case 580 k

/ case 580 k #1  

zcolt

I am looking at buying an '89 Case 580 k, are there any known problems or ailments these loader/backhoes have or are known for that I should look for?

/ case 580 k #2  
the farm i worked at had one and we beat it we would pick up rocks so big in the front that we would have to put that one down pick one up in the hoe and go back and pick that one up it would pick up a 20 ft long log about 18 inches in dia and drive around with it we did all kinds of work with it the only major thing i know of that we did was to add belly pans for when we did all the forest work and we had to do some injector pump work also though ours was a prototype that the did all the test on and that so you can judge for yourself

if you do get one i would buy the four in one bucket when you can afford it they are very handy

my .02

/ case 580 k #3  
I had a customer bring in the steering cylinder to be resealed. A steering arm wore through the housing and into the cylinder cap. Ruined the whole cylinder. Might want to give it a look.

/ case 580 k #4  
yes we had to reseal ours also however any seal will wear out over time but i would give it a check also check the play in the front axle pins it you have some one work the bucket to pick the front wheels off the ground and see how much the main frame moves before the axle does this will show you any wear in the pins up there also check all the hoses and cylnders for leaks and such if you have any questions let me know

/ case 580 k #5  
The thing I noticed on the Case's that I looked at was the upper rear pivot point on the loader, many were cracked, and even more welded.

I was told they had fixed that on newer ones, but the older ones (rough) that I was looking at, it seemed to be a pretty common ailment.

/ case 580 k #6  
zcolt said:
I am looking at buying an '89 Case 580 k, are there any known problems or ailments these loader/backhoes have or are known for that I should look for?

Probably the most simple & reliable backhoe series ever built. Not gonna have a lot of bells & whistles, but they're cheap to own & operate because they're simple & reliable.

/ case 580 k
Thank you for all the great input, it was very helpful. If all goes well I will be the proud owner of a 580K in the next week or so. If you have any other comments or suggestions for maintanence, please let me know!

/ case 580 k #8  
I had one for a while. Is the gear shift floor mounted or console mounted? Floor mounted is Phase I and console mounted is Phase III. 1989 is the changeover year, and it could be either model, depending on when it was made.

Phase I is earlier and Phase III is later. Phase I uses separate shuttle shift tranny and rear transmission, and Phase III uses integrated shuttle shift transaxle. They use different transmission fluids, so it is critical on this model that you know which one you have. The Phase III has wet brakes and the other uses dry brakes. Wet brakes probably work better, and last a lot longer, but you don't EVER want to have to replace them. It requires unbolting the transaxle from the tractor, lifting the tractor and completely removing the stub axles.

Personally, I prefer the earlier version. They are the same transmissions used on all prior Case backhoes, starting with the "C". Easy to fix, and many used parts around. The later tranaxles are Italian made, and used on all later models up through the current "L" as far as I know. They work well, but plan on spending big bucks if it ever needs repair.

Other than that, look for cracks in the upper loader pivot arms. These are fairly common, and often welded. They don't seem to cause major problems if not overly abused. Also, look for cracks in the cross brace at the front of the tractor between the loader arms. Not real common in the "K", but very common in the earlier models. With each newer model Case reinforced this area more and more. It is very uncommon to have cracks in the backhoe area, except sometimes at the end of the boom, where the bucket attaches. Earlier versions had various weak points, but with the "K" model, Case introduced the cast steel primary boom, with a single interior cylinder. These things are virtually bullet proof, versus the previous welded steel booms. Look for excessive play in the pivot areas, as this indicates heavy usage or poor maintanence.

It has a very good Cummins engine in it, as Case every model starting with either the "E" (I think) uses this engine instead of the earlier Case engine. It is fuel efficient and starts w/o glow plugs down to below freezing. It is best to plug it in if it gets real cold, though many included ether injection systems to help start them.

Most of these have the Case 4 lever controls, but some had the John Deere 2 lever controls, which mine had and I think are much nicer and easier to use. This was an added cost option.

Is it 4x4? What is the price?

Good luck and happy digging.