Has any experience with 20" tracks in the snow?

/ Has any experience with 20" tracks in the snow? #1  

jmfox

Platinum Member
It's getting colder and I know snow is on the way. My ASV SR80 has low PSI and my experience in the mud is serious lost of traction, so I'm wondering how the wide rubber tracks will perform in the snow. I am told they are useless in icy conditions, but I am hoping it can push a 9 foot snow blade in typical conditions.

jmf

/ Has any experience with 20" tracks in the snow? #2  
If you can clean down to the bare surface on the first pass, you might be ok. Your machine will probably get around ok in the snow, but if you plow and leave that thin layer, your low ground pressure will work against you.

Rubber cutting edge might help you get it done(clean down to bare).

My 2 cents

/ Has any experience with 20" tracks in the snow? #3  
Hi Guys I was talking to my ASV territory man and he said if you take some sheet metal screws and screw them into the tread of any ASV that you will have great traction. He said they have to be short enough not to penetrate into the elastermere (sp?) cords as that would void warranty.

Having said all this, I owuld get it in writing from ASV first just to make sure you won't have any problem.

Maka

/ Has any experience with 20" tracks in the snow?
Maka said:
Hi Guys I was talking to my ASV territory man and he said if you take some sheet metal screws and screw them into the tread

It sounds interesting but I don't think it would be good for finished driveway surfaces.

jmf

/ Has any experience with 20" tracks in the snow? #5  
I did a limited trial of the sheet metal screws....either I didn't use beffy enough ones or something else, but they didn't last too long. ASV did have some softer tracks with taller treads but I was told by the ASV service guy not to try them on a 4810 because the machine was too heavy and would destroy the tracks...so I once in a while have to use some rock salt/snow melt to break up the sections that get too polished from repeated compaction...but thats mostly from sorting logs on the log landing (I've never done serious snow removal with the ASV)

-tmts

/ Has any experience with 20" tracks in the snow? #6  
In dry, hard snow my RC-30 has excellent traction, yet still floats on top of drifts. Psi on mine is about 2.5 or so they say, I think the tracks are 12" wide. I wouldn't want to take it out on deep slush, would worry, if the bucket hadn't cleared, it'd sink down and bog in. Last Feb's ice storm, trying to break a path through near barn, on a gravel hill, made the mistake of tryin to stop short on ice, slid darn near all the way down the hill, the only way to stop was to put the bucket down and dig in, machine did a 180, but remained upright, at least
.:D

/ Has any experience with 20" tracks in the snow? #7  
I've done a fair amount of snow removal with my RC50 here in Wisconsin with pretty good results. it doesn't do well on ice but it is much better than any of the nonsuspension tracked machines. I have heard that ASV released a new agressive tread for their RC50/60 machines that performs better in snow and mud conditions.

/ Has any experience with 20" tracks in the snow?
I talked to the local rep today and although his job is to promote ASV, he said, without hesitation and with much enthusiasm, that the SR80 is the best for snow removal. He's from Minnesota so I guess it's worth a try with my 4-in-1 before I invest in a snow plow. I'll probably still plow with my Polaris Ranger as I believe it will be easier on the blacktop, but if I get cold and the snow gets deep I'll be in the heater cab of the ASV.

jmf

/ Has any experience with 20" tracks in the snow? #9  
I have a T-300 Bobcat, it has 18 inch tracks, have never had any problems in the snow.

/ Has any experience with 20" tracks in the snow? #10  
Can any of you asv sr 80 owners give me a price check. I'm looking at mp1
cab configuration and 20 inch tracks. I need heat but don't need a/c. I just need a close level so I feel I'm not way off base. Thanks in advance.: