TimberAx Knives

/ TimberAx Knives #1  

Tony Puckett

Tractor
ASV RC 100
I was wondering what the folks who run the TimberAx head do to sharpen their knives. There has to be a better way than what I am using. I touch mine up two or three times on the machine with a side grinder and then take them off to sharpen and reset the angle. I cannot find a machine shop in the area that will do them for what I consider an affordable price ($450.00 to mill 12 -9" and 2- 4" knives). I currently use a 12" table top disk sander with a 40 grit disk and the table set to the correct angle. I keep them cool with a bucket of water so as not to over heat them. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes per blade to get them sharp at the correct angle. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

As the knives have gotten older they don't stay sharp as long. Has anyone had any experience re-hardening the blades, or case hardening the flat side of the blade so as to make them self sharpening. Years ago my dad and granddad used to case harden the flat sides of rotary mower blades, plow points, etc. to make the blades self sharpening. They used a case hardening powder.

I do have two sets of knives so I can operate during the day and sharpen at night.

/ TimberAx Knives #2  
Grinding is an expensive operation. Dressing and diamond wheels, coolant, and grinding stones aren't free and the machines themselves can be really freakin expensive, depending on what kind of grinder.

/ TimberAx Knives
I looked at the link for the grinder you posted. I have never seen a grinder like that. Have you used one, and how do you hold the angle consistant.

I can't tell what type grinder they are using on the Loftness website.

I will look into different types of grinders.

Tony

/ TimberAx Knives #5  
I never removed my blades for sharpening. I used a 9" craftsmen grinder with a norton 3x disc. They can be bought at Home Depot. You should have a small gauge for the angle.
Also milling them takes off too much material.
Option A, new alloy blades from loftness, they do hold a edge longer
Option B, I know a guy local to me (Mcdonough) who made mine. A whole set for $700.00.

PM me if you need further info.

Robbie

/ TimberAx Knives #6  
Kasenit will case harden most low alloy steel, is that what you were thinking of?

jb

/ TimberAx Knives #8  
7 inch angle grinder with the NORTON 3X disc here.ps-thanx robbie..I also built a small riser to park the machine on so that im sharpening at chest height or so..Ive found slow speed is better...rotate the head back as to expose your blades as best possible..Flip the chains back and out of the way..Lock the drum with the alignment holes and pin on the left side as you face the front of the head.."Blip" the grinders trigger and move the grinder fast across the face of the blade..I usually "pull" the grinder working from left to right..Its not as perfect as when they are NEW but they will be sharp and the knives dont really care when they are eating all that wood...as long as you dont grind in one spot too long and change the edges profile...and may create a balance issue...FYI-Your forearms will feel it after doing a set....I seem to get a full day of cutting with mine..possibly 2 but all depends on what your into...I like to run a day and touch em up after for the second day...If i hit rock or wire or bricks ,etc then it takes a bit of cleaning up the edge....

I think it just takes some time and practice...dont think you ever get them perfect.....hope this may help.. DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0001.JPG

/ TimberAx Knives #9  
Tony Puckett said:
I looked at the link for the grinder you posted. I have never seen a grinder like that. Have you used one, and how do you hold the angle consistant.

I can't tell what type grinder they are using on the Loftness website.

I will look into different types of grinders.

Tony

It almost looks like some kind of car paint buffer to me.

/ TimberAx Knives
I will go to Lowe's and see if they have the disk. We don't have a Home Depot in Statesboro. DO they come in different grits? If so what do you use.

thanks,
Tony