Best Track Skid Steer Under 7,500 lbs?

/ Best Track Skid Steer Under 7,500 lbs?
jpm said:
dougster;have you thougt about a chinese bulldozer? its differant machine from a ss but it may fit your needs.if you look in the chinese tracktor forum there it a member call bob rocks that is doing something like your trying
I have actually considered them. Even bid on a couple... though not too seriously! It's an interesting alternative... and I was outbid on one job by a small dozer company... but for now I still believe a 7,500 lb class track skid steer offers a bit more value and flexibility. :)

Dougster

shvl73 said:
Dougster, have you thought of a power-trac? I know its not a tracked machine but, they are extremely manueverable, from what I've read here. I think there is a rental store with one in the Saugus-Danvers area.
They are clearly very interesting machines. I have not ruled them out entirely, but they are soooooooo expensive compared to a used track skid steer. It's a simple matter of supply and demand. The world is flooded with used skid steer equipment in every size and type. Power-tracs are still relatively rare beasts. And whatever I buy... there is no question: it will have to be used.

Dougster

shvl73 said:
Check out this page: Used Power Tracs

I was wrong, the rental store is in Sudbury:Power Trac - Multi Attachment Tractor

Looks like they're selling it:Used Rental Equipment For Sale by Sudbury Taylor Rental - Sudbury, Massachusetts

I would guess they might be buying another or have more than one, since they are keeping most attachments.
Very interesting... especially that used one at Sudbury Rentals. I may stop by there later today and have a look! :) I must admit that I focused mainly on their TSM model when I was looking at them way back when. Sounds like that used one is a PT-425. The trick on these, of course, is all in the attachments. I think they'd actually give you the vehicle itself for free... just to get you to spend a King's ransom on the attachments!!! :D

Dougster

/ Best Track Skid Steer Under 7,500 lbs? #35  
It certainly worth looking at. my thought was, you have a larger machine for the bigger tasks, maybe a smaller versatile machine would help fill a niche. It certainly has maneuverability and its easy on turf. I'll bet its better on slopes too. Easy to haul as well.

shvl73 said:
It certainly worth looking at. my thought was, you have a larger machine for the bigger tasks, maybe a smaller versatile machine would help fill a niche. It certainly has maneuverability and its easy on turf. I'll bet its better on slopes too. Easy to haul as well.
Well, the real issue on this "alternative/backup vehicle" is working steep slopes... raking, grading, bush-hogging, tree & debris removal, etc. But it's not going to be enough just to have a vehicle that can climb the slopes. The vehicle has got to be able to do some serious work once it gets there! :D Along those lines, I'm still thinking that a relatively stable, rubber-tracked skid steer is going to be hard to beat. The other big advantage is that I already own implements that a tracked skid steer can use.

BTW, I am actually bidding on both a CAT 247 and an RC-30 as we speak. That particular 2,000 hour CAT 247 is back on a certain large auction website after the original winner... at $16.9K... backed out. Makes me wonder why as the buyer looked totally legit... but now I've got a second shot at it.

The RC-30 is a former rental down in Florida and only has 500 hours on it. Depending on how high its final price goes, it could also be a decent addition to my stable. :)

Dougster

/ Best Track Skid Steer Under 7,500 lbs? #38  
I have a 277B Cat tracked skid steer, mine weighs more than 7500 pounds, you might want to look a Cat tracked skid steer. I have one of there 307 mini-excavators also and I am very pleased with both machines.:D

/ Best Track Skid Steer Under 7,500 lbs? #39  
i was in a similar situation and ended up buying a toro dingo tx 425. i got mine slightly used from the dealer for around 10,000. i was all set to buy an asv rc30 when i found out about their hydraulic system. it seems to not have the power of the walk behind units. also their attachment plate will need an adapter to run dingo sized attachments. again when running these attachments it will be at a lower pressure so performance may be effected. i also like the idea that if it gets away on a hill i can let it go instead of ride it down. sometimes it will go on the front of the trailer with the backhoe when i need both pieces. the light weight allows this better.
good luck with your shopping.

buffalohunter said:
I have a 277B Cat tracked skid steer, mine weighs more than 7500 pounds, you might want to look a Cat tracked skid steer. I have one of there 307 mini-excavators also and I am very pleased with both machines.:D
Hi Harold - I am definitely considering the CATs... at least the Model 247 (see my last post above). Looks like I am going to lose that one clean machine that reappeared on eBay. :eek: Looks like there is a new bidder there willing to pay almost anything to get that particular machine. :(

No way I can compete with my thin wallet against a really determined bidder. :eek:

Dougster