Used Backhoe Prices

/ Used Backhoe Prices #1  

jfh0jfh

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, JD 710, Case 450
I asked for feedback about backhoes (separate thread). This is some info about recent pricing.

Yesterday I went to a Ritchie equipment auction (Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers - Unreserved Equipment Auctions) in Cambridge OH. I went mostly to see values but not to buy - although some of the machines sold I'd tried out at a local dealer so I might have bought one.

Most of the TLBs were new or nearly new Case & New Holland, in the 2005-2007 range, 4x4 w/ cab & extendahoe and ~ 150-200 hours: Case sold for $58-$62K; NH for $33-35K.

I've been looking at 99-01 Cases & NH's ~ w/ in the mid-high $20s eg. Case SL cab, 4x4, ex-hoe 2700 hours $28K; NH same equip & year $26K. The auction results suggest that the used Cases are a much better buy and that I should be down around $20 on an NH.

Dealers I spoke to at the auction said that the "Made in Italy" tag on the NH frame scares people. And that they bring more up North eg. Cleveland OH.

Later I looked at some used equipment incl a Terex (760). This dealer said he could get new Terexes 2005-06 w/ full warranty for $39000 from a distributor in NC. He had sold one and is having some trouble with it - they rely heavily on electronics.

/ Used Backhoe Prices #2  
Your research matches mine fairly closely... Nice to have a reality check...

/ Used Backhoe Prices #3  
jfh0jfh said:
I asked for feedback about backhoes (separate thread). This is some info about recent pricing.

Yesterday I went to a Ritchie equipment auction (Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers - Unreserved Equipment Auctions) in Cambridge OH. I went mostly to see values but not to buy - although some of the machines sold I'd tried out at a local dealer so I might have bought one.

Most of the TLBs were new or nearly new Case & New Holland, in the 2005-2007 range, 4x4 w/ cab & extendahoe and ~ 150-200 hours: Case sold for $58-$62K; NH for $33-35K.

I've been looking at 99-01 Cases & NH's ~ w/ in the mid-high $20s eg. Case SL cab, 4x4, ex-hoe 2700 hours $28K; NH same equip & year $26K. The auction results suggest that the used Cases are a much better buy and that I should be down around $20 on an NH.

Dealers I spoke to at the auction said that the "Made in Italy" tag on the NH frame scares people. And that they bring more up North eg. Cleveland OH.

Later I looked at some used equipment incl a Terex (760). This dealer said he could get new Terexes 2005-06 w/ full warranty for $39000 from a distributor in NC. He had sold one and is having some trouble with it - they rely heavily on electronics.

You're exactly where I was over the winter. I started out looking at spending $30-40K on a 4-5 yr old hoe and ended up buying an '05 for $50K. I spent a lot more, but I got new machine financing (4.25%) a full new machine 3 yr warranty and a complete 1000hr servicing (all fluids, radiator, filters, etc). The bigger payments suck, but it's great having the newer SuperM 4x4 with all the goodies & pilot controls. It's very tempting to let the comfort & convenience & shiny paint make you spend more.

/ Used Backhoe Prices
Builder said:
You're exactly where I was over the winter. I started out looking at spending $30-40K on a 4-5 yr old hoe and ended up buying an '05 for $50K. I spent a lot more, but I got new machine financing (4.25%) a full new machine 3 yr warranty and a complete 1000hr servicing (all fluids, radiator, filters, etc). The bigger payments suck, but it's great having the newer SuperM 4x4 with all the goodies & pilot controls. It's very tempting to let the comfort & convenience & shiny paint make you spend more.

You bought a new SM w/ pilot controls for $50K? Presumably a leftover bought late in the year. It's an incredible price. The 2006 590 SMs Tue were going for $58-$60 w/ ~ 100 hours (I don't klnow the price dif between new 580s & new 590s). $50K is out of my budget but it would make me think.

I'm most tempted right now by the idea of a $30K 2005 New Holland w/ ~ 500 hours. The equivalent Case would be $45 (also beyond my budget). But I think the low NH resale says too much about the machine quality. Ditto Terex.

