ASV RC100 problem

/ ASV RC100 problem #1  

masalser

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5510, Kubota HST 3010, ASV RC100 tracked skidsteer, Bobcat 435 excavator, Howard Price 15' finish mower, Kubota ZD331 mower, Woodmizer LT40 super hydraulic sawmill
I've been reading all the posts about ASV equipment on this board and thought I should post about my experience. I've had an RC100 for a couple of years on our horse farm, and the machine is just about to hit 700 hours. I love what the machine can do, but that said, I wanted to relate my experience with a service bulletin problem that cause a huge amount of damage to my machine and to find out whether any other users have had similar problems.

The service bulletin was issued in April of 2005 and has to do with a rear torsion axle problem on some RC100s and RC85s. Because my dealer supplied ASV with my delivery address rather than my mailing address I never got any information from ASV, and because my dealer was incompetent they never notified me of the problem in the numerous times that I had my machine into them for repairs or fluid changes.

The end result was that the torsion axle cracked completely free in the back of the machine. My first indication was a large streak of oil on the ground because the axle had finally smashed through the oil pan of the engine. I took the machine in and, after fighting with the dealer got an agreement where we split the cost three ways among ASV, my dealer, and myself. However, the story doesn't end there because right before I got my machine back they noticed cracks in the track assembly (the metal part that holds all of the idler wheels). They ground and welded them but, after about 15 hours of mild work the welds had cracked through and the face plate of the track assembly had cracked as well. So, my machine is in at the same dealer, and I am waiting to hear what kind of deal they can offer me. The last time they had my machine for about 6 weeks. At this point I don't particularly trust their fixes of anything and am contemplating trading the machine in for a new one so that I can reliably get some work done.

I have to say that, aside from this major problem, I love my machine and haven't figured out another machine that would suit my needs better. Over the years I've had a few problems like a cracked quick attach plate and a loose drive roller bolt that ended up chewing up the drive roller support rings, but overall it's been an incredibly useful machine.

That said, what are other people's experiences? Anyone else experience the torsion axle problem? Anyone else ever cracked their track assembly? And finally, anyone know how significant the changes are in the PT100 as compared to the RC100 (I don't particularly care about gauges and such, but want to know about the significance of the track system changes)?

By the way when I asked people at ASV if their was any way that I could have found out about the service bulletin they said, "It's on our website." But, when I pushed them on it further they admitted that it was on the dealer side of their website where us mere mortals, I mean customers, can't see it.

/ ASV RC100 problem #2  
I have an sr80 and it was service bulletin# 13 that required a new front axle because of the possibility of inferior welds. The bulletin for the sr80 was a dealer bulletin, not a customer bulletin. I only found out when I complained that the machine seemed a little tilted as it sat on my barn floor. When the dealer changed the front, they noticed that the rear axles were also affected and both were changed. My machine was under warranty and ASV was very responsive, so I'm wondering if the problem you are having is being out of warranty. Are you sure that the bulletin for your RC100 was an owner/customer bulletin?

jmf

Last edited:
   / ASV RC100 problem #3  
First of all, when I worked selling Bobcats the dealer got all of the service bulletins and not the customer. Usually the service bulleting would alert the dealer of all the machine serial numbers that were affected. A good dealer then notifies the customers about the bulletin. I guess a manufacturer wouldn't want all of their service bulletins posted for customers for competitive reasons.

I have heard the the PT100 now uses metal face seals on the fron and reat idlers and that the undercarriage frame is more rigid to prevent any cracking, especially in brush cutting applications.

/ ASV RC100 problem #4  
I once received a bulletin concerning weakness in the frame around the axles
(I think). Anyway, it recommended for the dealer to weld gussets in place to give it the necessary strength. It did not affect my '06 RC100, so I did not need the work done.

I have been very well pleased with ASV's customer support. Maybe some problems are the fault of the local dealers and not ASV themselves.

/ ASV RC100 problem
I've attached the service bulletin that I got from ASV after I contacted them regarding the problem. This is apparently the service bulletin that all dealers received back in 2005. I agree with rutwad that the problems I've had are a result of the dealer and not ASV. My guess is that since on the new PT100 they have strengthened the track assembly, they probably were having some issues, but I think overall the machines are quite good. If I had great dealer support I would probably be ecstatic about their products.

Since my original post I have spoken with the owner of the dealership. He hasn't yet found out what kind of a trade-in offer they could make me, but he has spoken to ASV and gotten them to commit to pay for 50% of a completely new track assembly, and he agreed to cover the rest (I haven't yet found out if "the rest" includes the labor of installation). Right now I am feeling much better about the dealer - I think I got stuck with an idiot salesman and that the rest of the people at the dealer are reasonable.

I have attached the service bulletin so that anyone else can check their serial numbers and make sure their machine wasn't affected. Also, I would love to hear more of people's experiences with ASV equipment (good and bad) and would especially like to hear from anyone who knows something about the PT100.

Last edited:
   / ASV RC100 problem #6  
Masalser,
Thank you very much for your post. You have saved me a great deal of expense. I have a 04' RC85 that I bought used from a Dealer with about 775 hrs on it. This machine was his rental unit and was in good condition. Long story short, due to health reasons, the dealer sold out, and as of yet, no one has picked up the ASV dealership in Maine as of yet. Anyway, I was surfing for any tips fixing a dented oil pan and ran across your post on the Service Bulletin. My ASV is affectd, and when I looked at te rear axle housing, it was cracked. I am in the process of repairing it now and hopefully will have it together shortly. Here on my farm in Maine, the ASV is used daily. Thanks again for your post.

/ ASV RC100 problem #7  
I ALSO HAVE A RC 100 WITH THE FULL FORESTRY PACKAGE AND I ALSO NOTICED A BAD OIL LEAK AND AFTER REMOVING THE REAR BELLY PAN I SAW A FRAME CROSS MEMBER PUSHED INTO SHALLOW END OF THE OIL PAN.NOW WHAT DO I DO...:mad:

/ ASV RC100 problem #8  
On a different subject, I have a RC100 that has a problem with the " float " function.... With key on and engine off the right joystick will stay in the full forward / Float position, but with the engine running it won't.... Any suggestions ?????

/ ASV RC100 problem #9  
call the nearest ASV dealer as you have a frame problem UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ ASV RC100 problem #10  
It sounds like you have a bad gimbal control that will misbehave and continue
misbehave until it is repaired by replacement.

What fails are the springs in the gimbals that maintain pressure against the control surfaces
and the other springs are pushing back further as one or two springs are broken.

Can you buy a high floatation swamp track system for the ASV's?