Skid Steer Purchase Advice Needed.

/ Skid Steer Purchase Advice Needed. #1  

Rory_Rhodes

Silver Member
I am getting teady to purchase a used skid steer, just curious on any advice. New Hollands seem to be in abundance, priced within my budget. I have my eye on a LS170 or an LS180, both trades from a rental yard, less then 500 hours on the 170 and 1200 hours on the 180. NH Dealer purchase, original seller to the rental yard, all maintenance has been provided by dealer. The dealer will go throught the unit pre sale forany problems. Tires look good, one (170) has tracks (needed) that are tight on solid tires. Thanks in advance for any advice.

/ Skid Steer Purchase Advice Needed. #2  
My brother has had 2 new holland skids. The first was an Ls160 and now he's got the new L175. We've had no trouble with either of them and they mainly get used for very hard digging. Both the 170 and 180's are good machines but they are 2 different sizes. The 170 is mid sized and the 180 is built on new hollands large chassis so if weight is an issue take that into consideration. I will agree with you that tracks are needed. I think skid loaders without tracks are only half a machine. I've been looking at a couple different peices of equipment to use with our track building company(compact tractors, small dozers, and compact wheel loaders) and I still keep coming back to the skid loaders. There is nothing that has the work speed/efficiency of a skid loader with a good operator. We've also ran bobcats, skat trac, and deere and the new hollands are our favorite.

Last edited:
   / Skid Steer Purchase Advice Needed.
Thanks for the advice, the 180 is about the same price, more hours though. Weight shouldn't be a problem, main use is a horse farm and new house. Some clearing, I believe the 170 is 2000# approximately as a load which should suffice. Grapple, trencher, tiller all will be purchased to use. Rory

/ Skid Steer Purchase Advice Needed. #4  
The 170 is rated at 1765lbs and the 180 is rated at 2200lbs.

/ Skid Steer Purchase Advice Needed. #6  
I would choose bigger all the time if moving it was not an issue.

I always seem to run into stuff where I want just a bit more power.