the bx blade rear cutter in one pass to make a comfortable working slope. And, I'd still have to push material off the top by putting the rear wheels close to a steep unstable slope.

Sizing up 'how to do a job' seems like a very important skill, and one that comes after basic operating skills are in hand. I'm just happy to have this board here to bounce ideas around. Maybe I'll get through this period of having some operating skills but not necessarily such good sense in how to use them.

If there's a dozer in my future, the guy who did the job would likely help me out. There aren't too many people with heavy equipment around, and he's not exactly looking for work.

/ Pile of Fill #6  
Gordon,

I, will do my best to answer your question about, what does undercarriage mean....the undercarriage ( U.C.) or (Bottom) is refering to, the condition of the running gear of the machine (if you will). It includes, rails, sprockets, idlers, rollers, pads, pins, bushings and so on. The percentage figure that usually associates with the word U.C. is most commonly, some guys guesstimate of, how much of the U.C. is remaining (useable). Those figure's are not, easily guesstimated. I prefer to use...poor, fair, and good. Depending on the amount of regular use, a U.C. in fair condition could last many years. Rebuilding these things can start at, 5000.00 per side and up, (depending on dozer brand, size, parts availabilty, OEM, after market or used, and labor costs).

and Glad you asked. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Cowboy
BigBoyz Toyz

/ Pile of Fill #7  
Cowboy, what modle of JD dozer did you have,350, 450, ect.???? May be looking for a deal this winter and there is alot of equ. up here [logging ect.] and these guys go in and out of bus. alot so you can find some deals when they have to raise some cash. I sure don't want to get one like you had!!!! Last yr. I had to put a new set of chains and sprockets on my case 350 with a loader that was around $3500.00 and this is just a little mach. buckets only 3/4 yd. and 60" wide, but sure is handy.
Rich

/ Pile of Fill #8  
I don't know if it was a Case 350 or a JD 350 I saw once but it was a tiny (for "real" equipment) had a 4 in 1 bucket on the front and a backhoe. Didn't follow up on it and never found one again. I could have really used that thing over the years.

/ Pile of Fill #9  
richh,

The John Deere I had was, a 450-C but, turned out to be a 450-B. The intended use for the small Deere was, finish and clean up work. It didnt do much of either. Maybe I had a rare Deere but, I wouldnt buy another one to find out.

Cowboy

/ Pile of Fill #10  
This is not good. Theres a JD dealer just 2 doors down from my store, just had them replace the seals in a hyd. cyl off the 350 case. The most poplar dozer's around here are JD. and I have been looking at the 350's and the 450's want somthing small for the woods. In fact they have a older 350 with a 78" 6 way blade sitting their now took a look today. Don't know what to do now.