Platinum Member EquipmentJunkie's Avatar
    Tractor
    Ford 1520

Default Terex to aquire ASV

Diesel Progress magazine posted this news release this morning:

Diesel Progress Online | Industry News Detail

I didn't see this one coming.
    If it has wheels and an engine, you have my attention.

Veteran Member
    Moyie Springs, Idaho and Kalispell, Montana
    Tractor
    Lots of them, I'm a dealer

Default Re: Terex to aquire ASV

Great buy for Terex. Consider they lost purchasing Bobcat at a cheap 4.9 billion to Doosan but got ASV for a deal at 488 million.

Maka

Platinum Member

I wonder if Terex is after the suspension? That's why Cat invested in ASV. No doubt there will be a new motor for the ASV line.

jmf

[QUOTE=jmfox]I wonder if Terex is after the suspension? That's why Cat invested in ASV. No doubt there will be a new motor for the ASV line.

Terex is a publicly traded company that is concerned with growth to satisfy it's shareholders, nothing more. They've been gobbling up companies for the last few years. This is a sad day for ASV. We've consistantly seen the quality of Terex acquired brands decline. Examples that I have personal experience with are Fuchs and Genie. I'm now concerned with the future of SHM with it's recent acquisition.

Veteran Member

I also don't think ASV had a choice. Dealers have been dumping ASV dealerships all over the country - three dumped ASV in Souther Ca.

They can't compete with CAT's Service.

I went back and forth for a year, Cat - ASV, Cat , ASV, and finally after not feeling good about ASV service ( around here anyway) I had to go CAT, and I have to say I couldn't be happier. And yes it does boil down to service for me.

When I needed a lube service they sent down a 250K service truck with every filter, lube etc. on the rig, and serviced me in the field, and was in and out in a couple of hours. With ASV I would of had to travel a couple of hours each way, leave it, and return a few days later, not for me.

I feel I got the best of both worlds, CAT service and ASV under carriage.

Tractor
    Timber King TK711

I have to say the same about the dealers around here, I think they have to set territories so the dealers don't have to worry about a dealer in another state selling at just above wholesale.

We do have a bigger Volvo dealer picking up the line, that will have on the road service and a good service department. A real dealership not a lawn mower dealer selling heavy equipment.
    Ted
    2002 Timber King TK711 - Quadco 5660
    2000 Timberjack 608S - Waratah 622
    2012 Komatsu PC160 LC8- Denis Cimaf 125D
    2006 Timberpro 810F - Rotobec Grapple/Saw
    2008 Supertrak 140 CTL-C - FAE Mulch head
    2012 John Deere 332D - Dymax 14" Timberwolf tree shear - Fecon Bull Hog - Davco BC705HS - Ammbusher DL66 - Bradco 72" Brush Cutter - Bradco Root Rake Grapple
    2008 New Holland T5070 - Bush Hog 2715L

TR Landworks, LLC

Veteran Member

"a lawn mower dealer selling heavy equipment."...that's what I kept finding, ASV dealerships darn near out of a guys garage, six moths later he was gone. Good thing I didn't buy from him.

I even sent a huge letter to ASV because I wanted to buy from them, and was getting nothing but uneducated dealers in So. Ca. They put the regional guy on it who put me in touch with a dealer 200 miles away, and at the time there was no closed cab with sir in all of Ca. to test drive or even look at.

I said to both of them - how do you expect to sell your product if no one can touch and feel it? Fell on deaf ears, even though I said, listen I'm trying hard, VERY hard to spend 60K with you, and you don't have a unit to test drive.

Next day the CAT people delivered one to me - cab, air to test drive...where do I sign.

From reading on the Net it seemed like ASV was the way to go, but I have to say, I don't know what I would do to improve on the CAT. It has done things that amaze me, and begs for more.
    Last edited by Cat_Driver; 01-16-2008 at 08:32 PM.