Skid Steer will they be around in the future ?

/ Skid Steer will they be around in the future ? #1  

davidseaquist

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Ingersoll Rand Bl370b
Bobcat really pushed the skid steer, as the do all piece of equipment for the construction site ! They developed all kinds of attachments for it ! Many manufacturers followed them into skid steer manufacturing. They dominate the American Construction market. They tried to push the idea that it was superior to a loader backhoe. Now they are abandoning the compact construction equipment. I know the skid steer does a lot of applications well. Is it the best choice for most construction site applications ? Or the small Equipment contractor? If not what do you think. If you could replace your Skid Steer what would you replace it with. Skid Steers have been around since the 1970's what was used before the skid steer ? What will we use after the skid steer? David

/ Skid Steer will they be around in the future ? #2  
CTL's (compact track loaders) take the better parts of both worlds and it put it in one package. Small package, tight turning radius, low ground pressure, etc.

Now, where can I get one that weighs under 10,00lbs wet, can lift and load 7500 lbs up to 21 feet and never needs maintenance or repairs? :) Oh yeah, it needs to be a fuel sipper too!

/ Skid Steer will they be around in the future ? #3  
Well, if I could predict the future, I wouldn't be working...

However, seeing what the Power Tracs can do in a light commercial and/or consumer machine, I'd like to see more innovation, refinement and development of these smaller aticulated loaders. Something between the Gehl Advantage and these, perhaps...

Picture these size machines (this Yanmar is 6750 lbs) or slightly smaller, with standard Quick Attach and a hydraulic front PTO, for example... I don't know if has either feature, in reality, though.

front.jpg

back.jpg

Yanmar America Corporation - Wheel Loaders - V3-5A and V4-5A

Here's the Kubota version:

Kubota Tractor Corporation - R420s/R520s Wheel Loaders

Maneuverable, versatile, and since they're articulated they do essentially ZERO turf damage in comparsion to a normal skid-steer, whether tracked or wheeled....

/ Skid Steer will they be around in the future ? #4  
KentT said:
However, seeing what the Power Tracs can do in a light commercial and/or consumer machine,
Maneuverable, versatile, and since they're articulated they do essentially ZERO turf damage in comparsion to a normal skid-steer, whether tracked or wheeled....

Power-Trac's are, from what you guys write about them, pretty impressive.

On the second thing, is that true if you make an oscillated turn while sitting still?

/ Skid Steer will they be around in the future ? #5  
tlbuser said:
On the second thing, is that true if you make an oscillated turn while sitting still?

Yes, the wheels freely roll when the tractor articulates -- the steering isn't done with traction, either pushing or pulling. It's done by bending the machine in the middle while the tires roll freely to wherever this bending takes them....

I'm sure that if you sat in the same place and kept articulating back and forth several times, you'd get some scuffing, but I've never noticed any damage sitting still, articulating, with R-1s....

Oscillation is actually the front wheels on one plane, the machine twisted in the middle, and the back wheels on another plane. Power Tracs can oscillate 12 degrees in either direction. This keeps all four wheels planted firmly on the ground almost all the time. In fact, I don't recall ever having my machine in a position where all four weren't on the ground -- unless I'd lifted the rear end in the air with the strength of the hydraulics, typically while articulated -- i.e. what we PT owners call the PT pucker...

/ Skid Steer will they be around in the future ? #6  
Skid steers won't be replaced, they are too popular in today's construction industry. If the actual skids were replaced they'd be replaced by a compact track loader... but even them guys who run the daily have there reservations with tracked machines: tracks are more expensive to replace, concrete and pavement is very hard on them, machine weight.

/ Skid Steer will they be around in the future ? #7  
Skid steer loaders are great...for some things. Skid steer loaders have many limitations, but remember, there are over 50,000 of these machines produced per year (I don't have recent data, but I think the number is closer to 70,000). That means that there are over 50,000 seperate buying decisions that are being made by intelligent people who think that a skid steer loader is their best option.

Rubber-tracked skid steer loaders are great...for some things.

Wheel loaders are great...for some things.

There is no perfect machine and there never will be. The better mousetrap is yet to come. Machinery offerings will continue to evolve. But back to the original point...ten years in the future, you will still be able to buy a wheeled skid steer loader. That segment of the market isn't going anywhere fast.

/ Skid Steer will they be around in the future ?
Is a skid steer fuel efficient ?

They are loud !

Not comfortable to run.

They have a lot of horse power for their size

They operate at high rpm

A full size tlb runs quieter and at lower rpm

How many of your jobs require a small compact skid steer

Would a full size 80 hp tlb work more efficiently than an 80 hp skid steer ?

Wouldn't the fuel efficiency be as good or better on the tlb.?

Would the maintance be higher on the skid steer or a tlb ?

The lofting capacity would be dlb for the tlb, the reach would be greater, the backhoe would be superior to a skid steer.

I know the full size tlb weighs twice as much as a skid steer and it is not as maneuverable.

With a skid steer you can haul it around with a pickup with a full size tlb you generally need something bigger.

/ Skid Steer will they be around in the future ? #9  
I believe it will be the rubber track machines, built from the ground up, with tire like rides that will prevail in the current market. They have greater stability, lighter foot prints and better go everywhere traction.

jmf

/ Skid Steer will they be around in the future ? #10  
davidseaquist said:
Is a skid steer fuel efficient ?

They are loud !

Not comfortable to run.

They have a lot of horse power for their size

They operate at high rpm

A full size tlb runs quieter and at lower rpm

How many of your jobs require a small compact skid steer

Would a full size 80 hp tlb work more efficiently than an 80 hp skid steer ?

Wouldn't the fuel efficiency be as good or better on the tlb.?

Would the maintance be higher on the skid steer or a tlb ?

The lofting capacity would be dlb for the tlb, the reach would be greater, the backhoe would be superior to a skid steer.

I know the full size tlb weighs twice as much as a skid steer and it is not as maneuverable.

With a skid steer you can haul it around with a pickup with a full size tlb you generally need something bigger.

Comparing fuel efficeincy to what? A skid vs. a TLB? Two totally different types of machines.

Skids run at high rpms because of the hydraulics, everything is hydraulic. I've never known of very many backhoes (fullsize ones) that operate at idle. I don't really know that skids operate at higher RPMS than backhoes but they are louder, shorter exhaust stacks usually and the hydraulic pumps are all external and louder.

A decent sized skidloader will run circles around a bakhoe doing dirt work with a bucket. They can't dig a trench and in mud a backhoe will have an advantage over a skidloader but for general excavation dirt work a skid holds the championship title by far.

Lifting height of a lot of skid loaders will be able to load a dumptruck, some won't but all your bigger ones in comparable HP to a full size backhoe can load most any dump truck or semi trailer and have a very large operating capacity.

Each has their use and each os an excellent machone but you cannot replace either with the other.