I'll probably get a 590 SL (~$30K) or Ford 655/ 675 (~$20K)

/ Used Backhoe Prices #5  
jfh0jfh said:
You bought a new SM w/ pilot controls for $50K? Presumably a leftover bought late in the year. It's an incredible price. The 2006 590 SMs Tue were going for $58-$60 w/ ~ 100 hours (I don't klnow the price dif between new 580s & new 590s). $50K is out of my budget but it would make me think.

I'm most tempted right now by the idea of a $30K 2005 New Holland w/ ~ 500 hours. The equivalent Case would be $45 (also beyond my budget). But I think the low NH resale says too much about the machine quality. Ditto Terex.

I'll probably get a 590 SL (~$30K) or Ford 655/ 675 (~$20K)

Yep, I got an '05 580 SuperM 4x4 with ride control, pilot controls, cab, AC, nice seat, am/fm/cd, new front tires, a 3 year drivetrain warranty and a complete 1000 hr servicing for 50K. The I added an FFC quick attach FEL 8' bucket and a set of quick attach FFC 48" 10K pallet forks. I got 4.25% CASE financing for 5 years.

It's a really tough situation you're in right now. There's so many used machines to pick from and you don't know how each one was maintained & treated.

I wouldn't be scared of NH. If you're considering Ford, remember that NH's have a lot of Ford DNA in them. The nice thing about buying a cheaper hoe is that it leaves you lots of $$ left over for repairs & maintenance. I'm relying on my warranty in case I have problems. My biggest problem with NH was they were low on resale value compared to Case/Deere/CAT, they were foreign made, and the dipperstick is a mile in the sky. Those factors may not mean diddly to you, though.

Everyone's got different set of needs. None of them should be considered wrong by anyone else.

/ Used Backhoe Prices #6  
I was looking for a used one and every one I saw was beat to death.

I was going to use sell it and by something smaller I decided to get a new bx23 and rent bigger equipment as needed luckly when I was going to do it there was an excavator working nearby and he did it for $100 an hour.
he did in a day and a half what I would have taken me over a week to do.

tom

/ Used Backhoe Prices
Builder said:
Yep, I got an '05 580 SuperM 4x4 with ride control, pilot controls, cab, AC, nice seat, am/fm/cd, new front tires, a 3 year drivetrain warranty and a complete 1000 hr servicing for 50K. The I added an FFC quick attach FEL 8' bucket and a set of quick attach FFC 48" 10K pallet forks. I got 4.25% CASE financing for 5 years.

It's a really tough situation you're in right now. There's so many used machines to pick from and you don't know how each one was maintained & treated.

I wouldn't be scared of NH. If you're considering Ford, remember that NH's have a lot of Ford DNA in them. The nice thing about buying a cheaper hoe is that it leaves you lots of $$ left over for repairs & maintenance. I'm relying on my warranty in case I have problems. My biggest problem with NH was they were low on resale value compared to Case/Deere/CAT, they were foreign made, and the dipperstick is a mile in the sky. Those factors may not mean diddly to you, though.

Everyone's got different set of needs. None of them should be considered wrong by anyone else.

Thanks for the comments. Nice machine you bought. I'm considering Case, Ford, JD and perhaps JCB - in that order. Ford & JD are about equal except I've found 2 good Fords and no decent JDs yet.

My problem w/ NH is the resale value. If I could steal one I might take a chance but it's not worth it to save a few thousand. If a 1-year-old NH is worth $20K less than an equivalent Case, there's a problem.

There really haven't been that many good machines close by in the $20-$30K range. I bargained hard on a 310G, 610C and 590 SL and lost each of them. There are a couple of more in the wings so we'll see.

/ Used Backhoe Prices
tommu56 said:
I was looking for a used one and every one I saw was beat to death.

I was going to use sell it and by something smaller I decided to get a new bx23 and rent bigger equipment as needed luckly when I was going to do it there was an excavator working nearby and he did it for $100 an hour.
he did in a day and a half what I would have taken me over a week to do.

tom

I've seen some decent ones but I've been looking hard for 2 months. True thugh, most are well worn.

This is for a farm and while renting is OK, it's nice to have somethng on standby.

/ Used Backhoe Prices #9  
I need the price of a used case 580E backhoe in fair condition.