Hard starting 555E

/ Hard starting 555E #1  

crewman99

I have a 1999 New Holland 555E backhoe that starts very hard even with a fully charged new battery. The cable connections are all tight. :confused:

/ Hard starting 555E #2  
I don't know about that engine in particular, but some of the basics are

Injection Pump timing
Injector pop off pressure and spray pattern
Valve clearance set correctly
Glow plugs working (or thermostart)
Air filter clean
Fuel filter clean
Fuel lines all tight from tank to injectors

Then you have to worry about compression as low compression will make a diesel hard to start. Many people will just resort to spraying ether and convert an engine that just needs rings, bearings and maybe valves into one that needs a total rebuild.

Hope it's something simple!
jb

/ Hard starting 555E #3  
crewman99 said:
I have a 1999 New Holland 555E backhoe that starts very hard even with a fully charged new battery. The cable connections are all tight. :confused:

Does it turn over slowly or does it turn over normal but not want to run? We have a 555E at work that has had most of the starting system replaced over the years. Give a little more info.

/ Hard starting 555E
It turns over very slow, if you get it to turn over fast it will start right up.

/ Hard starting 555E #5  
Those problems can be a bugger to sort out,

You say all connections are tight, did you take them all apart and clean and reconnect them?

Get the battery tested, and get the starter in too a good rebuild shop to take it apart and eyeball it.

I just danced all over this with the Bobcat, and it is all simple stuff, just takes some time and effort.

I know on my backhoe, I have a "weak" cable on my positive side. But it is such a bugger to change I keep threatening to do it later :D

/ Hard starting 555E #6  
I would start by tracing the ground cable out to make sure it is fastened to the tractor securely. I have had problems with that happening and most of the time it is the ground. Not on the battery but where it attaches to the frame if there is mud, rust, or just loose it causes the same slow start problem. I know on the Case 580k models the battery box can work loose from the frame and cause that, a little angle iron and a welder and she fires right up.

/ Hard starting 555E #7  
That is good info above. Ours has ate several cable ends... even if they are tight and look ok you really need to take them off and inspect them. There is also a master disconnect switch on the right hand side that could cause similar problems.

/ Hard starting 555E #8  
crewman99 said:
It turns over very slow, if you get it to turn over fast it will start right up.

I'd replace the battery cables. Corrosion can get under the insulation and increase resistance. Also, run a ground cable from the battery ground to a bolt on the starter.

/ Hard starting 555E #9  
my 555e was doing same thing,and the ground cable was coroded all the way,replaced it and starts with no problem now

/ Hard starting 555E #10  
Are you sure the battery is good? Diesel engines need more amps then car engines and if your battery is marginal, it will have dificulty turning over the engine.

My 555E starts great in warm weather, but when it gets cold out, it cranks real slow. My problem is that my battery isn't up to the job. I made the mistake of letting my ex's cousin get me a "deal" on a new battery. He's been a diesel mechanic for over 30 years and is very knowledgable, but he doesn't apply that knowledge to what he does himself. He put a battery in there that doesn't have the amp rating required by the manual. Since winter is only two months here, I just deal with it and cuss him out every time I have to start it when it's cold out. LOL

Take out the battery and have it tested on a battery tester for cranking power. Voltage can be great, but when it's under load is what you need to know.

If that checks out good, pull the cables and clean them really good. Are they the factory installed cables? Sometimes people will cut corners and put in a cable that's smaller then original to save a buck. I had this on my dump truck. Once I replaced the thin cable with a larger one, all my problems disapeared.

Good luck,
Eddie