new "dump truck"

/ new "dump truck" #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
Picked up my new farm truck tonight.

$1500 1985 C30 chevy with dump bed and plow.

(crappy pic from tonight)

dump_truck.jpg

The dump bed doesnt go up all the way. im assuming it needs oil.

I dropped Eddie a pm, hear was his response.

On mine, there is the pump that is connected to my PTO shaft. Probably the same with yours. Then there is a high preasure hose from the pump that goes to the cylinder.

Behind my cylinder, there is another hose that goes back to the pump. This is my resevoir. When the piston moves under preasure, it also forces the fluid on the other side of the piston in and out through the low preasure hose to the pump.

If yours is similar, then there is a screw on the top of the cylinder. Mine looks like a giant philips head, but it's big enough that I can take it off with a large flat blade screwdriver. I do this with the bed up.

My pump is intergrated into the base of the cylinder. so there are no hoses. there is a pto saft that runs to it from "under the cab" (ill take a pic in the morning)

there is a large bung hole plug on the top end of the cylinder. i assume thats were you fill.

you fill with it compleatly up? with it down?

will my FEL on my tractor lift the bed past the point the pump takes it?

/ new "dump truck" #2  
Whenever you hoist that bed up and plaec yourself between the frame or cab of the truck and the bed in a raised position make sure and block the bed so if something gives it will not slam down on you. I actually knew of one person who didn't and when he cracked the pressure on a hose to replace it the bed crushed him.

/ new "dump truck" #3  
That's about the exact truck I'm looking for. It's the $1500 part that is most often missing...

jb

/ new "dump truck"
for all the truck pics
Sep 2007

so i take that plug out and put what in?

same hydraulic fluid i use in the tractor?

/ new "dump truck" #5  
schmism said:
for all the truck pics
Sep 2007

so i take that plug out and put what in?

same hydraulic fluid i use in the tractor?

Why don't you call the manufacturer of the dump hydraulics and ask them? That way you'll get the right answer. Or maybe the body company tag is still visible. They would also be a good info source. Or maybe you have a truck body company nearby that you can ask.

Be careful. I had a dump body let go on me and I was lucky enough to get out in time.

/ new "dump truck"
There is a tag, but i dont know if its still visable, ill see what i can clean up.

in hind site i should have moved my block from the other side to the side i was taking pics from so i wouldnt get a tone of "block the bed you idiot" posts ;)

but there was one there.

/ new "dump truck"
Builder said:
Why don't you call the manufacturer of the dump hydraulics and ask them?

info on the ancient brass tag barely readable after scrubbing with scotch brite pad.

Gar Wood hydraulics. model D7LU

No info found.

Last edited:
   / new "dump truck" #8  
If it was mine, I would see if I could drain it, and fill with TDH. Most fill almost full collapsed (leaving a little Ullage, or expansion room) and then suck up most of it to make it too the extended position.

Looks like a deal, parts will be easily available at any local auto parts store.

/ new "dump truck"
Agreed. There is another plug on the bottom? (i know... go look) ;)

AlanB said:
If it was mine, I would see if I could drain it, and fill with TDH. Most fill almost full collapsed (leaving a little Ullage, or expansion room) and then suck up most of it to make it too the extended position.

Looks like a deal, parts will be easily available at any local auto parts store.

and any jegs or JCwitney or similar after market catalog.