Hauling in dump trailers

/ Hauling in dump trailers #1  

Botabill

Platinum Member
I was wondering if anyone has had experience hauling machines in dump trailers. I have a small (2 ton) excavator and I was wondering if I can haul it in in a 6 X 10 foot dump trailer. The dump trailer has ramps and the trailer sales guy says I can but I don't always trust sale guys. I don't plan to do this on a daily basis.

/ Hauling in dump trailers #2  
I don't see any reason why it can't be hauled in the dump trailer as long as it can fit inside and can handle the weight. No different than any other trailer. I assume you have tie downs inside of the trailer. I occassionally haul my Bobcat S300 (close to 9K with bucket) in my 14K dump trailer- no problems.

Last edited:
   / Hauling in dump trailers #3  
Is it a 6x10 dump trailer or tilt bed? Is it a single or dual axel? Check the load rating. 4,000 pounds may be too heavy. Get the weight distributed qith 10% or so on the toung.

/ Hauling in dump trailers
Racer71 said:
Is it a 6x10 dump trailer or tilt bed? Is it a single or dual axel? Check the load rating. 4,000 pounds may be too heavy. Get the weight distributed qith 10% or so on the toung.

It is a dump trailer and has a load rating of 7000 pounds. Weight should be good. I will make sure the ramps are propped up to avoid lifting the truck. It does have tie down rings. I was more concerned about getting the excavator up the ramps. Will a small excavator go up a 7 foot ramp? Also 10 feet is pretty short so the bucket may have to hang over somehow. Is that something to be concerned about?

/ Hauling in dump trailers #5  
You should be fine. It will go up the ramp. Be careful at the top when it goes over center.

/ Hauling in dump trailers #6  
Botabill said:
It is a dump trailer and has a load rating of 7000 pounds. Weight should be good. I will make sure the ramps are propped up to avoid lifting the truck. It does have tie down rings. I was more concerned about getting the excavator up the ramps. Will a small excavator go up a 7 foot ramp? Also 10 feet is pretty short so the bucket may have to hang over somehow. Is that something to be concerned about?
If possible, you may want to hang the bucket out the front in between the tongue - if you have room. Small excavator will probably have room over the front. Your weight distribution will probably be better with the bucket over the front. On my CUT, the FEL bucket hangs over the back of my 14' dump trailer. I don't hang it over the front because I am afraid I may turn to sharp and hit the pick up due to the width of the bucket.
I don't think your excavator has enough weight to lift the back of the truck when loader. My 9K skid steer doesn't. The front of the dump trailer will lift up slightly as you load. This is not an issue as long as you have 2 way dump cylinder to hold the bed down. If the ramps are to steep to load, you can lift up the bed about 2'. This will lower the back of the trailer and make the ramps less steep. Lower the trailer once your loaded.

/ Hauling in dump trailers #7  
I haul my BX24 in a 6x12 dump trailer frequently. The backhoe bucket I hang over the tailgate and the FEL rests on a 2x4 bolted to the box top lip so I don't tear up the trailer or the FEL. Of course the machine is secured to tiedown rings welded in the inside lower corners of the dump box.
Only problem I have is I wish my ramps were longer as the backhoe pivot area gouges a strip in the yard when I load unload it....:(

/ Hauling in dump trailers #8  
Done all the time around here. I also had a custom dump trailer made with extra D rings recessed in the floor.

A great way to kill two birds with one stone. You can haul the equipment out to the site, take a load or two to the dump, then haul it back home. it's a great combo.

I did see a trailer maker who makes a convertible trailer. You can convert the trailer from a stake bed, flat bed, dump etc all by changing the body on the trailer.

/ Hauling in dump trailers #9  
I have a 7X12 dump i use it to haul my tc40 with loader and box blade. It hangs out the rear some. You need to make sure if it does not have floor supports that run the length of the trailer you add some. Mine was designed to be a dump and skid steer hauler the main supports, all 4 of them run the length of the bed. If it has supports that run side to side it will bow down between each support.

I only haul the tractor in the dump when I have to do a job that I need to go and pick-up material for, otherwise I use the deck over 20 foot trailer.

I will take some pics today as I will be hauling some gravel.

Jeff

/ Hauling in dump trailers #10  
We haul skid loaders in our 7x12 dumper all the time. The trailer came with ramps and D-ring welded to the floor in each corner so it's easy to load the machines and then chain them down. The only drawback to hauling with our dumper is the added weight of the trailer itself compared to our flat bed trailer.
truckktmskid001.jpg

truckktmskid002.jpg