MOWING WITH COMPACT TRACK LOADER

/ MOWING WITH COMPACT TRACK LOADER #1  

thirdcoaster

Tractor
Kubota M6040 2wd Cab, Gehl CTL55
I like this forum, and have gotten a lot of good info from it. I am considering purchasing either an ASV RC-30 or RC-50 soon. I have test driven both at the local dealer's lot (bucket demo only). My question(s) for you guys is: who is mowing with this type machine, how much are you mowing, what size and type mower are you using, and how slow or quick is it compared to a compact tractor and PTO rotary cutter? I have 8 acres of field grass horse pasture that I mow 3 or 4 times annually to remove tall grass and woody material. Otherwise mowing would be limited to ditches and barn areas where I don't want to take my zero-turn, but want mowed on a regular basis. If either of these machines can take care of my rough mowing needs, I will sell the JD 2155 and 6' bush hog that I keep just for the rough mowing. One less machine to keep up with would be nice. Thanks for any input.

Brian

/ MOWING WITH COMPACT TRACK LOADER #2  
It would be more effiecient to keep mowing with your JD. 8 acre isn't enough to ever payback the 4-6K pricetag of a skid rotary. Around here guys get $40-$50 per hour to bushhog/mow with a 110hp gearbox bushhog. If its been kept up I would find someone to cut it for $800 per year v/s the initial investment. Atleast until you get used to your skid. When you get it try simulating the 8 acres just for the seat time and I think you would be supprised at how much better a pto tractor is suited for the field mowing tasks.
Another thing to take into consideration is the amount of dust, dirt, grass clipping etc that could easily get into the turbo/airstream and drasticaly reduce the life of a small skid.
But then again, if money is no option....have fun on what you want to operate!

/ MOWING WITH COMPACT TRACK LOADER #3  
I have an Asv Rc-30, and a bush hog mower, that I made for it. As others have stated, for wide open area mowing, on a regular basis, a tractor and a large bush hog is more efficient. That being said, the Rc-30 and a 4' bush-hog is a land clearing multiflora rose eating, rough ground loving little beast. I just cleared an acre of 2 years growth in about 2 hours. I was mowing down 20' tall saplings about 1-2" in diameter, along with blackberries, Virginia creeper vines, MF roses etc. One of the advantages to this type setup is that you can start at the top of the brush, and set the mower down into it, letting you see what you are getting into. I've found old cars, and farm equipment this way, without doing any damage to my equipment or the antiques. As far as dust filtration goes, the asv air filter is in the back, top of the machine, far back from the dust of mowing.:D :D

/ MOWING WITH COMPACT TRACK LOADER #4  
far back from the dust of mowing?

...never mind. Happy Mowing !

/ MOWING WITH COMPACT TRACK LOADER
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I was less than clear in my original query. The CTL will be used primarily for uses other than mowing - it will spend most of its life working on our ranches. The dealer has lots of experience with clearing/brushcutting with CTL machines, but no real history with mowing with them, hence my post here.

The financial decision is really a wash. If the CTL can do the mowing at a reasonable pace and with good results, the proceeds of the sale of the JD tractor will more than cover the cost of the skid mower. Furthermore, the maintenance cost of one machine versus two nets more savings.

As far as dust and grass particles go, all modern diesel equipment has quality air filtration, so that is a non-issue.

I just want to know, before I order the mower, if anyone has any real experience mowing pasture grass with a skid or CTL, and what the results are.

Thanks,
Brian

/ MOWING WITH COMPACT TRACK LOADER #6  
thirdcoaster said:
As far as dust and grass particles go, all modern diesel equipment has quality air filtration, so that is a non-issue.

I just want to know, before I order the mower, if anyone has any real experience mowing pasture grass with a skid or CTL, and what the results are.

I would like to know as well, particular from someone who has used a brushcat on a CTL. BTW, where did hear that air filtration is a non-issue? I am reminded often that turbo diesels are susceptible to particulates and mowing causes some of the worse. I know regular diesels and gas engines are less vulnerable, and the addition of oil bath filters like the ones on Bobcat's that can be added at a cost of $700 are helpful, but I haven't heard that filters are so improved that turbo damage is no longer a concern. Please explain.

jmf

/ MOWING WITH COMPACT TRACK LOADER #8  
Umm YES, I can vouch for vulnerability of DUSTING a Turbo Diesel:mad: ...
Recently , some of you have already heard me whine about this- I was mulching/mowing wide open with my CAT 257 High Flow CTL and smoked the engine due to Dirt and trash entered the turbo inlet side and continued through the engine until the point of running terribly no power and high oil consumption......the inlet pipe aft of the air cleaner came off while running...
Yes they are sensitive to dirt/chips/trash/dust...:( I now stop at 2 hr intervals and blow out radiator/oil cooler and air filter...remove any other branches/leaves/mulch from engine bay dont want any fires:rolleyes:and check all the clamps and pipes for the intake air system including turbo.......:D

/ MOWING WITH COMPACT TRACK LOADER
Hi-jacked in my first thread....oh well.

My father-in-law and I run four ranches. We have a lot of equipment, all of it diesel, much of it turbo'd. We make hay, clear brush, maintain roads, etc., much of which is very dusty. We have had no failures due to lack of air filtration. All but the oldest of our equipment uses an inner/outer filter setup, and we change them with regularity. The intake pipes are clean. Sure, problems will arise if an intake pipe comes loose (meaning NO filtration), but with the filter system intact and maintained well as in our case, so far....no problems.

Now, if Anyone knows anything about mowing pasture grass with a CTL or skid in the 30-50 non-turbo horsepower range, I'm all ears. We have virtually no small equipment, and no experience with CTLs, so I thought you guys might have some useful input.

Thanks,
Brian

/ MOWING WITH COMPACT TRACK LOADER #10  
For mowing pasture you may want to consider a flail mower versus a rotary cutter. I hear it gives a better cut and is better suited for that type mowing. I believe Loftness makes a flail mower that's suited for the RC-50. I'm speaking based on what I've read not "field" experience. I do own an RC-50 but I don't run a brush mower on it. Good luck.